Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Rothenbacker is Prothe (shunned by the TDI Club crowd)

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/rothenbacher-engineering-strike.310437/

A Gates or Continental will last beyond the service spec ... I'd trust either over a Rothenbacker belt.

Below is a Continental on the ALH TDI in my Vanagon. The Water Pump locked up. The TB had 50k miles on it ....... It withstood the locked up WP and did not jump time. I actually re-started the engine to move the Van a little farther off the road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Indeed! Rothenbacker is no-name knock-off parts made in China. I would *NEVER* use timing components from Prothe/hansautoparts/emiata! IMO it is a very good thing that you are doing the timing belt.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Okay, I had read much about Prothe quality issues, but the belt seems stout. I guess the rubber might be poor quality. Glad I asked.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

AndyBees, was it an aftermarket water pump? The problem I'm having is finding a real OEM water pump. I keep reading bad stuff about the one that I can get. So, not sure if it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, or put in a pump that is known to have a short life span.

I'll have to decide that for myself, almost like flipping a coin.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

When I purchased the 2002 ALH TDI engine to do the conversion, it had 129k miles on it. I know the guy I purchased it from as well as the guy he purchased it from. Both are TDIClub members. Anyway, the car was rear-ended, totaled which was revealed on the forums long before I got the engine. The guy I got it from decided to go a different route with his Tacoma TDI conversion. The Cluster showed 129k miles (I got everything to do the conversion.) I purchased it in September, 2007.

At 129k miles, I just assumed that a complete TB job had been done at about 100k miles. So, at 129k miles everything should have been fine other than the age of the TB. Thus, when I got the conversion going, I did only a TB change, which obviously was a mistake. So, roughly 50k miles later at approximately 179k miles, the Water Pump locked up.....

Yes, it was a made in Germany Water Pump, Geba with metal impeller.

Go with a Conti or a Gates and your engine will be fine!

Last edited by AndyBees on Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There seem to be two versions. 30mm hub and 40mm hub. Is everything else the same except the hub size/ pulley bolt spacing?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Is JP Group a good brand of water pump?

Also their pump works on Vanagon diesel up to 4/82. Mine is an '83. What is the difference?
Justkampers has an unbranded one made in Italy.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Graf is a good brand too.

You should measure the hub to determine which size you need.

Last edited by AndyBees on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

It's a 40mm. Also I should replace the thermostat at the same time, what temp is right for a turbo diesel 1.6? I see 87 deg, 80 deg and 71 deg.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I can get a Hepu water pump housing, and a Geba water pump from separate vendors. I could assemble it myself and have an all German water pump. I just read a thread called "Graf water pumps suck", so I am not sure. Probably it's hit and miss with any brand.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

That's interesting! Graf is made in Italy and has been a good product with the TDI engines.

Do you have a link to that Thread with the negative feed-back on the Graf.

"Graf water pumps suck" <<<< That's what they are supposed to do! Very Happy
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700084&highlight=graf+water+pump
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I think you can decry any brand if you wanted to. I probably overthought the whole thing and ordered the two separate pieces. In general though, when you go with separate components you get the best.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Actually that thread is bunk.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Actually that thread is bunk.

I agree 100% with your afterthought!
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I got lucky today in that the water pump came apart from the housing pretty easily. Someone in the past had used anti-seize, probably. I was missing a bolt on the water pump, I found. So, would anyone recommend a product to use on the new water pump gasket? Whatever was used in the past is not RTV.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There is one unique bolt (kind of a T for the head) that slips into the water pump housing so that it pokes out and holds the timing cover in place with a nut.

I would use a very light coat of Permatex Ultra Blue on the gasket but most gasket sealers would work fine.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
There is one unique bolt (kind of a T for the head) that slips into the water pump housing so that it pokes out and holds the timing cover in place with a nut.

For those interested it's #13 in this diagram
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Okay so from the looks of it, I don't have the right lower TB cover. This is all I have. Edit, I see that is from an '86. Looks like better protection than what I have.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Also, the manual calls for 7 ft. pounds of torque on water pump bolts. Do folks follow that or go a tad higher?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: