Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What paint gun are you using?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I am researching paint guns for BC/CC, Single-stage, Epoxy, 2K primer, and heavy high build primer. I am interested in a reasonably priced hobbyist gun that will deliver decent results and won't degrade before I am done with my project.
Bonus points awarded for guns that have rebuild parts and varied fluid tip and needle sets available.

- What gun are you using for any/all of the above product types?
- Would you get the same gun again?
- Please provide a link or part number if possible.

Thanks,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I’m a newbie when it comes to painting but b4 I make any kind of purchase I like to do my homework & find all info and product reviews. Based on that I purchased the MasterPro 44.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Performance-Spray-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B07HNFDCT9?th=1

Many professionals rated it as good as their $500 & greater hvlp guns. I used it for my basecoat & clearcoat. I used a Sharpe Finex with a 1.4 needle for my epoxy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As a side note if you haven’t decided on what clear you will be using, based on my 3mths of reviewing products I recommend Tamco high solids euro clear. Can’t buy it over the counter but from the time I place an order only takes 2-3 days to my door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

For primer i just use the Harbor freight $14 guns. I think 1.7 tip, they work better than expected. They last as long as you keep them clean and if not, a replacement is cheap and easy. I have a Dewalt with 1.4 tip for paint, but i use SS paint for VW's, your clear may ask for 1.3. In addition to researching a paint gun, once you get yours, spend some time playing with volume, air pressures and fan patterns.GL.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

X2 on Sharpe Finex line

I have one. I think it came with 2 tips or maybe I got the extra one when I bought it, 1.5 for single stage topcoat and 1.8 for primer. I use it a decent amount. It works well, I'd say it shoots just as good as other more expensive "professional" guns.

The cheap Harbor frieght and Amazon type guns can work suprising well, but usually not for that long. Semi-disposable.

I actually have a detail gun I bought for 40 bucks that I basically use instead of spray paint for various general purpose stuff and small jobs. It works great, actually has a decent finish and overall the quality surprised me.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Devilbiss Finishline for paint, cheap harbor freight guns for primer.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
...I used a Sharpe Finex with a 1.4 needle for my epoxy.
I looked on Amazon and saw several "Finex" line guns available. Any chance you have a model number handy? FX3000 perhaps?

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
...As a side note if you haven’t decided on what clear you will be using, based on my 3mths of reviewing products I recommend Tamco high solids euro clear
I am 99% certain I will be using SPI Epoxy, High Build, and Clear and Motobase or Wanda BC/color.
SPI recommends a 1.4 when shooting their epoxy and clears, and a 1.8/2.0 when shooting 2K primer. Motobase and Wanda recommend a 1.4 from what I have read.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Devilbiss for paint, cheap harbor freight guns for primer.

Bingo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Bingo
Is it the FLG4 (US Model) or the FLG5 (UK Model). The FLG4 uses something like 13-14 SCFM. If the FLG4, what size compressor are you using with it? I have a 220 VAC / 3 HP / 60 Gal rebranded Puma compressor that puts out 12 SCFM @ 90 PSI. I can't remember what the output is @ 40 PSI.

-----
Emil

fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Its the GTI 2003 model year

https://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/products/dev...0-overview

The compressor should do fine. I have the HD version.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I'm doing my own paint/body on my Beetle. Never done it, before. Scared out of my mind because I'm afraid of it looking like dog meat. I was recommended by NAPA and National Coatings to get DeVilbiss' Starting Line. Comes with two guns for prime, base, and clear coats. Not looking to do it as a career and I'm not out a lot of money for a single major project. They said it's forgiving on laying down a quality coat. Yes, there are better made guns. But this seems to be a good bang-for-buck setup. So far, I've epoxy primed my pan. It made me look like I knew what I was doing the whole time. I haven't tried my base/clear coats, yet. I didn't ask if this set is good for one stage acrylic because I'm not going that direction.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-802343?seid...yyEALw_wcB
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Shane Tuttle wrote:
I'm doing my own paint/body on my Beetle. Never done it, before. Scared out of my mind because I'm afraid of it looking like dog meat. I was recommended by NAPA and National Coatings to get DeVilbiss' Starting Line. Comes with two guns for prime, base, and clear coats. Not looking to do it as a career and I'm not out a lot of money for a single major project. They said it's forgiving on laying down a quality coat. Yes, there are better made guns. But this seems to be a good bang-for-buck setup. So far, I've epoxy primed my pan. It made me look like I knew what I was doing the whole time. I haven't tried my base/clear coats, yet. I didn't ask if this set is good for one stage acrylic because I'm not going that direction.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-802343?seid...yyEALw_wcB

The gun doesn't matter so much, just spend your time "getting to know" whatever gun you get... for best results.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

[quote="Evil_Fiz"]
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
...I used a Sharpe Finex with a 1.4 needle for my epoxy.
I looked on Amazon and saw several "Finex" line guns available. Any chance you have a model number handy? FX3000 perhaps?

My mistake, my Sharpe hvlp is actually an older model called a Cobalt. Not sure if it is still available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I have the fx3000
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
...I actually have a detail gun I bought for 40 bucks that I basically use instead of spray paint for various general purpose stuff and small jobs. It works great, actually has a decent finish and overall the quality surprised me.
Do you recall the brand or part number?
I would like to get a "Mini" gun to shoot suspension and small parts as well as the hard-to-reach nether regions of the car. I need to shoot all the cavities because I stripped the entire car to bare metal.

Thanks for your feedback,
Emil

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

X4 cheap Harbor Freight for primer!!!
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I used a Wagner Motocoat. Came with two guns, a big gun for spraying bedliner, undercoat, and plasti-dip. smaller gun for paint. I used the small gun. Sprayed the water-based base coat, and regular solvent based clear. I did not have to worry about compressors, pressure drops, or water or oil from the compressor tainting my paint.
My opinion, take it for what its worth. Better gun might reduce your labor (wet sanding, buffing) if you know what you are doing with it. Lay down more paint than you think you need. This gives you a little buffer to work with when you are sanding and buffing. You do not want to burn through to primer if you are using single stage, or burn through to base coat if you are spraying clear.
I applied my high build with a roller. It was slower than using a gun, but I did small sections, no overspray, no gun cleaning. My paint job looks just like Derricks (almost same color). You can transform a "dog meat" paint job into a nice looking car if you allow yourself enough thickness to fix the mistakes.
I read through the Harbor Freight thread about people using the HF turbine gun (HVLP), and in fact I had one but I chickened out and bought the Wagner. The Wagner has a longer hose, a larger diameter hose, plus it had the two guns.
Marion, Iowa
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

The harbor freight Black Widow gets good reviews by users on YouTube. It is supposed to be a good copy of I think a Saita to the point that the parts are interchangeable. It was my second choice to the MasterPro 44.

https://www.harborfreight.com/collections/black-fr...56152.html
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
The harbor freight Black Widow gets good reviews by users on YouTube. It is supposed to be a good copy of I think a Saita to the point that the parts are interchangeable. It was my second choice to the MasterPro 44.

https://www.harborfreight.com/collections/black-fr...56152.html
I've considered the Black Widow because I also saw good reviews for it, especially as a clear coat gun. My hesitation is parts availability and tip sizes. Do you have any links to the details on interchangeability with Sata parts? If Sata tips, needles, and air caps can be used then that gun is a definite contender.

-----
Emil

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

I have a Finishline for general primer use and 3 TEKNAs for clear and basecoats. as well as a cupless system for painting upside down.

All of this from my painting days.

The Teknas were and still are great. I've sprayed a few SATAs and found the Teknas as good.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What paint gun are you using? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
...I actually have a detail gun I bought for 40 bucks that I basically use instead of spray paint for various general purpose stuff and small jobs. It works great, actually has a decent finish and overall the quality surprised me.
Do you recall the brand or part number?
I would like to get a "Mini" gun to shoot suspension and small parts as well as the hard-to-reach nether regions of the car. I need to shoot all the cavities because I stripped the entire car to bare metal.

Thanks for your feedback,
Emil

This is the one I have. Dynastus Touch Up 4.2 oz HVLP Air Spray Gun Auto Car Detail Paint Sprayer Spot Repair, with Regulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L3C1DW2/ref=cm_sw_r_c...&psc=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: