Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting a vise to a workbench
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

I have a 6ft Husky workbench from Home Depot. The legs are of hollow steel and the leg mounting brackets are really close to the edge of the wood surface. I have a small vise that I want to install on one of the front corners. The holes of the vise fall directly in line with the steel construction below.

I am trying not to riddle this work surface but I am not sure how to mount this vise. I have thought about using lag bolts, but I'd certainly prefer to use nuts and bolts for a more secure mounting.

Does anyone have this same bench that has a vise mounted on it?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Ready-to-Assembl.../206288247
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

That ones gonna be rough... Im not sure lags would give enough strength to use a vise as its meant to be used. Mine is mounted to a 2" oak top with steel plate under the wood. I beat the crap out of stuff in the vise so it has to be mounted really solid.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

so far as long as I've had my VW (3 years), I've only need my vice to hold things, and not so much for beating. Not that it won't ever happen, but certainly rare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

I would use a thick base on top, with another thick plate underneath, bolted through the wood bench top using bolts and large washers. It may be worth drilling it and bolting the vice to it before mounting, countersinking the bolts if needed.

That way you are not relying on the thin top for strength.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Drill hold and add either wood blocks or some steel plate underneath to reinforce the top.

I made my own workbench and one for my son.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

I made my own bench that looks almost exactly like Glens. I pre-drilled through the top into the 2x4's. This allowed three of the four mounting points to line up over the 2x4's and I used lag bolts.

The last one I just cut the lag bolt short, and just went into the top surface. Like Crankbait, I just use it to hold stuff, rarely do I ever pound on it much. But I definitely do some light to moderate hammering from time to time. It's plenty stable for what I do.

Now if I was going all blacksmith on it, I'd probably use a plate and bolt for the last mounting point.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

in Phoenix, I have a workbench that I put together from a kit in the early 1980s, looks somewhat like Glenn's. Even my bench vise is mounted in almost exactly the same place.

I posted to add two suggestions:
1. I securely mounted the workbench to studs behind the wallboard.Especially important when I've also mounted my bench-mounted engine stand at the end of the bench (near the bench vise).

2. I mounted my 6" bench grinder to a short piece of 2 x 4; then when I need to use my bench grinder, I set that 2 x 4 into the bench vise to secure it. I also have a bench-mount drill press bolted at the opposite end of the bench.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Glenn wrote:

in Phoenix, I have a workbench that I put together from a kit in the early 1980s, looks somewhat like Glenn's. Even my bench vise is mounted in almost exactly the same place.

Left handed also?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

The jaws of my 5" vice hang over the front edge, so I can clamp long stuff vertically when desirable. It's inboard from the end of the workbench.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

if your using the bench with a engine adapter, make sure the bench is stable and secure. unlike this...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for Mighty Putty! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Best and one of the cheapest work bench is an old commercial flush wood door. 1-3/4” thick nominal size is 36” x 80” or 84” you can find 96”one too. The core of the doors are usually made of a very dense particle board, solid. Find a door supply company in your area and ask if they have any door that are damaged or they can no longer sell. They will probably just give it to you to get it out of their way. At least that’s what we do if we have any.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

I would try to mount the vice to the top before securing the top to the legs. Use carriage bolts from the bottom and countersink them slightly so they don't foul up the legs.

I built my own bench on top of some old cabinets salvaged from my house remodel. My vice is mounted on the corner as close to the edges as I can get it so it can be used on the side or on the front.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

When I mounted my Columbia on the bench I used heavy stove bolts. The fixed portion of the jaw is parrallel with bench top. This allow a square or plumb area for stuff hang down.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1012351931/vintage-columbian-d43-12-swivel-bench

It is pretty heavy duty

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

I just mounted my 6" Columbian last week. The base only has three holes, I guess since there's usually a table leg in the way on that corner anyway. I used long bolts and fender washers. The table is 2x2" 1/8" wall tubing with a 1/2" steel plate under the stainless top.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Ok here’s another Columbian vise. I built the bench over 20 years ago when wood was cheap, vise came from a flea market cheap. It’s seen a lot of action

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

My bench is 2x6s so I just used lag bolts. I really like this Versa Vice I found at an antique store recently.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Took the time to show off mine....Columbian D 45. Was out scouting VW parts and the fellow had this sitting on the ground...asked if it was for sale, yes, picked it and a small anvil for thirty five bucks. Quite the deal.
It is mounted with the fixed jaw in parallel with the front of the bench. The bench is 2x6 sub top with 3/4 plywood on top.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Be careful with that COLUMBIAn free base, it was prone to fires in a Pryor life.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a vise to a workbench Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Be careful with that COLUMBIAn free base, it was prone to fires in a Pryor life.

But when that fire hits your ass, it’ll sober you up real quick..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: