Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat area rebuild
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

Hi there,

So winter is officially here and my 74 is going to be put away. I figure now would be a good time to redo the rear seat delete. Someone at some point put rear seats in it. I'd like to recreate the factory no seat. I managed to find an old thread that 74Ghia helped with..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I found an old picture he had about the bottom panel and have a question on it. Is this piece basically an L lying on its back or does that vertical piece extend just slightly past the back? Any help would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my 72's in its original state. The lip sits forward and is canted back slightly. Hopefully this helps you a bit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

this is how I made mine for a '72

some support for big butts, I can not lie

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

I made mine from MDF and put in 2 12” subs.
I can’t believe I don’t have a picture I can share.
Must still be on film and not digitized.

Anyway, yes. It’s basically an L.
I used cardboard to cut out a template then mocked up the pieces.
You will need some support for the L.
I reinforced mine about 6” in on each side.

I’ll see if I have any photos that I haven’t posted yet.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice. I have lots to do after the holidays. Very Happy
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

I did the same for my 71 vert. I took the opportunity to use the newly created space to mount my audio Amp to the plywood underside along with several other items to support my upgraded electronic gadgets.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

I have a question. I have purchased a 1973 Ghia convertible. I was told that the 73 did not come with a back seat? Is this correct?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have a question. I have purchased a 1973 Ghia convertible. I was told that the 73 did not come with a back seat? Is this correct?

Correct.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
EJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

I have a 73 with everything missing in the back seat area... not even the rear seat delete. I would like to put a back seat in, but can't find one anywhere. I can only find seat covers. Any idea where to find a seat, and will a seat from an earlier model (before the seat-belt issue) fit the '73?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat area rebuild Reply with quote

EJT wrote:
I have a 73 with everything missing in the back seat area... not even the rear seat delete. I would like to put a back seat in, but can't find one anywhere. I can only find seat covers. Any idea where to find a seat, and will a seat from an earlier model (before the seat-belt issue) fit the '73?

Try The Samba Classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1358985
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: