Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I'll let the police handle the issue

But what you’d like to do to them and not get thrown in jail for doing it. Is this Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

I'll let the police handle the issue

But what you’d like to do to them and not get thrown in jail for doing it. Is this Wink

Link

Eggzactically!

Thank you for making me chuckle a bit tonight. I needed that!

It's been an awful week as you can probably surmise.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

If there was no oil in it how far could they gone? Unless they had a flat bed.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Perhaps quite a way.........remember the old "engine blow' events at VW shows?
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Perhaps quite a way.........remember the old "engine blow' events at VW shows?

Back in the 70s I saw one go almost 15 minutes at 3000rpm with no oil.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
If there was no oil in it how far could they gone?

When an oil stud vibrated loose from my original 1971 engine back in 2003, and ALL the oil drained out, Mrs. Cusser was able to go 3 miles before the engine stalled out.

As I've posted before: the engine did not seize, but did flake off some bearing shells from main #2. I found bearing slivers on the screen, and after driving it 3 more years finally tore it down and rebuilt it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

If they got on the highway or up to 40+mph for any period of time, they probably threw a rod after about 30 seconds...
With no oil I doubt it would run at speed for more than maybe 5 minutes, without seizing up.

Even at 15mph with a dry crankcase... That engine burned up in a couple minutes unless they towed it away, or possibly if they live very close by and were able to hide it in a nearby business or garage, or worse case drove it into a truck or something for transport, someone had waiting down the road... in which case it probably wasn't the meth heads, but a more serious criminal. I am under belief that if a thief really wants a car, they will do what they need to take it. Even with a bunch of anti theft equipment, they can usually still tow the car away. Hopefully you get some info soon.

Hopefully the asshole didn't notice before and do a refill.... possibly using oil you had lying around... anything's possible I guess.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

… was your '67 insured? Pretty car, too - Start looking for another - bet you never get it back - we had the front seat stolen out of our single-cab and never got it back- another one was expensive - good luck bro. - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… was your '67 insured? Pretty car, too - Start looking for another - bet you never get it back - we had the front seat stolen out of our single-cab and never got it back- another one was expensive - good luck bro. - z

A lot of full cars do get recovered. It's about a 50% chance IMO.

Depends on a lot of factors.

I'm not surprised you never found your seat.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the BS. Unfortunately the feeling of being robbed will last for a long time. I have been there. Take care.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your car ...most likely it was and is someone you know maybe a friends friend or family friend there are some shady people around just looking to get what others have that they can't have so they have to go down that shady way in stealing ...karma will hit them sooner our later ....I would question everybody that's had been to your place over the years because most likely he's been to your place our place in which your car was stolen from .....
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Ya, it is really sad to hear. When I saw it on chickensoups signature I did a double take, couldn't even believe my eyes, the horror! The best thing to do is just realize what happened is out of your control, the past is the past. Some good will eventually come out of this, one way or another. Don't let it get you down. We feel for you. You clearly cared for that car and I know put a lot of time, effort, blood, sweat and tears, into all the small details that really made it your own and something to be proud of. If you have to build another one I'm sure it will somehow turn out even better!

Short story... I had a friend in high school. He got his car stolen in front of him. Literally... he left the keys in the ignition and was dicking around with friends about 30 feet away, looked over, saw a figure jump into the car, then ran after his car as it drove away into to horizon... Laughing
The police found it, after being notified by a concerned citizen, about a month later. It was parked about 30 miles away in a quiet suburban neighborhood.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

I think Evan hit the nail on the head. It's all the little things that made it mine.

Doing mental inventory on what I did to the car has me rather sad to see it gone.
I searched for 5 years for 67 inside door lock pulls. Finally found one two years ago and the other this last year.

The 67 type SAW racing axles were the last available in the USA, to my knowledge. Thanks to the trans builder finding them from a retired So. Cal. drag racer.

Then there is all the parts I bought from the classifieds here. I don't have any receipts for those purchases. Unless I can find them in the PayPal site records.

The thief made a stop at AutoZone and charged $700+ on one of my credit cards. SO maybe they bought some oil. Who Fn knows.

I have been searching offerup and CL for parts from my car. No hits yet.

But the first MFr I find locally with a CSP EVO exhaust on his car. Is gonna get a pretty long line of questions. If not from myself, the Police!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss.

If they stopped at AutoZone, they will be on video. You can ask the police to inquire about footage.

Maybe if your nice they might let you look at it. Maybe you might recognize the thief.

I had credit cards stolen before and they went on a shopping spree at Walmart. Walmart would not let me see the video, only the police. And the police didn't care to investigate. But since you had a car stolen, drugs stolen, and a passport, maybe they will actually do something. I hope they find your car in one piece.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

I think they will find the car. Clearly this criminal is not smart, and probably not a "professional" or experienced one, at least in this magnitude.

The fact that the guy was driving around a stolen car that is a head turner and sticks out like a sore thumb, then makes a few petty stops at various businesses to commit more crimes for a bunch of witnesses and cameras too see? Good job idiot... Applause The guy is a clown. Hopefully he does time. Spending that much at the flaps I imagine took more than a few minutes of him dicking around the store talking to an employee or three.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Regardless of whether it’s a ‘67, a Rolls Royce or Ford Edsel they have taken away something that you cherish or even love. I’m sorry for that.

I hope that it turns out well for you. There’s enough goodwill on here to at least have most if not all of us understand your loss. None of us would want to be in your shoes at the moment. But we all are there rooting for you.

Best of luck to you from Australia.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Any luck yet Rusty?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything from HBPD, to date.

A real insult, came from one of the credit card companies that I reported fraud to.
They say I profited from the purchase that triggered my suspicion that my house had been broken into. Go figure!

janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

If the real target was your '67, it may be parked somewhere (e.g., long-term at PDX) for a few days in case it has a theft recovery device installed, before being retrieved by the pros and loaded onto a container for parts unknown.
otis64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Take no prisoners man!!! :snipersmile: :2gunfire:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: