Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

I really dislike thieves. My first bug was stolen back in 2005. I got it back about a week later. Lazy cops didn't notify me someone reported it and it was recovered. Cost me a few extra hundred bucks there. Eres what she looked like before and Here's what was left of her. Hope you get yours back in savable condition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dan97019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your car getting stolen I hope you are able to get it back in one piece. I live in the Gresham area and I will get the word out among my friends and keep an eye out for it around here. If there are any homeless camps in your area you should probably check some of those. They're finding alot of stolen cars along marine drive around the homeless camps out here.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen today Reply with quote

Misery loves company.
40 years ago my baby was nicked. In the middle of the gas crises, but I suspect it was stolen to get drug money.
I'm still not over it.
I hope yours has a happier ending!

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Updated the post info to reflect the date stolen. Rather than the day of the week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

KTPhil,
Beautiful car.

It's hard to look out the front door at the empty space where my beetle was parked.

Tomorrow will be day 7 since it was taken and I haven't heard a word from the HBPD on their findings.
The upside is I'm still getting emails from the primary investigator, asking more questions.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

any update?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
any update?

Not a peep from the HBPD.
The car will be declared a total this coming Tuesday.

I have been working on the value of the parts that went into the engine and transmission. Along with other rare parts and I have bought from eBay and the classifieds here.

Currently the sum comes up just a little short of $12K. There's still more to add.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

please keep us informed on how the insurance company treats you. Very intrested in that aspect - I have Hagerty
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
please keep us informed on how the insurance company treats you. Very intrested in that aspect - I have Hagerty

Country Financial here.

We'll see how well they treat me on this claim!

Inn the mean time. I'm searching for a replacement car. There's really not much to choose from in the classifieds.

SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Inn the mean time. I'm searching for a replacement car. There's really not much to choose from in the classifieds.

Don’t limit yourself to just the samba classifieds. After a lot of searching for the right ‘66 I finally found the mine just using google and it appeared on autotrader, of all places!
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Don't assume the cops are trying to find video. Reach out to all your neighbors and see someone has a camera and call Autozone and any other stores they went to. Then tell the police what you found and let them look at it officially. Do the leg work bc a lot times they don't as it is the most time consuming. Sorry bro... that sucks!!

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:
Don't assume the cops are trying to find video. Reach out to all your neighbors and see someone has a camera and call Autozone and any other stores they went to. Then tell the police what you found and let them look at it officially. Do the leg work bc a lot times they don't as it is the most time consuming. Sorry bro... that sucks!!

Yes, X2, they will not put do any serious detective work otherwise. If you want a chance at finding it soon you must do some digging for them and then notify them when you have a lead. Then you also have to follow up with them. As much as you might want to be polite and let the cops do their job, that is unfortunately not in your best interest. The only job I would leave to the cops is the actual recovery and/or arrest.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Thanks oc and Evan.
Sadly the car as of today has been declared a total!

The police did follow up on the purchase video leads. But as Xevin said, it'll be hard to identify the thief when they were wearing masks while using my credit cards.

So it's down to me convincing the insurance company the value of the car and what I have invested in it to make it what I always wanted.

Chickensoup sent me a lead on a Zenithblau 67 today that would make a nice replacement car.

I just need to work out the details wit the insurance company,

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Well, luckily if it does get found at some point you can still keep it (buying back from insurance company at retention value if you want) and recover the majority of the cars value from the whole incident as well.

I would try to claim compensation for your time and labor, any work you personally did to the car. You may only need to have a picture before and after the work was done.

This is usually how it goes... My father is in the auto body business (estimator) and works with the insurance companies. Many vehicle thefts result in a total loss, but a lot of those still eventually get recovered, sometimes just dirty and a little dinged up. I wouldn't neccesarily get your hopes up, but just something to keep in mind.

Either way, I hope it works out well!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

The car will turn up, eventually. It's just a matter of time.
Yes I plan on buying it back if it is reasonable shape. Definitely if the trans is intact. That has the hard to find parts in it. The pedestrian joy rider won't know that it has racing axles.

Thanks for the tips on the before and after pics. Fortunately I posted most of my pics on ts. So that archive is not lost.
The backup pics are stored in my phone.

I have most of the receipts from the engine and trans build. just those two items came in well north of 10K. Shocked

I also need to find some comp pics of other 67's that are/were in the same condition as mine was. That's kinda hard, as most restomod vw's are repainted some fucked up color that is a complete turn off to me.

Oh well! I'll keep ya'll posted on the insurance results.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. Not sure of the overall condition of your car, but a nice example of a “Cal-Look” 65 sold for a nice price a little while back on BAT. Unless the vehicle had an agreed value policy, it will be a fight to the death to gain any value. Labor is something to consider. Even if you did all the work yourself, if the vehicle was to be recreated at a paid shop because you were unable to do so yourself for any reason, few can fathom the cost. The BAT 65 could never be recreated at a paid shop in 2021 for what it sold for.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-...eK7nW4xvjY
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Have you read this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75894
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Update!
So I received the final claim settlement offer from my insurance company.
The first offer of $8,100 and change was an insult. That got turned down.

The adjuster asked me what I thought the value of the car was.
I stated that I was expecting $18,000.
Let's just say that they responded with an offer over that number and leave it at that. Cool It was more than I expected.

I turned in all the receipts for my purchases, Pictures of the car, Itemized break down of what went into the car, to make it a low 14 second drag/street car.

A word of advise regarding what insurance companies expect for documentation.
Save all of your build receipts. Take pictures of your car inside and out. As well as the engine and transmission. Basically any mods you do to the car that makes it yours.

One thing in the negotiating process that stood out was, the company wanted to know the last time I had the oil changed at a shop.
Yeah, fat chance on that!
They actually value a vehicle on that minor, sometimes little thing.
The insurance company wants to see documented mileage, to valuate the car.

I have already secured another 67 to build over the winter and be ready for the upcoming peashooter racing season. Very Happy
It's a hideous Java Green67 that looks much worse than it really is.
It needs some work (don't they all) to get it road worthy.
But I shall persevere. And have a fun summer driver/racer!

Shocked

BTW, My insurance company is Country Financial.
They don't like insuring California vehicles. Even though I picked them up there in 2012. I was an Oregon resident working in Ca. at the time. I convinced my agent that I was on temporary assignment there.
Not the cheapest insurance company. But in the end, it all worked in my favor.
YMMV!

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

damn the color of those rear fenders gives me a big ol boner Laughing

reminds me of... well, the color i had mixed Wink

congrats on the new 67 btw. are you gonna paint this one?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sadly, my 67 was stolen 11/16/2021 Reply with quote

Im glad the insurance stepped up and paid you out fair. Now you just need to do all that work over again!

Well at least you found a new one to get working on. Im sure your documentation on this next build will be very very detailed.

Good luck on your new project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: