Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beau Palmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

Hey! I have been given a pop top (minus canvas) and would like to instal it on my 1979 tin top. Having a really hard time here and on YouTube finding anything that would be helpful in cutting the top of the bus, anything that has to be done, and how to instal the pop top.
Can someone please point me in the right direction with documents, videos, ANYTHING!
Thanks!
Beau

1979 White/Red Ca. Ed. Bay
1969 Beetle
2004 Jetta TDI
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

Beau Palmer wrote:
Hey! I have been given a pop top (minus canvas) and would like to instal it on my 1979 tin top. Having a really hard time here and on YouTube finding anything that would be helpful in cutting the top of the bus, anything that has to be done, and how to instal the pop top.
Can someone please point me in the right direction with documents, videos, ANYTHING!
Thanks!
Beau

Exactly what kind of pop top?

Here’s a start.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

besides what kind of pop top
sportsmobile, westfalia, ASI riviera, etc.

on a westfalia, what year of poptop?
early taller to the rear? later taller to the front?
the early roof profile remained curved. held a folding upper cot.
the later profile went to a flattened roof line for the double upper bunk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

Turn tiptop into cash
Turn hours into cash
Turn cash into westfalia.

This is by far the fastest, best, and cheapest way to do this
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

As far as I know, the roof top opening on pop tops is factory. That same as a factory sunroof. If you get out the sawsall to cut the top you’ll be hacking an original bus roof and most likely it will turn out poorly
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

if it's a westy pop top the whole roof structure is different. you could get away with it (kind of) on a non pop top non sunroof early bay but the late bays have a totally different roof clip for the pop top

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

Back in the 80's a friend of mine bought a vw camper interior and the early little pop top (rose straight up in the air, 4 sides of canvas) out of a junkyard and put it in their '67 bus. He was an engineer, and said cutting the roof for the top was a bit nerve wracking.
I've toyed with the idea of an early bay pop top to go on the currently non op sunroof on my late bus, but other items take priority....
Beau Palmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to turn a tin top into a pop top, HELP. Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!
It is a pop top that is low at the rear of the bus and high to just behind the drivers seat.
I will read what the links that were presented, thank you!
I was thinking that I would not cut the entire top off but just the space where the short riviera would go, just so I could stand to put on pants and have some ventilation, forgoing the use of a bed in the rest of the space and just use it for storage. That would mean, I believe, not cutting any support structures, just the sheet metal.
Please feel free to add more info or opinion while I sort this out!
Thank You!!!
Beau

1979 White/Red Ca. Ed. Bay
1969 Beetle
2004 Jetta TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: