Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem with new fuse box
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Really could use some help, as I knew I would return to the experts. Needed to replace the fuse box in my buggy, as I replaced some fuses and the frailed wiring almost came apart just by simple taking the fuses out. Anyway I decided to replace the box itself. Replaced it from the older ceramic fuses to the blade type .Followed the wires , took them out one by one from left to right. Put the battery cable back on and nothing worked except the head lights, witch came on with out turning the head light switch on. Nothing else is working even after I turn the key to the on position. no turn signal lights no running lights, nothing. When I connect the battery, the Alternator light comes on with out turning the key to the on position as well. Obviously I have some mixed wires some where, I thought I followed them correctly for the the old box. Before this fuck up, everything was working fine. Where do I start to correct this? I think its just a matter of switched wires some where. How can I trace them. Some pics to see where I'm at with this. Please any help would be greatly appreciated... old box. this buggy was wired what looks like wiring the PO used from anything he could find. So there are no WV color wires what so ever. FYI,,,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

new box

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

First off you need to identify what wire serves what purpose on the power supply end (from battery/ignition switch/dash switch etc.) and then to the destination end of wire ( lights/horn/turn signals etc.) .... Maybe use masking tape and felt marker or number tapes to label/number wires and then create a list of what number wire serves what purpose.... And understand what fuse by number (left to right) serves what purpose....
Time consuming and tedious, but its really going to be one wire at a time since all wires are same color and you don't have master wiring diagram...

Are you sure you supplied the fuses in new panel with same capacity as ceramic fuse that was "replaced"....

A really simple too for identifying if you have 12 volts on circuit or not is this.... Something like $5 to $10 at FLAPS...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Could not match the fuses since the old box had a 16 ceramic fuse and the rest where 8. The new fuses are are 15. and 7.5. Could not find any fuses with the old configuration. Looked every where. Why would just the head lights come on when I add power and nothing else?..

Last edited by legotech7 on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Could not match the fuses since the old box had a 16 ceramic fuse and the rest where 8. The new fuses are are 15. and 7.5. Could not find any fuses with the old configuration. Looked every where.

Probably close enough if they have not blow from over current draw....

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Dale M., nothing blew when I added power. I double checked to make sure.. What headache..
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Dale M., nothing blew when I added power. I double checked to make sure.. What headache..

This is why you need to document everything you can about fuse panel and wire function (by number tab).... I prefer something like this and number wire for what ever fuse position it is served by... And never have to go through brail methods again...

Your other option may be to completely rewire buggy with something like Rebel wiring harness where it has multiple colors and each with has printed designation....

You only have few wires.... I had whole buggy...

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

LOL, brail methods indeed. I need to figure this out .. If all fails, I guess I'll end up rewiring. I will try to trace them first. Where do you think I should start?..
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
LOL, brail methods indeed. I need to figure this out .. If all fails, I guess I'll end up rewiring. I will try to trace them first. Where do you think I should start?..

I'd start at battery positive terminal. See if there's a heavy gauge wire from there, or from where battery positive cable connects to starter solenoid. There's also a wire from solenoid to B+ terminal on alternator (or generator), and it's possible a buggy could have something power'd from there too, tho not likely.

BTW did you not take a picture of the old fusebox with wires connected?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Start at fuse number 1 and try to determine what it does.... Move wires accordingly ... Once fuse number one is correct try fuse number two and so on.... Do not disconnect anything not necessary to keep confusion level down it may be that most of the wiring may be correct...

Stop looking at the forest and work with the 6 trees one at a time...

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

MrGoodtunesThanks , I will try that and see where it leads me. Yes I believe I have some pics of the box some where. I'll check and post..

Thank you...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Dale M. excuse my ignorance, but when you say fuse #1, do you mean from left to right? Since the aren't numbered. I'll post what I find... Thanks...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Dale M. excuse my ignorance, but when you say fuse #1, do you mean from left to right? Since the aren't numbered. I'll post what I find... Thanks...

We are a left to right society.... But the choice is yours.... First fuse on left would be MY #1 but then first blank fuse on right could be YOUR #1, that would make first equipped fuse #7 and last equipped fuse #12......Its your choice.....

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

I went with a modern blade fuse panel and hotrod harness on my race car. Everything is labeled and nothing is old and brittle. They go from 8 up to 20+ fuses depending on what you want to run. It was under $100 shipped and well work the headache savings.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Thanks Dale M.. Got it.. To be continued......
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

vwfye, where did you get the kit from?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

epay vendor. just type in how many fuses you want.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
... Put the battery cable back on and nothing worked ...
This is why I suspect that the wire bringing in +12v from battery positive to new busebox is your primary culprit. I would expect incoming power should go to the top of fuse #1, where the short red jumper wire is (and was, 'cuz it is still there on old fusebox).

legotech7 wrote:
... except the head lights, witch came on with out turning the head light switch on ...
This may be where incoming power is miss-connected, feeding headlights, instead of entire system.

legotech7 wrote:
... Alternator light comes on with out turning the key to the on position ...
This fact complicates matters, suggests there could be more than one wrong connection.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes, That makes a lot of sense. So from the picture I posted of the new fuse panel, where would I make the switch?. Car electronics is not my forte. So please excuse the detailed inquiries. I have to try to in vision in my head what your are saying. Hope its a s simple as switching wires..
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
... where would I make the switch?

That will depend upon the result of tracing +12v incoming power from battery positive; where does that wire come into new fusebox? Also need to know where other fusebox wires go (like Dale M has said). The only hope for a short-cut is if you had taken a pic of the old fusebox connections before dismantelling it. Maybe a previous pic could be zoom'd and crop'd to show old fusebox connections, and with alot of luck, might show an easy fix.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Looks like I'm SOL on a pic for the old fuse box, Can't find it anywhere on my computer. I'll try tracing the wires...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: