Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem with new fuse box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Think of the wiring as a water system....

Battery=Water Tank
Switch= Water Valve
Wire=Water Hose (pipe)
Light Bulb=Sprinkler

See nothing mysterious about electricals....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Thank you Dale M. lol.. the thing about water......... I have difficulty swimming...Good analogy though.. Soon as I get a chance to look at it, I'll post..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Are all those fuses supplied power from the large lugs on each end?

Wiring is simple really....you need a + and a - to everything. So make sure everything is grounded...thats your -.

So for a switched device you run power to a fuse, from the fuse to the switch, and from the switch to the device.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

jspbtown no power is supplied fro the ends. I just copied the transfer of the fuses from the old fuse panel to the new as you see it in the pictures. When I applied the power from the battery, the head lights turned on straight away, with out using the light switch. And nothing else worked. Applying my test light to each circuit, all had power. All this with out turning the ignition key on. I hope this makes some sense. I didn't bother to check if the ends to the new panel where supposed to be used to connect power to them. Should have I?.. I just thought the screws where just to attach the cover that came with the panel.. I'll be in the garage tomorrow, and see what I can find.. Thanks all...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Doing a little more searching, I found this. Its clearly marked battery positive on one end . I think this is where I made my mistake. So as you see those hot wires are in the wrong place?... How might I correct this?. I'll keep asking in an effort to not keep making any more F ups! Again , thanks everyone....

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

The "accessories" box makes no sense.

If one side the fuse panel has power from the large lugs then not sure why thee would would two wires coming from a fuse.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Wrong fuse panel for your application.... One row of screws is a ground source for accessory or what ever and one row of screws is a fused 12 volt source.... Ground is fed from one main terminal on one end of fuse panel to a row of screws and 12 Volts is fed to fuses that terminate on other row of screws....

You have a "distribution" panel and not a "inlne" fuse panel...

What are symbols molded into panel where yellow circles are.... Also think diagram for battery is wrong, as hard as it is to see there appears to be a plus (+) symbol on main fuse block supply post that battery is shown as connected to its negative post...

Where did you source fuse block from, need to see full product description...

Could be a really good fuse block for initial wiring with correct concept on how to use it...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I got the panel from a local source that assured me this would work. If its the wrong panel, with one do I really need? Would this box work better?

I feel like I'm spitting in the wind here! Couldn't find any information about the other box. What to do, what to do!...And of course , how to do it...I hope this isn't frustrating anyone... Cause it sure as hell frustrating me..
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

I'm wondering what the 3 yellow ovals are for at each end of the "wiring diagram" for your fuse box? I'm also wondering what all is connected from where the diagram shows battery positive going to the top mounting screw?! And I agree with jspbtown that the diagram's accessory indication is flaw'd or meaningless.

Some fuse boxes have certain terminals connected by a conducting bridge running between fuse terminals underneath. Can you see anything like that on the back side of your box, maybe by removing a back cover? Here's the back side of a fuse box I found in the Samba gallery, as a example:

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Gentlemen the 12 fuse panel block is distribution panel not a inline fuse panel it supplies fused 12 volt and ground... THE yellow ovals in previous post is to indicate polarity (12 Volts (+) and Ground (-)) in each row of screws.... And the "accessories" (in graphics) could be anything like a light circuit or a radio or honking big amplifier for the sound system to go over open exhaust...

Also to connect two fuses to same source (daisy chain) you may want to use one of this style terminal in first two positions...

Or maybe one or two of these...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Gentlemen, I got the panel from a local source that assured me this would work. If its the wrong panel, with one do I really need? Would this box work better?

I feel like I'm spitting in the wind here! Couldn't find any information about the other box. What to do, what to do!...And of course , how to do it...I hope this isn't frustrating anyone... Cause it sure as hell frustrating me..

THE 8 position panel like you have here is a "inline" fuse panel, yes it is correct replacement for ceramic fuse panel...

Probably the only thing you will have to do is move one wire at a time off 12 fuse panel to 8 fuse panel (like you transferred wires from ceramic fuses) and remove ring terminal off end of wire and replace it with a "push on" terminal....

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Thanks Dale M. and everyone else for your input. I will replace the panel with this one, since its fairly cheap ( 8 bucks on amazon ) soon as I get it. Easy if you have prime! And post results

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

I understand that wiring can seem challenging but you need to try to get a grasp as to how it works versus just throwing things at what you have trying to replicate things. Its really a recipe for disaster.

Like I said in my previous post...buggy wiring is really simple. Everything needs a ground (-) and a positive (+) to work.

So lets take a simple light bulb...you take a wire from the negative side of the battery and connect it to one tab on the light bulb. You then take a wire from the positive side of the battery and connect it to the other tab on the light bulb and viola! The light lights.

So now say you want to switch the bulb on with switch. The switch just interupts the current. You can do it on the negative side (in this example) or the positive side. In your buggy example you would do it on the positive side. So you cut the wire that comes from the battery in half, take the half that comes from the battery and connect it to one tab on the switch and then the other half of the wire that goes the light connect it to the other tab on the switch. You now have a switched circuit.

Now add in a fuse. The fuse protects the circuit so it should be placed on the positive wire in our example. So sticking with our example you would disconnect the wire that goes from the battery to the switch and connect it to one side of the fuse. From the other side of the fuse you run a wire back to the battery. So now the positive charge goes from the battery, to the fuse, to the switch and ultimately to the light.

There.....that is the basics of wiring in a buggy.

So lets try that in an actual application. The master cylinder has two switches attached to it. They are essential "on/off" switches that are activated by fluid pressure, but they are no different in function to any on/off switch. Now i the original VW application they work in tandem to activate a brake warning light that you likely do not have so you only really need one switch (keep the other one there as a built in spare). So using my example above you would take the positive from the battery, run it into a fuse, then from the fuse you would go to the switch on the master cylinder, then from the switch on the master cylinder you would go to a terminal on the rear brake light and then from that terminal you would jump over to the next brake light. Of course both brake light bulbs would need a ground (-) wire as well. You have just wired your brake lights.

Now there are of course other little thinks to consider like do you want power to something all the time or just when they buggy is in the "on" position? Thats called "keyed power" and you would get it from the key instead of the battery. And maybe your headlights where you would run power from a fuse, to the on/off switch, then to your dimmer switch, and then to the headlights, but it is all the same principal.

So as you go through this process try to understand the function of the wires and not just copying someone else's garbage wiring job. Wiring can be the most rewarding part of a buggy build even for a novice. Body/ paint/ complex mechanical can all require skill that takes years to learn. Wiring is just taking your time, being meticulous, and wanting to do a good job.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

jspbtown, Thank you so much for that explanation. The way you describe it, it does seem fairly simple. Like some folks especially me, I usually need a visual or a diagram to help me see things more clearly. I do appreciate the lay out and will try to follow. That's why I love this site...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

How much wiring is on the buggy? Some people build buggies with most of the features of modern cars, others are fairly basic. I fall into the second camp, it is kinda what a buggy means to me (to each their own -- that's what makes this sub-forum great.) I take the wiring down to dead simple. In the back you have the battery to ground and to starter and the alternator output to the big wire on the starter. I use a battery positive cable that comes with a smaller wire too, and I run that to a 1959 down Bug headlight fuse box. That is 2 fuses and 3 terminals (1 in, 2 out.)

I put that back by the battery so almost every wire is fuse protected. For the output I run a large yellow wire to the light switch and a large red wire to the ignition switch. Anything that has an ignition switched power supply is off the ignition switch. Anything that can be turned on with the car off is connected to the light switch power input. VW like to put brake lights, turn signals, and wipers on 1 ignition switched fuse, those are now hooked to the ignition switch (accessory terminal if it has one.) All the vehicle lights are already fused before power gets to the switch. The horn may also use that power source.

From there you can build up a more complex system. Perhaps you have seat heaters that need their own fuse. Perhaps you want to use a later light switch with 2 power inputs and give each one its own fuse so the headlights and rest of the lights each have separate fuses. Wiring is just a loop. From battery, to fuse, to switch (sometimes those are in reverse order), to item being powered, and back to the battery negative terminal. Most often that return is through the frame, that is why the battery negative terminal is hooked to the frame.

Last edited by EVfun on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
How much wiring is on the buggy? Some people build buggies with most of the features of modern cars, others are fairly basic. I fall into the second camp, it is kinda what a buggy means to me (to each their own -- that's what makes this sub-forum great.) I take the wiring down to dead simple. In the back you have the battery to ground and to starter and the alternator output to the big wire on the starter. I use a battery positive cable that comes with a smaller wire too, and I run that to a 1959 down Bug headlight fuse box. That is 2 fuses and 3 terminals (1 in, 2 out.)

I put that back by the battery so almost every wire is fuse protected. For the output I run a large yellow wire to the light switch and a large red wire to the ignition switch. Anything that has an ignition switched power supply is off the ignition switch. Anything that can be turned on with the car off is connected to the light switch power input. VW like to put brake lights, turn signals, and wipers on 1 ignition switched fuse, those are now hooked to the ignition switch (accessory terminal if it has one.) All the vehicle lights are already fused before power gets to the switch. The horn many also use that power source.

From there you can build up a more complex system. Perhaps you have seat heaters that need their own fuse. Perhaps you want to use a later light switch with 2 power inputs and give each one its own fuse so the headlights and rest of the lights each have separate fuses. Wiring is just a loop. From battery, to fuse, to switch (sometimes those are in reverse order), to item being powered, and back to the battery negative terminal. Most often that return is through the frame, that is why the battery negative terminal is hooked to the frame.

Mine is pretty simple.....it's just a couple wires..... Wink

It gets easier as you add to your never ending addiction......

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
EVfun wrote:

I put that back by the battery so almost every wire is fuse protected. For the output I run a large yellow wire to the light switch and a large red wire to the ignition switch. Anything that has an ignition switched power supply is off the ignition switch. Anything that can be turned on with the car off is connected to the light switch power input. VW like to put brake lights, turn signals, and wipers on 1 ignition switched fuse, those are now hooked to the ignition switch (accessory terminal if it has one.) All the vehicle lights are already fused before power gets to the switch. The horn many also use that power source.

I love your work! It's cool, while almost opposite of my vision of a beach buggy. I have never even installed windshield wipers or seat belts on my buggies (I use old frames so belts aren't required.) Certainly not a turbocharger, yet...

They do seem like a way to make the heat riser un-needed, and with just a few pounds of boost a way to make noticeably more power from an otherwise stock engine. How much more power could I need in an 1100 lb. buggy?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
clonebug wrote:
EVfun wrote:

I love your work! It's cool, while almost opposite of my vision of a beach buggy. I have never even installed windshield wipers or seat belts on my buggies (I use old frames so belts aren't required.) Certainly not a turbocharger, yet...

They do seem like a way to make the heat riser un-needed, and with just a few pounds of boost a way to make noticeably more power from an otherwise stock engine. How much more power could I need in an 1100 lb. buggy?

Unfortunately....boost is an addiction.....you will sell anything to get more.
I have over 200 hp and it still isn't enough.......

A turbo is the ultimate addition in my opinion. The midrange torque you gain just with a little bit of boost is amazing.
In our long distance travelling We can climb 6-7% grades at 60-65 mph and use only 3.0 lbs. boost to do it ..all on a 1679 cc engine.
It's all in the turbo sizing.......bigger is not always better.

If I ever get to the Seattle area again with the buggy I'd be happy to give you a ride.....You can ask if I remember correctly Michael Dean about it....I think I gave him a ride at Mario's Open House last fall.

For a reasonably cheap setup you could use a 34 Pict and a stock boost referenced fuel pump. Find a small Subie turbo and blow into the carb.
I had it pretty well figured out by the time I gathered all the parts for EFI.
If you can just be happy with 6.0 lbs you can do it with the above and use the DVDA distributor for boost retard. If you can find a good diaphragm.
The problems show up when you turn up the boost.......which is inevitable....and impossible to resist...... Rolling Eyes Sad

My apologies for getting off the wiring topic at hand......

I built my own wiring harness on the original buggy by following a 1967 bug 12 volt diagram. It is the most simple one there is and can easily be duplicated with a few changes to make it more modern.
Just do one wire at a time and then tie them all together once you have them all run. Either that or figure out how many wires you need for a run, put them together in a harness and then use a color code on a drawing to make it all work. Start out with them long and cut them to length once you get them to where they need to go.

Here is a pic of my original wiring the first time.

Wiring is never permanent...you can always upgrade as you go.
I've changed mine as I learned more and I change it almost every winter. Either because I add something or because I learned of a better or cooler way to do it.

All you need is a micro torch, solder, some wire, some solderless connectors and some heat shrink along with a decent crimper and you can wire at will.
I prefer to crimp solder and heat shrink all my connections and I've only had two fail in 17 years. One was an 18 gauge wire that broke due to rough handling and a second that broke at the starter due to fatigue. The solder or wire didn't break...the connector ring broke off and lost the main power connection.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen, your ideas are much appreciated. With some very nice examples. I will be fixing my dilemma soon, but plan on redoing the whole wiring some time next year. I probably won't be adding too many extras to mine as I like mine to stay pretty basic, simple, but who knows!...to be continued...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with new fuse box Reply with quote

Well folks, wired the new fuse box , and everything is working as it should for now, with better documentation.... Still have to make it look neat, its a bit chilly in the garage so I called an early day. Once again, thank you everyone for all your help on this. I'm sure something else will come up, and I'll be on here again screaming for help. Good day all....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: