Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

I just replaced the wheel cylinders on both front wheels and put in new shoes.

My question is, is there a way to make sure the brakes all around the car engage at the same time? It seems like my front right brake engages the fastest and hardest. Yesterday I had to hit the brakes pretty hard and the front right wheel locked up while the others did not (top was down so I could hear pretty clearly). It seems like I need to adjust the brakes so that the rest of them engage as much as that one does (or pull that one back...or a mix of those two things).

Is there a trick to doing this other than adjust, drive, evaluate, repeat until all seem to engage equally? The only thing I can think of is to adjust and spin the wheels until they all seem to drag equally on the shoes...but I thought I did that the first time. With also replacing the cylinders in the front I am guessing the fluid has also caused a shift in adjustment as they began to be used and the fluid "settled in" after being bled and the cylinders being used for the first time...but this doesn't really seem like something that should happen so I'm a bit confused.

Additionally the car pulls to the right when I hit the brakes...telling me those shoes touch first and are getting the most use/wear.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
I just replaced the wheel cylinders on both front wheels and put in new shoes.

My question is, is there a way to make sure the brakes all around the car engage at the same time? It seems like my front right brake engages the fastest and hardest. t time...but this doesn't really seem like something that should happen so I'm a bit confused.

1. Re-bleed the brakes, especially in the front, which seems to have the most issues.

2. Your new brake shoes need to wear in to better match the arc of the drum. Your drums might be sightly different arc due to past replacement or grinding. So adjust all four brakes as evenly as you can, and check/adjust every 2 weeks for the first few months.

3. Did you replace the flexible brake lines on your Super? A good idea !

In the "old days" shops would grind the new brake shoes to match the arc of each drum, but that got harmful brake dust in the air, so no more.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Yes!

You need to pump the brake pedal to center the shoes. Turn the adjuster till it locks up the wheel then 3 clicks back. Now do the other adjuster. Go pump the brakes. Same adjusting till locked up then back off till slight drag. SLIGHT! Now listen to the noise the shoes makes when rubbing as you spin the wheel. Go pump the brakes. Now adjust the rear adjuster on that same wheel, the same way! Slight drag.

Typically, I pump the brakes and hit all 4 wheels. Go back and resented the shoes by pumping and go back through all 4 wheels. Making sure the drag sounds and feels the same at each wheel. I turn both sides as if the car was going forwards. Seen a lot of guys have issues due to turning the opposite side the opposite direction. I do not think the wear on the drum is the same and always has a tone difference on the drag, to me! So, I make sure to spin all four as if they where flying down the road forwards.

After you think you got it all done. Go for a test drive. If you feel a pull, get the car back up off the ground and spin the wheels. Sometimes the shoes reset and you will need to readjust them. Several variables at play on that one. Then repeat till everything is 100%! If you cannot obtain a good braking vehicle, you need to take it to a mechanic BEFORE DRIVING IT!

Good luck and know it is a feel thing and a listening thing!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Thanks guys! That is great information.

This gives me motivation to clean out my garage so I can actually do this without freezing my fingers off haha. It also gives me an excuse to pull the distributor and send it off to be rebuilt while I do these things.

I have new flex lines...I will put those on as I bleed the brakes...might as well go all around and have all new fluid while I'm at it.

I ordered a "fuel smell" kit too so that'll need time and attention...as well as messing with the fuel sender...gonna pull my old one from the other bug and see if it works better...PO replaced the one in here and it doesn't work right as you probably could have guessed.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

This may or may not be relevant.

Remember we have two independent circuits. If you leave more clicks on one circuit it may engage slower or maybe not as much as the other. I now adjust to 4 clicks after the wheel barely moves from drag.

I've always found the rears to be more troublesome with excess drag after the clicks than the front. To avoid what I thought was 'too much drag' I'd end up doing more clicks on the rears. With too much difference between the circuits I suppose you could eventually end up having the fronts locking up while the rears wouldn't.

Someone on Samba in a post (wish I could remember who) suggested ignoring the 'too much drag' on the rears and just leave 4 clicks. He then said to take it out for a short ride, jack up the rear wheel and check to see if the 'too much drag' after the clicks didn't disappear.

I never heard that before. I tried it. He was right. Gotta love The Samba.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Gotta love The Samba.

Amen to that!

Well, I think I need to change my forum name from "Beanlover" to "LuckyToBeAlive". I drove my bug to an appointment today...seemed good on the way there. As I was leaving I noticed the brakes were constantly engaged and holding the car in place. I had replaced my passenger side front wheel cylinder thinking it was gummed up and unable to disengage. The car had behaved well enough to me that I thought it was resolved. I got it home and stopped at the top of my driveway to run inside for a few minutes...then I came back out to put the car away. Started it up and let it slowly start to roll down the hill of my driveway...went to push the brakes and they went all the way to the floor without engaging anything at all. Pumped them a few times and finally got them to engage enough to stop the car. Very low speed roll...but this tells me I have line issues or master cylinder issues...or both.

I have a set of steel lines and a new master cylinder that I bought for my other bug but haven't put them in on that one yet. The MC is one that I bought from CIP1 and I have heard others say those aren't great so I am not sure what exactly to do here...use the new one or look for a "better" new/rebuilt one.

EDIT: This is the one I bought: https://www2.cip1.com/c13-17-2808/
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Ok...I've changed 3 of the flexible brake lines...the driver-side rear was already replaced recently by the PO it seems (much cleaner than the rest of the hoses...could read the words on the hose). I adjusted the shoes as described above. My brake pedal STILL is at the top of it's travel after driving it around for a few miles...progressively getting worse and worse until the brakes are engaged all the time. This time it's on both passenger side wheels and not just the front...so at least I can see that my adjustments were fairly accurate haha. When I first took it out I even checked to make sure it was coasting "freely" after using the brakes the first few times and it seemed to be...as well as easily maintaining 55+ mph. By the time I got home I couldn't even put it into 4th gear unless I was going down hill because it couldn't overcome the brakes and would decelerate.

I know the master cylinder is a "two circuit" system...I always assumed that was front and rear were each circuit. Is it right and left instead? That would make sense given what I seem to be experiencing. I drove it back with the brakes really giving me fits...my wife was in the driveway and asked, "Am I supposed to be able to smell your car?" The smell of hot brake shoes was in the air for sure. I felt the warmth coming off the rear passenger and front passenger...but the other side was normal smelling and heat-wise.

Is there anything else I should try before replacing the master cylinder? When I replaced the hoses I made sure to bleed the brakes a lot so that the color looked light. There was a lot of dark color fluid coming from the passenger side rear hose (that hose was in the worst shape as well...see pic below). I then proceeded to bleed at each wheel after I replaced the hose...so the only one I didn't bleed was the driver-side rear...but that's not the side that is giving me issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

How much free play is there at the brake pedal?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
How much free play is there at the brake pedal?

The pedal went about half way down when I first took it out today...it slowly travelled less and less until it was all the way at the top again.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

The hydraulics should apply equal force to both left and right, if it's working right.
The brake shoe star adjusters do not make any difference in that either, just adjusts the amount of play, not the amount of force.

But how the shoes fit the drum, and how the shoes sit on the abutments can make a considerable difference to how braking you get compared the the pedal force.

I think you still need to iron out some more hydraulic problems before you can start to look at that tho.
The brakes being stuck on could be a problem where brake fluid can't get back out again, like there was a one way valve. Could be a problem with the master cylinder, not enough free play, could be a bad hose.

Last edited by modok on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The hydraulics should apply equal force to both left and right, if it's working right.
The brake shoe star adjusters do not make any difference in that either, just adjusts the amount of play, not the amount of force.

But how the shoes fit the drum, and how the shoes sit on the abutments can make a considerable difference to how braking you get compared the the pedal force.

I think you still need to iron out some more hydraulic problems before you can start to look at that tho.

Before, when I started working with my brakes, it was just my front driver-side wheel where the brakes were engaged constantly. Now it's both front and back on the driver-side. The rear driver-side had the worst brake hose for sure (pic above) so now all is equal all around...and both front and back are staying engaged.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Did you check the pedal free play? pebble stuck under the pedal?
Sometimes if the brakes are stuck on from hydraulic pressure, opening the bleeder will release that pressure and you will know what was causing it.
Could it be the master? maybe, but WHY is it one side not the other?

The "dual" master cylinder is split front and rear.
There is only one brake line going to the rear, so it cannot be split left and right or diagonally.

It would be unlikely and very ironic if the new hoses are causing the problem but it's not not totally impossible.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Sounds like the freeplay is incorrect, or you have a wonky master cylinder.

All this is in the Orange Bentley manual.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Did you check the pedal free play? pebble stuck under the pedal?
Sometimes if the brakes are stuck on from hydraulic pressure, opening the bleeder will release that pressure and you will know what was causing it.
Could it be the master? maybe, but WHY is it one side not the other?

The "dual" master cylinder is split front and rear.
There is only one brake line going to the rear, so it cannot be split left and right or diagonally.

It would be unlikely and very ironic if the new hoses are causing the problem but it's not not totally impossible.

Duh...that makes sense! I totally didn't think about the fact that there is only one line going from the MC to the rear. Doesn't make sense that only one side is engaged unless it's just because those are adjusted slightly more tightly on that side than the other. As I said before it was only the front driver-side.

So outside of replacing the rest of the brake lines and/or the master cylinder...there's not much left but the pedal itself...which I will check tomorrow.

I will say that, when I was bleeding the brakes the pedal went up and down easily and the fluid flowed normally from each bleeder valve. Didn't feel like anything was interfering during those times...and there were several pumps for each wheel to make sure the old fluid was all out.

I mentioned in a previous post a couple of weeks ago that I parked the car at the top of my driveway and when I got in to put it away the brake pedal went all the way to the floor the first time I pushed it...like something finally "released" and all the pressure was relieved. It was doing the same thing where the brake pedal was stuck at the top and the wheels weren't turning freely. I quickly pumped it a few times and the pressure built back up and stayed.

All of these symptoms seem to point to the MC to me...open to other suggestions. The only other thing it could be is something weird with how the pedal interacts with the MC but that's fairly simple mechanically speaking so I don't know what all could really go wrong there...again...open to suggestions here. Smile
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sounds like the freeplay is incorrect, or you have a wonky master cylinder.

All this is in theOrange Bentley manual.

I have that book! I'll check that out...thanks!
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Definitely seems like the "compensating ports" are under suspicion. Both trouble shooting points (5 and 7) list that as the first reason for the issue. It also seems like the push rod adjustment can affect that...so I'm going to check into that tomorrow. Thanks for talking through this with me!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

This is 100% an incorrect push rod length situation.

You MUST have 1mm free play between the end of the pedal push rod and the master cylinder piston when the pedal is at rest.

You cannot measure this directly.

The pedal ratio is about 6:1.

So, a movement of the pedal of 5-7mm before the push rod contacts the piston is how you measure it.

We are NOT talking about "movement of pedal until brakes work." We are talking about movement of pedal before the push rod contacts the piston. This is very hard to feel using your foot. Get your head in the footwell and get your hand on the brake pedal and move it with your hand. You will feel when the push rod contacts the piston.

Either your pedal stop is adjusted incorrectly, or your brake pedal push rod is adjusted incorrectly.

What is happening is that the push rod is not backing off the piston fully, not allowing the piston to return to its rest position. This blocks the compensating ports, which doesn't allow fluid to expand back to the reservoir as it heats up.

This means that as the fluid heats up due to brake use, it has nowhere to expand to. The only thing that can happen is that it expands and gradually applies the brakes. The hotter it gets the harder it applies the brakes which makes it hotter, etc. Nice feedback loop.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
This is 100% an incorrect push rod length situation.

You MUST have 1mm free play between the end of the pedal push rod and the master cylinder piston when the pedal is at rest.

You cannot measure this directly.

The pedal ratio is about 6:1.

So, a movement of the pedal of 5-7mm before the push rod contacts the piston is how you measure it.

We are NOT talking about "movement of pedal until brakes work." We are talking about movement of pedal before the push rod contacts the piston. This is very hard to feel using your foot. Get your head in the footwell and get your hand on the brake pedal and move it with your hand. You will feel when the push rod contacts the piston.

Either your pedal stop is adjusted incorrectly, or your brake pedal push rod is adjusted incorrectly.

What is happening is that the push rod is not backing off the piston fully, not allowing the piston to return to its rest position. This blocks the compensating ports, which doesn't allow fluid to expand back to the reservoir as it heats up.

This means that as the fluid heats up due to brake use, it has nowhere to expand to. The only thing that can happen is that it expands and gradually applies the brakes. The hotter it gets the harder it applies the brakes which makes it hotter, etc. Nice feedback loop.

This makes sense...thanks for confirming this even more. I assume I need to relieve the pressure before I do this so the pistons can be fully "at rest" before I try to measure. I also assume I can just allow some bleeding in the rear and the front to do that. I'll get after this tomorrow...so MUCH looking forward to solving this!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Nope. That releasing of the pressure using “bleeding as the means” is not a good choice. The amount of fluid in the system is static. It is either under pressure or is not under pressure based off of the master cylinder piston position. That’s it!

So, just get your wrenches down on the lock nuts on the rod. Loosen those up and spin them several full rotations closer to the bulkhead wall. Then rotate the pushrod into the pedal cluster until you get the correct free play at the pedal. That will release the pressure. Get it?

After the initial adjustment, pump the brake pedal and readjust the pushrod. Then tighten it up. Then check the free play.

Be sure to go back through your brake adjustment. As the pistons being locked, may have set the shoes out too far when you previously adjusted them.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nope. That releasing of the pressure using “bleeding as the means” is not a good choice. The amount of fluid in the system is static. It is either under pressure or is not under pressure based off of the master cylinder piston position. That’s it!

So, just get your wrenches down on the lock nuts on the rod. Loosen those up and spin them several full rotations closer to the bulkhead wall. Then rotate the pushrod into the master until you get the correct free play at the pedal. That will release the pressure. Get it?

After the initial adjustment, pump the brake pedal and readjust the pushrod. Then tighten it up. Then check the free play.

Be sure to go back through your brake adjustment. As the pistons being locked, may have set the shoes out too far when you previously adjusted them.

After sleeping I had come to this same thought...that I should just adjust the rod to relieve the pressure rather than bleed...so I appreciate you saying this! I'm almost 100% sure my pedal is going to go all the way to the floor once the rod is adjusted properly...and my shoes are going to be far out of adjustment just based on my experience with this whole issue.

You guys are great and much appreciated! Thanks for walking through this with me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: