Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Finally had time to check this out.

I tested the brakes again before any adjustment. Pressure was still pretty high but not as high as it was when it was heated up from driving (to be expected).

I turned the nut closest to the firewall...the entire rod turned with it (also expected). I tested the brakes again and they went all the way to the floor. So this had the desired result.

I pumped the brakes several times to build up pressure and felt the brakes engage...then let off the pedal and tested again. It went all the way to the floor without any engagement of the brakes so that's a good sign.

I tried to slowly push the brake pedal by hand to feel when it comes into contact with the piston in the master cylinder...and I can't feel any difference in the travel. I push it down slowly but I never feel like it gets more resistance. Perhaps it's still in constant contact with the piston? I'll continue to move the rod back...but I turned it probably 3 or 4 complete turns before I tested the brakes again as noted (when they went to the floor). Hard to imagine it was THAT far out of adjustment...but anything is possible of course.

How obvious is it when the push rod comes into contact with the piston? I tried looking up videos and pictures but there's not much out there for this.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
... How obvious is it when the push rod comes into contact with the piston?

If everything around is quiet and I get down in there with my hand to push on the pedal, I can feel the pushrod sort of tap on master cylinder piston as well as hear a faint little "tink" sound. But it's kind of iffy, uncertain, until the next check; namely, push in a bit farther and then slowly release. It seems easier to tell when the pushrod drops out of contact, only a very tiny bit before the pedal comes to rest on the floor stop plate. My brake pedal return spring is weak due to rust. So there's a definite change from when I'm pushing against both the pedal spring and the master cylinder return spring, to when my hand is pushing against only the weak pedal spring. The crucial spec is Dimension "S" here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

I adjusted it back even further and it became pretty obvious when it was coming into contact with the piston...so apparently it was pretty tightly positioned by some PO. Now I just need to adjust it "properly" and set the nuts to hold it in the correct position...and then adjust my brakes yet again!
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Readjusted my shoes today...rears were pretty far out of adjustment...made several turns on each adjuster to get them to where they needed to be. Now the parking brake handle doesn't even come up over the bottom part of the seats.

I'm compiling more and more evidence that there is a God and He has had his hand on my life...because I drove the car home like this for 4 hours. It was good that the brakes needed adjusted or it probably would have never moved once the fluid started heating up. I'm surprised my front passenger side drum isn't completely warped...but apparently it was adjusted in just a way that it didn't heat up too much...so many factors that had to play nicely together in the weirdness that is this car and its issues. These cars are extremely resilient!!

I just need to get the pushrod nuts to be positioned correctly...they seem to be crusted to the threads. Going to remove that and fix them into place and I should be set.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

Glad you got it! That push rod adjustment is not a common issue. Most do not ever touch it. But I can tell you, as a mechanic that worked on these cars back 4 decades ago. They almost all needed an adjustment!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle drum brake adjustment question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Glad you got it! That push rod adjustment is not a common issue. Most do not ever touch it. But I can tell you, as a mechanic that worked on these cars back 4 decades ago. They almost all needed an adjustment!

It's crazy how something so relatively small has such a big impact! There is precious little information out there related to that pushrod for sure...many much googles came up empty heh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: