Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Bus Engine Decision
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67splittwist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

I am new to the VW world and am trying to learn as much as I can. I recently picked up a 67 Deluxe to restore. It is in need of an engine. I have done alot of research and am trying to figure out what my best option is. The bus will mainly be driven in town and on day/weekend excursions. I would like to keep it looking as factory as possible. I know that a 1500 is stock and I am okay with sticking with that. From what Ive read, a 1600 is 'identical' looking and a little better performance wise. I have recently run across a AH coded 1600 (73-74) out of a type 1. I am thinking that I am going to have to find a type 1 1600 as type 2 engines are harder to come across. It is stuck at the moment and it is dual port. I would assume that it has the dual oil relief. Most forums I read indicate that the torque of the single port is better than the top end gains of a dual port when it comes to a bus. One of my questions is, do I buy the AH for the dual oil relief, doghouse oil cooler and change it to a single port? I assume it would just need different heads, intake, carb and tins? Would it be better to keep searching for a factory 1600 single port? Unless I find one from a type 2, I believe 1970 was the only year the type 1 was a 1600 single port....but then I dont believe I would have the dual oil relief?? I am looking for input on which way to go. Search for a 1500 or factory 1600 single port? Take the 1600 dual port and change to single port? Run the 1600 dual port? I have read numerous posts on this topic, but cant quite come to a consensus. Are the dual oil reliefs and doghouse oil cooler the most important factors in the decision? I want a nice driving, RELIABLE bus when I am finished. Thank you.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Type 1 and type 2 engines are virtually identical. The differences are the air cleaner and the exhaust, and then only if you are using stock components. Just call it a type 1 engine or an upright engine. Pretty much the same for 1500 versus 1600. You will not really notice the difference. Dual ports have a bit more power and run a bit hotter, but again, not a big difference.

The easy thing to do is to stick in the dual port 1600 which should have the doghouse fanshroud, etc. Singleport is great, but generally not worth putting a lot of extra effort into.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

If you are doing a stock restoration and want a stock appearing engine then you for sure should use single port heads with whatever case you choose. Your bus would have come with a single relief H case. If you are going to build a stock 1600 then it doesn’t matter that it’s single relief.
Now if you want to maintain stock appearance while upgrading the power and cooling you could use a dual relief case with single port heads but increase displacement by running bigger pistons and cylinders and a crank with increased stroke while using a modified stock carburetor. Increasing displacement to 1776 or 1800 cc makes for a much more drivable bus should you need to take the freeway. You would want to increase cooling so you would want to run a 1971 up doghouse fan shroud, but it would appear stock to most eyes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Welcome to the VW world. I believe these first 2 posts are spot on. Since you are new to VWs I would advise trying to stay near stock as possible. A nice single port or dual port 1600 should provide you with a more trouble free experience. You can always upgrade to a bigger engine later.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Nothing like a nice reliable single port engine. I like stock. I was fortunate to keep my original HO engine case and used it for my stock rebuild on my ‘67 Westy. Be aware when you go with more power you also create a louder engine. Been there, done that!

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Type 1 and type 2 engines are virtually identical. The differences are the air cleaner and the exhaust, and then only if you are using stock components.

Also the different carb jets for the different air cleaner and muffler used on the bus.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Lind wrote:
Type 1 and type 2 engines are virtually identical. The differences are the air cleaner and the exhaust, and then only if you are using stock components.
Also the different carb jets for the different air cleaner and muffler used on the bus.
Good point, that too.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

If you want to keep it "stock" do the research and get what it was born with and scoff at everyone else that didn't go that route.

If you want to fun to drive bus, refine what is "fun to drive" and where you drive it. For some people 200+HP is fun and for others bone stock 36HP. Think about this one, will it be around town or will you be going 2 hours away to camp? Freeway or surface streets? Loaded or empty? Hot weather or cold?

What is the level of involvement you want to have? I tinker with my bus so I am OK adjusting valves, syncing carbs, etc. on a regular basis. If you are not inclined, don't have a place to work on it or don't have the tools, simpler might be better.

Also, do you still have or plan on keeping the RGB's? If you want a straight axle or higher gear ratios for freeway driving you'll want to factor that in too.

I've got a 67 as well and have been scheming on what my next motor will be. It won't be bone stock, but it'll be fun to drive!
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

My ‘67 has been in the family since 1967. I kept all the bits and pieces over the years knowing that some day it would be a very special resto. I even kept the original case even though I had a couple of different engines installed over the years. Yes, it is a 1600 today but only because 1500cc parts are not available. The motor also sports it’s original thermostat and cooling mousetraps and links. The engine warms up much better from a cold start. Some people throw out this stuff but really that is a mistake in my opinion…

Bill

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67splittwist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their input. There is just something about being stock to me...so I'd prefer to keep it that way or at least period correct as it will never truly be stock. I know I want to go single port. I would love to find an H0 motor. I have run across a couple of H5 engines, but I dont believe they were ever in buses. If I find an 'H0' block, I may take it and bolt 1600 cylinders, heads and intake onto it. That way I have the 1600 but still have the 'original' H0 block.

Im not sure...just know I want to go single port and try to be period correct looking. A couple more questions...

Are single port 1500 and 1600 heads the same? Are there different castings that are better than others?

Is it possible to get pistons/rings for a 1500 if I decide to go that route?

Thanks again.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

67splittwist wrote:

Are single port 1500 and 1600 heads the same? Are there different castings that are better than others?

Is it possible to get pistons/rings for a 1500 if I decide to go that route?

Same heads used on those or 1641cc, and a bit bigger pistons with special cylinders can be used without cutting case or heads openings bigger in diameter.

Anything NOS can be found for the specific 1500 VW engines, but at a higher price most of the time than easier to find 1600 parts made today.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Yes and if you still want to put a single port engine in it it could be built to look stock even stroked 74mm or 76 or 78 maybe that would be pushing it for a bus, However. I would use new 1600 single port heads opened for 92 bore so it could run 88mm thick wall piston and cylinders. The AH case is way better though.
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

I had a engine built for my split single cab last year. New dual relief case, stock single port, 76mm stroke, 90.5mm pistons (1956cc) straight cut ‘cheater’ cam, dog house w external oil cooler and filter. Everything else looks stock. This engine runs and drives fabulously with a big nut trans and 4.12 r&p and 0.82 4th. So happy and substantial improvement over stock 1500 with standard gearing. Great torque and rolls on the highway at 65 easy peasy.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

67splittwist wrote:
I have read numerous posts on this topic, but cant quite come to a consensus. Are the dual oil reliefs and doghouse oil cooler the most important factors in the decision? I want a nice driving, RELIABLE bus when I am finished. Thank you.
Good luck with that. As you might have noticed, absolutely everyone has a different opinion on what engine to use/build. There is no consensus, and never will be.

Stock is just great. Any type I 1500/1600 engine will work. the more stock the particular engine, the better it willl usually work. You can go down the rabbit hole as deep as you like. It only gets better and more expensive the further you go.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

All previous posts are correct. I've had plenty of engines in my busses and will never go back to a single port. IMO, the basic choice should be a stock DP, especially if you ever go on the highway. If you NEVER went on the highway (and who does that?) a SP would be fine. After many engine changes I now have strokers in both busses and still only drive 62ish on the highway. The 1600DP would probably be the most reliable (excluding the 34PICT).

Good luck with whatever you choose.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
67splittwist wrote:
I have read numerous posts on this topic, but cant quite come to a consensus. Are the dual oil reliefs and doghouse oil cooler the most important factors in the decision? I want a nice driving, RELIABLE bus when I am finished. Thank you.
Good luck with that. As you might have noticed, absolutely everyone has a different opinion on what engine to use/build. There is no consensus, and never will be.

Stock is just great. Any type I 1500/1600 engine will work. the more stock the particular engine, the better it willl usually work. You can go down the rabbit hole as deep as you like. It only gets better and more expensive the further you go.

The only thing I could ad is simplicity and reliability can be achieved by staying close to stock. Being close to stock is also cost effective if you need to watch costs.

I drove a 64 bus back in the early 80s before it was cool, and it was powered by a 1200cc engine. Reliable you couldn’t kill that but slow getting anywhere and that’s part of the charm. You are driving a brick accept that😀

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

If you stay stock or not a counter weighted crank and a full balance will get you a much smoother engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
If you stay stock or not a counter weighted crank and a full balance will get you a much smoother engine.

Yep, stock motor built to the most precise tolerances you can, maybe port and polish the heads, and a good valve job. Squeeze a bit more power from an engine while keeping stock reliability. Who wants to drive on the interstate anyway?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

Yep, stock motor built to the most precise tolerances you can, maybe port and polish the heads, and a good valve job. Squeeze a bit more power from an engine while keeping stock reliability. Who wants to drive on the interstate anyway?

I'm with FarmerBill, a well-built stock engine will will last longer and be more reliable in the long run. A little slower and a little less powerful, but much less troublesome. Learn to simply accept the original design limitations of your Split-Bus and it's drivetrain. Well cared for, a stock engine will get you there as designed, not go faster, run hotter and break down leaving you on the shoulder calling AAA. Be proud! OWN the right lane and let them pass if they need to.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Engine Decision Reply with quote

Brian_e just posted about an easy flow gain for single ports. I like a well built singleport with a big nut trans myself https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682243
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: