Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheels & Lug Holes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

I have read threads on power coated wheels and how the lug area needs to be free from coating. Unfortunately on my newly purchased bus, they didn't do this. It appears these wheels weren't in any great shape went they went off to the powder coater. Today I took my front left wheel off and one of the lugs was pretty loose, and when I got the wheel off I noticed a few of the holes weren't very round. At what point are you guys replacing the wheels with this issue? Who is making the best factory style replacement wheels?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the spare

Thank you all for your help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

The roundness at the actual hole doesn't matter.

The lug bolt has a taper that self centers as you tighten it into a mating taper on the rim. Tighten in a star pattern doing a few star patterns to get to the final tight.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
The roundness at the actual hole doesn't matter.

The lug bolt has a taper that self centers as you tighten it into a mating taper on the rim. Tighten in a star pattern doing a few star patterns to get to the final tight.

Hi Barry, thanks for your reply. If the hole is a bit oblong that doesn't matter? I am just worried about the integrity of the lug sitting in the wheel.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

Torque them to spec and drive 10ish miles, then see if they need more torque, if they do and you have to repeat a couple times there's a problem, if they are still just as tight don't worry.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

pacifcoflyr wrote:
If the hole is a bit oblong that doesn't matter?

To a certain degree it doesn't matter. Only thing I would add is while you have a wheel up in the air and you've done a cross-star snugging, go ahead and spin the wheel. If it has a funky lope to it then something is wonky.

The drum has the properly spaced threaded holes so theoretically the 5 holes should even out.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

What lug bolts or nuts are you using with those stock wheels?

The lug bolt or nut taper must match that of the wheel.

For powdercoated wheels torque to spec in a star pattern then drive for a few miles and then retorque everything. Should be around 90 ft lbs for steel wheels.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

In your first picture the whole opening looks crushed down. See how the second picture has a volcano like shape? Is the first photo actually like the second one in shape? It's hard to tell.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

74 Thing eluded to it. It may at one time have been fitted with non-VW lug bolts, or at least in a gorilla-like manner. But the drums will "determine" the straightness of the wheel's lug face and bolt centering.

That said, I'd do a true-ness test- a couple wheels mind end up being junk.

Stock VW rims are easy to come by- and I'd rather gather those in HI than pay for an aftermarket steel wheel (unless you go non-VW custom). There may only be a couple sources for 14" bus rims made to look factory- and I'd expect them to be atrociously expensive delivered.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

Thanks all. Sorry I have been away from the computer for a few days.

Here are a few more shots of the same wheel that had a loose lug. The 'volcano' part is still there, it just looks a bit funky in the picture since the powder coat has chipped away.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the lug bolts or nuts you are using?
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels & Lug Holes Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Can you post a photo of the lug bolts or nuts you are using?

Sorry, I meant to add those pics as well. The threads are toast on some of these and won't be used again. I am also doing the front disc conversion which has the new lug nuts pictured.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: