Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I have a 1955cc motor that I built a few years back. I want to add some 1.3 roller rockers to my existing cam. The cam is a bugpack 4062 (.284*/.415") on 044 heads. My question is whether that will work and if it would be a good idea.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

That cam with standard 1.1:1 rockers is already giving you almost. 460 lift
With 1.3:1 you'll be at .540

I wouldn't do it, but thats just me.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Let me give you my experience on changing rockers......in the quest to get "More" power......

W-100 cam with .383" at the cam. I figured maybe some `1.25 rockers for around .500" lift would improve the hp. They are recommended to run 1.1 or 1.25 only.

Asked a few questions and those that replied said it would be doable..

Bought a set of 1.25 rockers....

Set them up and found they were measuring out at 1.37-1.38.... Confused
Call the Ebay supplier and he sent another set no charge....said he'd measure to make sure they were 1.25...they were exactly the same. Crying or Very sad

Decided to go for it anyways even though it wasn't correct for the cam.....

Had them narrowed to fit better and allow shims to adjust side play to minimal for optimum lift and lowest noise. I also had the lash caps machined for a tight fit to the valves since they wouldn't work as bought.
Bought a set of Cromoly .035" pushrods so I could cut them to length.

By now I had almost $300 .00 into them.....I now had narrowed rockers, pushrods and shims galore.
I spent a lot of time on geometry and then had my neighbor cut them to length on his mill. It worked great and I installed the ends. Added CB 650 outer springs for the extra lift. Milled off about .070" from the rocker blocks on the head for better geometry.

When all was said and done I had 1.38:1 ratio rockers on my W-100 cam putting out .526" lift.
All in all it was about a $500.00 upgrade not including the time it took to set the geometry.

That is the short version..........

HP gains???? Couldn't really tell on the butt dyno.

I did manage to blow my spider gears out on the trans.

Was it worth it??? Still testing.

I put 3660 miles on that particular valve train and when pulled apart the cam and lifters were in perfect condition..They have a combined 46,000 miles on them. I could have kept that setup but I swapped to a FK-42 which is compatible with 1.4 rockers.
That now has 4100 plus miles on it with no issues and quiet running. It has almost exactly the same lift and a little more duration but it really hasn't given a noticeable hp gain either.
Although with the California trip last summer and the trans issue 1100 miles from home I haven't really given it the testing it deserves.

It is a great driver though.......

A lot of the "Upgrades" I have done have had a very low hp/$$$ return on my investment.
The cheapest hp was the turbo addition....but over time that isn't really cheap because you keep wanting more and will sell your left testicle to get more boost.

Now if I could just be happy with the 226 hp I have........ Rolling Eyes

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I believe the cam is rated .415" w/ 1.1:1 rockers that means the change put me at .490" of lift. I'm not looking for more lift but I did purchase the Pauter roller rockers, I just am trying to find out if I can get away with it without splitting the case and changing cams? I'm already thinking about some beehive springs to replace the CB springs that are in there now.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Maybe your larger displacement combo is wanting more lift and will benefit from it. Your valvetrain is probably up to the task. I would try.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
I believe the cam is rated .415" w/ 1.1:1 rockers that means the change put me at .490" of lift. I'm not looking for more lift but I did purchase the Pauter roller rockers, I just am trying to find out if I can get away with it without splitting the case and changing cams? I'm already thinking about some beehive springs to replace the CB springs that are in there now.

That was the golden info. - The CB HD sgl springs will not handle the extra lift/rpm. You need more. Your advantage is that that cam is very soft on the ramps so you do not have to go crazy on spring pressure. Beehives are more than sufficient. Scat springs with Ti retainers would do the job too.

Whether your engine will pay for it depends 100% on its breathing capabilities and whether you have enough time area on the valves as is. If your CR is on the low to medium for the cam I wouldnt bother. If it is set up to about max CR for the cam and engine it is worth a shot.
Remember, if you do not have enough static compression you will loose too much dynamic compression in the opening a nd closing phase. That WILL result in a power loss below approx 2800 rpm. and a typical power gain from about 3500 & up. If your static CR is "right" you should not loose any power down low, but gain power from about 3200 rpm. But it is a good alround cam, so don´t rule it out just yet.

How much more power(?) If the engine can exploit the extra lift/flow you can expect up to about 7% gain plus another 300ish rpm on top. Also, the torque band would be extended with 250-300 rpm.
If the heads/engine can barely exploit the extra lift you can expect something like 3,5-4%
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

The motor was built about 8yrs ago and I don't recall the CR I set it up with(probably around 8.5-9). For what it's worth I am also running a single 48IDF.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
For what it's worth I am also running a single 48IDF.

Yikes Shocked , put your money and effort into running duals two barrels. My beehive springs will work well with the valve train combo but like I said, dual 48's will work but kinda big for your combo.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
The motor was built about 8yrs ago and I don't recall the CR I set it up with(probably around 8.5-9). For what it's worth I am also running a single 48IDF.

Why Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

This motor probably only has maybe 500 miles on it and I just did a serpentine conversion on it. The motor is also a long rod CB H-beam @5.500" (82 stroke pistons) and I love roller rockers!
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Here's what I'm working on ......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

In that case, forget what I wrote.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

There is going to be a lot of discussion about how "correct" that combo is. Strap in.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Look for a set of see through valve covers, those rockers are very pretty! Nice addition to a pretty engine but a shame if they are hidden.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I haven't been on here in years but I am hoping for lots of input on this. If I have to split the case I will probably just build a new motor with a new super case. This one was shuffled/welded by Rimco.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Again, it seems like a well built engine, but with a small cam. Put, the rockers on!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I finally found the build file on this one. I've got all the specs except I show the cam ordered was a CB 2239 (.276*/.417"@1.1:1) but I don't show it being delivered but since that's very close to the 4062 I'm not surprised that I would order one. I also show 5.400" rods so I'll have to re-compute those numbers.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

The cams OK and you may be OK with the rockers but the intake you have is the worst thing ever made for a VW and even worse with a 48 carb
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Probably could run the Webcam 118 with the single HD springs and some good aluminum racing pushrods with the 1.3:1 rockers, Probably the CB-Performance UltraLight lifters would play nicely here: A dune buggy or baja benefits from a single carb so figure out how to jet that 48 for it Probably (32mm, 34mm venturi's) for it and it'ted probably be good.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Any idea what the heads are and what they flow? If they are done flowing at .450”, than the extra lift won’t help all that much, other than holding the valve open a bit longer. If the heads keep flowing up past .500”, then the extra lift will help add more area under the flow curve, and help pack more air into the cylinders.

Are dual carbs an option with that buggy body? I would be doing those long before ratio rockers.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: