Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Definitely not an option with that engine cage.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I would guess the 44 heads are the 40X35.5 Valve Round Port CNC heads. Already bigger than what stock intake manifold ends which are probably only 30mm can supply with even 1.1 Ratio Rockers. That's why I would not use a cam with a lot of lift with the 1.3 rockers. Probably these end castings would bring it together: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7367.htm

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

The intake manifold and DP ends are after-market and port matched to the CB 044 heads. Again as stated "not looking for more lift, just trying to work the rockers into my scenario without build a new motor". Right now I am running 34mm venturis in my 48IDF.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Around here "Dr Dirt" is iconic around these parts so I'm not changing it up with dual carbs. I've only owned it for 10yrs but I've been involved with the building of it for 40yrs(back when I had my VW shop).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

The stock end castings will only handle "so much" power (Air) unless you mod them rather heavily. Porting alone helps, but not a lot.
If you are after more rpm power you should go for a set of Wensing end castings. They are 34 mm I.D. and will handle SIGNIFICANTLY more power. Then you can exploit the extra lift if the heads will flow enough. If the heads are basicly stock 044´s I is most likely not worth the effort. Like Brian wrote, the system needs to be able to "use" the extra flow capacity. If it can´t you will almost only get extra work out of it.
If you use them on the existing engine you will experience that it hits max torque a little sooner, but from threreon up not much is happening.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Not looking for "anything" but less wear/tear on my motors. Heres my two I-6 strokers......

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

They way I see it....you have a roller rocker fetish....and you picked the wrong engine to put them on.

Any roller rockers for a VW are going to give you more lift, more work to do, and more issues that must be overcome, for potentially little gain.

Just because they have a roller on the tip doesn’t make them amazing. If you want the bragging rights, just have a sticker made for the valve over that says “roller rockers inside”. That will probably add just as much power as the roller rockers with way less chance of screwing other stuff up.

Brian
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

That's almost funny, I'm 62 so brag to who? I've been building motors for 50yrs it's just what I do! Hell my Jeep stroker even has a pre-oiler on it that's used every day before a start, you talk about "Anal"!
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Well considering you've been building motors since you were 12 years old you very well know what it's gonna take to do this properly!!

Motor has to come out and on the stand, get your dial indicator out and adjustable pushrod ready.
And while its on the stand it'll be a good idea to pull the head off so you can clay the piston to make sure the valves aren't hitting with that .500 plus lift.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Well considering you've been building motors since you were 12 years old you very well know what it's gonna take to do this properly!!

Motor has to come out and on the stand, get your dial indicator out and adjustable pushrod ready.
And while its on the stand it'll be a good idea to pull the head off so you can clay the piston to make sure the valves aren't hitting with that .500 plus lift.

That's all a given, and I have the best engine stand around!!!!
BTW: the new calculated lift is .494" which does scare me.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

So last night I decided to break the motor down and make it right PLUS. I ordered a new 82mm crank, a CB 2238 cam(274*/,319"), and a new set of Mahle forged P&C's(82mmx90.5mm) so now it will be a 2110cc!
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

So things change by the minute, the Eagle cam is currently unavailable so I ordered a Engle FK65 instead.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Interesting that is a little less cam than the bugpack 4062 you have is? Without knowing exactly about the heads and the manifolds it's going to be impossible for anyone here but you when you put it together and try it to say weather it's going to work out well.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Your Bugpack 4062 is an awesome cam. I think it will be a downgrade going to the baby FK65. If you want a similar cam, the cb2237 is very similar to the 4062, which is also very similar to the web 218. A web 218 in a 2110cc will make great low end power if the heads are done right. You might even try the 218/119 since your intake is lacking.

Brian
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Cams are a problem right now, but what he should really do was have Engle grind him a FK42/FK41 on 112 LC.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I did call Engle this morning, the FK65 was his recommendation on what I was looking for. The FK7 was his next choice for a little more cam.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
but the intake you have is the worst thing ever made for a VW and even worse with a 48 carb

Can I ask why you would sat that???
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
but the intake you have is the worst thing ever made for a VW and even worse with a 48 carb

Can I ask why you would sat that???

Because I've done a lot of testing of intakes on the VW engine both on my dyno and in my own vehicles. The single centre mount IDF was one of the tests.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

You will not have piston to valve clearance issues with .500” lift, especially with the cams chosen.

I recently went through testing this with multiple (5) cams and Super Squish pistons.

Recommend listening to Alstrup and Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Existing cam wanting to add 1.3 ratio rockers Reply with quote

I did change the cam order (again), after sleeping on it specially because of going to 2110 I decided on the Engle FK7 which comes in at 288* x .464" w/ 1.3 rockers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: