Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

first sandrail project. Some progress made
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandong91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

I purchased this rail from a gentleman that decided he had too many projects. Comes with just about everything it just needs to be assembled. He left it sitting in a field for about a decade so it had a good amount of rust on it. After a weekend of sanding and priming, it looks a whole lot better than it did. It came with all swing axle parts. So today, I am going to clean up the front suspension and bolt everything up.

So I am a little confused about the rear of this. It looks like its missing the shock tower. I've been searching the fourm and most pictures I am seeing of other sandrails have this tower. I am probably overthinking this but where does the rear shocks mount with this type of setup? I was thinking this mightve been a swing axle thing but after looking at a 60s garbage pan I have laying around, it has that tower too. So looks like the guy mightve cut it out for whatever reason. Do I have to fabricate something special or what? Thanks fellas!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

That is a type 3 (Fastback,Squareback) torsion housing. The shock towers are formed sheet metal. Different then the cast steel ones on a type 1 Bug.
The one picture shows were to shot mount is located.
Use of the type 3 torsion housing in the 1970s was common on you build sand buggy chassis since it bolted in and you did have to cut up a chassis like you would need to do with a type 1.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
brandong91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
That is a type 3 (Fastback,Squareback) torsion housing. The shock towers are formed sheet metal. Different then the cast steel ones on a type 1 Bug.
The one picture shows were to shot mount is located.
Use of the type 3 torsion housing in the 1970s was common on you build sand buggy chassis since it bolted in and you did have to cut up a chassis like you would need to do with a type 1.

Thank you, had no idea it was type 3. I know absolutely nothing about type 3 stuff though. So, will type 1 swing axle tubes line up?

Also, do I need type 3 shocks or are they all the same, type 1/type3?

I'm trying to get the swing axle tube lined up with the shock ust to see how it will fit but its not looking right to me.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

Yes a type1 swing axle will work in it and same with the shocks.
There was a different front trans mount on some of type 3. I don’t remember what years that was.
Shock mounts should line up just like a type1. They mount at same angle.
Also with what you have with the type 3 is the longer torsion bars, 24-11/16 in.
If you need clearance for larger tires you can switch to the type 1 21-3/4 in long torsion bars and spring plates.
Motion Tire Motorsports
brandong91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

Oh good, I was nervous there for a second. Ok, so type 3 mounting, is this correct? I know I do not have the correct hardware in the pictures but I just put it on to see how it fits. Still not finished prepping the body.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

brandong91 wrote:
Oh good, I was nervous there for a second. Ok, so type 3 mounting, is this correct? I know I do not have the correct hardware in the pictures but I just put it on to see how it fits. Still not finished prepping the body.

Shock should be inside the two partitions and through bolted....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: first sandrail project. Some progress made Reply with quote

The top of the shock mounts inside the pocket, not on the outside like you have otherwise it looks good.
One other thing, the bolts holding axle tube to spring plate should be turned around. The reason for this, is the bolt In the front will hit the shock body if installed with threaded part to the inside.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: