Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new Panchito 044 challenger ?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Just came on AA Website and found those new AA502 heads, if anyone have some infos about those ?

https://aapistons.com/products/502-series-performa...6kWzk1NPBw

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink

Last edited by vince1 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Boy it would be nice to know what the port volume and flow numbers are. Someone is going to have to test for this.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

I am ordering a set of 40x35, and I have some more as cast, and CNC panchito's on the way.

I will give them all a good measuring and then run them on the flow bench.

I am eager to see the port volume, and the average airspeed of these new ones.

Panchitos are tough to beat in the right application, but they could use some competition. Maybe I could talk Roy into sending me one of his 050 to test at the same time.

Brian
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Maybe I could talk Roy into sending me one of his 050 to test at the same time.

Brian

The only problem is if he sends you a hand selected head.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Looks like a modified 501 casting. Bet the Panchito will be better, looks like they slapped on a bigger port. The undrilled 502 will also run hotter, the Panchito has better cooling air flow threw but this 502 head has more potential with more port meat for an even bigger port than is possible with the Panchito.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Ya, It will be interesting to see what the rest of the port looks like. The shape at the flange doesn't really mean a whole lot compared to the rest of the port. I am betting typical AA valve job. Hopefully AA did some research and got some knowledgeable help when doing these. Huge improvements could be made with a clean slate AA500 head.

Or.....like the AA thickwall long 94's, they added material in one spot, and completely missed the boat in the important spots. d'oh!

Let's hope they got closer.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

The autolinea panchito has massively Beefed up combustion chamber and skinny port walls.

This chinese head is the opposite. Rolling Eyes
Thickwall ports and thinwall chamber Laughing
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The autolinea panchito has massively Beefed up combustion chamber and skinny port walls.

This chinese head is the opposite. Rolling Eyes
Thickwall ports and thinwall chamber Laughing

Similar to what I mentioned about the AA thick 94's.....

Brian
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

My concern isn't how well they flow or the HP they produce. My concern is how long they last. I'm sure lots of engine builders could port them and match the flow of the Panchito's. My question is how long before the seats drop out or the springs and valve guides need replaced. How do they hold up on a street engine after a 3 hr road trip. It may take 5 years of road testing before we know these questions. Just because a new product looks cool that doesn't mean it will out preform the competition.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
My concern isn't how well they flow or the HP they produce. My concern is how long they last. I'm sure lots of engine builders could port them and match the flow of the Panchito's. My question is how long before the seats drop out or the springs and valve guides need replaced. How do they hold up on a street engine after a 3 hr road trip. It may take 5 years of road testing before we know these questions. Just because a new product looks cool that doesn't mean it will out preform the competition.

Yes. But also, some things can be seen without needing that. For example, if the guideboss is cut centered, does the valve spring have a flat surface to rest on, or is it sitting on half and teeter toddering? Does the valve seat have full support or is there a big ledge under it giving only 50% support. The valve job can be seen easily just pulling the valves out too. If they pass all those checks, they can right away be a safer bet then some other brands. (Not reffering to cb).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

My question is... the 500 and 501 have been around for a long enough time that we know the main issues with them, such as mediocre valve job and guides, plus they can really benifit from having extra cooling thru holes drilled in certain areas...

So, is this 502 simply a 501 with a different shape port cast in? Did they do ANYTHING else different with the casting or machining procedures/equipment?

If NOT that will answer a lot of questions.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
My question is... the 500 and 501 have been around for a long enough time that we know the main issues with them, such as mediocre valve job and guides, plus they can really benifit from having extra cooling thru holes drilled in certain areas...

So, is this 502 simply a 501 with a different shape port cast in? Did they do ANYTHING else different with the casting or machining procedures/equipment?

If NOT that will answer a lot of questions.

Ask the vendor.

Dario Ruiz <[email protected]>

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I have almost 20k miles in three years on the AA500 heads on a 2332cc in my baywindow. Every summer it goes on 2500 mile road trips in the middle of July. Did 104deg across the middle of Wyoming at 65mpg for hours again this year. Never been apart, and the valves have rarely needed any adjustment. I have built lots of load trip heads for buses using AA heads. I have 100% confidence in their durability at this point.

Brian
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Those heads are a collaboration with AA and Brother's. A mold was taken from Brother's hand ported heads and these were the result.

If you are concerned about quality of the valve job, buy them from Brother's instead although they are a few bucks more since they do their own valve job.

I just built a 2180cc with these heads; very impressed.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear good news about it. The more good heads we have the better.

Excessive material can always be removed easier than adding missing material! So they are going the right direction I think.

But it is the.... third? different head with the same 502 casting number....
or is it literally the same mold and they keep altering it. ? Rolling Eyes
They don't understand the function of a casting number.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

The 500 and 501 are similar but the 501 actually is a different casting on the exterior. They added material around the ports on the 501 since the 500 only allowed so much port volume without welding. This 502 looks like they didn't change anything except for the inside of the ports, compared to the 501. I guess to be fair they are all cast a little different, so therefore do perhaps deserve their own casting numbers.

Honestly I like the AA casting quality. My main gripe Is the fact that the valve guides are not great and that the valve job could be a little bit more precise out of the box...
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

Where are AA’s coming from?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:
Those heads are a collaboration with AA and Brother's. A mold was taken from Brother's hand ported heads and these were the result.

If you are concerned about quality of the valve job, buy them from Brother's instead although they are a few bucks more since they do their own valve job.

I just built a 2180cc with these heads; very impressed.

Wink

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I guess to be fair they are all cast a little different, so therefore do perhaps deserve their own casting numbers.

No I mean this is the third? version of the 502 casting.

From the cylinder head sticky, 2016 page three:

502 No longer in production. 40x35, 14mm short plug, heart chamber, solid chamber, 3 full fins.

[/quote]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A new Panchito 044 challenger ? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

The entire advantage that sets the Panchitos apart imo is the openness of the casting for cooling. Like Dave mentioned, any head porter can port a small head to flow as well as the off the shelf Panchito. If the casting they are using isn’t as efficient at cooling, what good is it? An 044 looses cooling efficiency to gain material for port volume. With the way Pat seems to be building turn keys, it seems like the Panchito is the perfect all around performance street head.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: