Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 New Cam and lifters
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

I have a new heads with valves, Scat C25 Cam along with new SCAT lube a lob lifters in my Type 4 Engine. Keeping the stock rockers/adjusters can I use the same removed pushrods or do I need to do the valve geometry and new rods to adjust? Thanks in advance for the input.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

If your cams base circle size is same as stock your pushrods should be fine.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

jhingen wrote:
I have a new heads with valves, Scat C25 Cam along with new SCAT lube a lob lifters in my Type 4 Engine. Keeping the stock rockers/adjusters can I use the same removed pushrods or do I need to do the valve geometry and new rods to adjust? Thanks in advance for the input.

You NEED to at least check geometry. The lifters and cams now are different enough that there will be changes at least half the time. Also the C25 is not,a stock cam so even more possibility.

Which type 4 is this? The 66mm 1.7L/1.8L crank or the 71mm 2.0L crank?

I have found that the 66mm crank engines are a little more susceptible to geometry change with an aftermarket cam change.

Also.....do yourself a favor and use solid rocker spacers. IIRC....they came from factory on 1.8s and 2.0 with hydro lifters.....and are a rock solid mod on all type 4. With the facyory 1.25 and 1.3 lift ratios.....a lot of the slop, noise, wear and geometry issuea come from the rockers rattling sideways on the shaft.
Even more so with after market, higher lift cams.

You can get solid spacer kits from AC.net and the type 4 store. While you are at it....ask them for a spare stock pushrod so you can make an adjustable checking pushrod to check geometry.

Yes.....the odds are good that you can use your stock pushrods.....but they are jist as good that you cant. With a new cam and lifters.....its 50/50.

Avoid rocker stand shims all you can. Avoid lashcaps. Use hardened valve stems.

Next great mod....swivel foot adjusters. They are not a crutch for setting up geometry....but they CAN paper over small geometry issues. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Like Ray said, you'll want to at least check.
An easy checking method is detailed in the Cheap Junk build in my sig.

On a mild build like yours I'd vote for solid spacers and a set of those cheap swivel feet from CB.

You can harvest the spacers form a hydro lifter bus or aircooled Vanagon if you don't want to spend the $19.30 for the kit. Razz
https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/type4store-products/valvetrain/rocker-spacer-kit.html

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

On a mild build like yours I'd vote for solid spacers and a set of those cheap swivel feet from CB.

You can harvest the spacers form a hydro lifter bus or aircooled Vanagon if you don't want to spend the $19.30 for the kit. Razz
https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/type4store-products/valvetrain/rocker-spacer-kit.html

Jeez....they are that cheap now? Best bang for a $20 dollar bill I can think of. Not even wortb the gas and phone time to find factory ones. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

[quote="Clatter"]Like Ray said, you'll want to at least check.

Before you order the cheap swivel feet adjusters ,check the size of the adjusters , 1700cc rockers have the same 8mm adjusters as a type 1 , 1800 and 2000 had 10mm adjusters . Although Jorge from EMW in California did tell me that some 1800’s did have 8mm adjusters as well .

These are not cheap but also not expensive ,the are high quality 10mm swivel feet adjusters . http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte%20ventileinstellsch%20en.htm
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Scat's Type 4 cams are on small base circles, so it'll affect the pushrod length.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

I did this exact setup right here Scat C25, solid spacers and CB adjusters. So far it has not had any issues and after checking geometry I was able to use the stock pushrods which was convenient for the budget build. Double check yours though, any variation in engine width can affect this.

-Derek
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply, been traveling. Thanks all for the good advice. I will look into all of it.
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
jhingen wrote:

You NEED to at least check geometry. The lifters and cams now are different enough that there will be changes at least half the time. Also the C25 is not,a stock cam so even more possibility.

Which type 4 is this? The 66mm 1.7L/1.8L crank or the 71mm 2.0L crank?

I have found that the 66mm crank engines are a little more susceptible to geometry change with an aftermarket cam change.

Also.....do yourself a favor and use solid rocker spacers. IIRC....they came from factory on 1.8s and 2.0 with hydro lifters.....and are a rock solid mod on all type 4. With the facyory 1.25 and 1.3 lift ratios.....a lot of the slop, noise, wear and geometry issuea come from the rockers rattling sideways on the shaft.
Even more so with after market, higher lift cams.

You can get solid spacer kits from AC.net and the type 4 store. While you are at it....ask them for a spare stock pushrod so you can make an adjustable checking pushrod to check geometry.

Yes.....the odds are good that you can use your stock pushrods.....but they are jist as good that you cant. With a new cam and lifters.....its 50/50.

Avoid rocker stand shims all you can. Avoid lashcaps. Use hardened valve stems.

Next great mod....swivel foot adjusters. They are not a crutch for setting up geometry....but they CAN paper over small geometry issues. Ray
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 New Cam and lifters Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Great thread on your Cheap junk build. Full of great info! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: