Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beginning of a 78 convertible bug project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a 78 convertible bug project Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
In addition to changing all the fuel and vacuum lines I also recommend cleaning all the ground wires for the fuel injection. Theres even a ground wire near the left headlight ground that needs to be good for the fuel pump to work (ask me how I know).

I'm throwing in a picture of a pristine 79 bug I owned a while back with just 3200 miles on it. Yep thats what it looked like when new!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Awesome! Yes, good point on that ground! Had an issue with that myself. Also to the O.P. Don't forget to change the oil cooler seals while you're in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a 78 convertible bug project Reply with quote

Update everything was going well, replacing all brakes, waiting for injectors to come back from rebuild, have all fuel lines ..etc etc. But I found this and more!

And the seat mount is rusted off and there are holes in that area bothe inside and outside. Wisconsin road salt sucks. So anyway I found a few spots there already welded together.
Now I know I should just replace the floor pans with the body off etc etc. But my budget(wife) is limited at this time. I see the pan repair parts,but they don't reach the entire area. So going to weld and patch it up. Question is can I weld over whats there, or do I need to just cut it all out and weld? I will do complete pans in future, but just need it to hold for a summer or 2.

Just ugly.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning of a 78 convertible bug project Reply with quote

Wherever you make a metal sandwich, moisture will condense, collect, and rot.

When overlapping a seam, say for spotwelding two panels together, liberally apply seam sealer to both sides of the seam.

As an example, see the mess of seam sealer spread over any spot welded seam on your bug.

So, for a quick and dirty pan repair, you can cut out the worst of it, leaving an inch or so ledge all the way around the hole, which is cleaned to shiny metal. Cut the patch an inch or so larger than the hole. Drill (or punch with an air punch) 1/4 inch holes every inch or so along the edge of the patch. Drop the patch onto the hole. Pool a spot weld in each of the holes all the way around the edge of the patch. Etch prime. Spray paint. Seam seal the edge on both sides.

Enjoy.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Tried my first repair of floor pan. I need some more practice for sure.

Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Latest updates Reply with quote

Have been busy working on the project named Oliver.
First floor pans

Then did the complete engine fuel lines,injectors rebuilt. Ignition parts replaced, oil cooler seals, rear seal, cluth and pressure plate, throw out bearing.

Did all the breaks with new parts, had drums turned..
New gas tank, fuel lines and tank

Spent a day chasing efi starting problem. Found this error that made!

Car is now running great. Started doing some cosmetic cleaning.

Looking forward to a top less cruze this summer!

Thanks for all the information shared here. It is a great resource.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: