Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Bus Transmission hanger/cradle help.........
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: 67 Bus Transmission hanger/cradle help......... Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to offer some help/insight into helping me straighten out my bent transmission cradle. I've made significant strides as one side of it was pancaked down due to the PO buggering it up on who knows what. I've measured the bus and the engine and it is, in fact, level. The transmission forks do not seem to be bent at all, just the cradle itself. In order to straighten what I could I dropped the engine to gain better access to the U-shaped cradle. I purchased a porta-power kit and spent a few hours vastly improving the overall configuration. My problem is that the porta power comes with a "spreader attachment" that worked great on the flattened side of the cradle but, the other side, is pushed flat in the other direction. I was able to greatly improve its position back to perpendicular but its still not straight. The problem is, in order to straighten it more, I need a "squeezing" device rather than a spreader. The metal is pretty tough so using things like C-clamps I don't think will work. As yet I have not removed the transmission which I'd rather not do because it seems like a major undertaking(dropping both rear axles and tires, etc.) Does anyone have any insights or pictures of methods they used to get the cradle straightened? I realize it might not make any difference but I'd kind of like to have it look a bit better(as I said it is greatly improved from previous) than it is presently. Thanks so much for any help or insight.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bus Transmission hanger/cradle help......... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761212&highlight=pipe+wrench

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: