Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

enamel badge Arzt = doctor
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

I recently purchased this badge. It is about 8x11 cm, chrome plated and enameled, made by Lehmann & Wundenberg, Hannover in Germany. It is not flat but slightly curved. Does anyone have any information about it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

I can't offer help with that badge. But I'd bet, like in the US back in the day, if you had a doctor's badge on your car- you could park virtually anywhere.

At least around my home in the 70s, if a doctor's car had a simple, green spot decal about 1-1/2 round stuck in your back window you had THE parking pass.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

Yup Connecticut used to issue “MD” plates and I figure if you had that you got a pass. Probably what this is.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
.... But I'd bet, like in the US back in the day, if you had a doctor's badge on your car- you could park virtually anywhere.

True, but why the VW emblem on the badge? Something doesn't seem right with this one.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

My father had a BMA - British Medical Association white-metal & red-enamel badge on his cars. He could also have had a green flashing light on the roof as well for emergency use, like the blue ones for police, fire, ambulance, coast guard and bomb-disposal.

https://old.lightbaruk.co.uk/green-flashing-beacon...ic%20laws.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

In the meantime, I found a reference to the badge myself. This was indeed original available from VW, as the photos and the text from the VW Information magazine No. 31 of 1957 show. There you can read on page 36 next to the picture the following:

Arzt im Dienst - Marking for the VW. Especially popular, because especially suitable for them, the VW is with the doctors. In order to mark the car on official journeys, there is the VW doctor badge, with red cross for doctors belonging to the DRK, with green cross for doctors who are in the Hartmannbund, and neutral with the inscription doctor. A plastic cover that can be slid on quickly covers the badge mounted on the bumper support when the vehicle is driven privately.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

nice info - now you've got to find a cover for it! Cool

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

no need to find a cover Laughing
I own two of those badges, and both still have their original covers

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: enamel badge Arzt = doctor Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Yup Connecticut used to issue “MD” plates and I figure if you had that you got a pass. Probably what this is.

In Great Britain, "doctors" (i.e. medical practitioners) typically hold two complimentary bachelor's degrees in medicine & surgery (i.e. M.B. & Ch.B. in Scotland etc, and M.B. & B.S. at some other institutions). The M.D. held by relatively few medical practitioners, is a higher research-degree in clinical medicine, taken after one has at the very least, completed the 5 or 6 year ultra full-time bachelor's degree programme and subsequent post-graduate training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_Kingdom

In recent decades, the number of medical schools in the United Kingdom has considerably expanded.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/how-we-quality-as...ew-schools

My father commenced his medical training as a mature student aged 27¼ in October 1956, at the Queen's College, University of St. Andrews, in Dundee, Scotland; gaining clinical experience at the DRI - Dundee Royal Infirmary, Maryfield Hospital & King's Cross Hospital in Dundee, plus a stint in the casualty department (i.e. accident & emergency department in modern parlance) in Greenock, near Glasgow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Dundee_School_of_Medicine

NASkeet wrote:
My father had a BMA - British Medical Association white-metal & red-enamel badge on his cars. He could also have had a green flashing light on the roof as well for emergency use, like the blue ones for police, fire, ambulance, coast guard and bomb-disposal.

https://old.lightbaruk.co.uk/green-flashing-beacon...ic%20laws.
In most parts of the World, the BMA - British Medical Association membership card, is recognised as a passport to enter, visit and/or use the local medical facilities; something my father did in various countries of the World, including Iceland, Ethiopia and South Africa. It also enabled us to visit the British MRC - Medical Research Council research laboratories in The Gambia, West Africa during our Easter holiday in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Medical_Association

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/research/units/mrc-gambia

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: