Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split bus with Subaru EA82 conversion - worthwhile?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torpedo51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Split bus with Subaru EA82 conversion - worthwhile? Reply with quote

Hi,
I acquired a 64 standard bus a few years ago that already had an EA82 (EA81+SPFI) installed. The prior owners spent a full year driving it all over the North American continent before a health problem force them to park their expedition and put it into storage. I bought it after it sat for 10 years in storage.

I recently had this engine rebuilt because it sat for so long without being drained. Now, I'm wondering whether I should put it back in? I think the original VW bus motor was roughly 50hp, and this EA82 is roughly 90hp.

Sure, that's an increase in power, but will it get my piglet over the mountains? The prior owners made it work. But I live in Colorado, and my family likes to head to the mountains regularly, not occasionally.

Thoughts on EA82 power in this application appreciated. Note: it has a Freeway Flier transmission and IRS.

I'll also appreciate suggestions for easy-to-install engine kits for anything more powerful, e.g. EJ22. My timeline doesn't permit me to home-brew an installation, I'd benefit from a kit or instructions that are reasonably complete.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: