Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust elbow, is it repairable?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

A new elbow is $250.
I’m sure I need all new piping.
I can’t afford it now.
Any ideas are helpful!

Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Have you checked the classifieds or eBay for one? Maybe you coul get a shop to weld the hole shut on the pipe as you’ll only lose EGR till you get a new one
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Great suggestions.
Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

No used ones on EBay but there was slightly less expensive ones.

I’ve had a welder help me before.

I haven’t examined the muffler system yet, but If I find rusty holes, could i use some of the JB Weld High heat products for a temporary fix.

I don’t have the money to do her right yet.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Those don't weld well from what I have read of others trying. 3rd one down maybe.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2413262

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2501163

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2435672

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2442434
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

I'd use JBWeld high heat putty. And simply delete your EGR.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

That EGR doesn't look like it's worked in years.

My farmer fix for that would be to ball up some wood stove gasket cord and clamp it over the end of the hole with a big long worm hose clamp. Of course that would be *temporary* until I could repair it with a welder. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

once those elbow clamshells start to fail it is simpler to just replace them. Jan Blair of Blair and Son's wrecking, (the third link) has a good used one for $70. I'll bet one could get him down enough to pay shipping. The bus is in California so it has to have a working EGR to pass smog unless BAR waives the EGR, which they do sometimes on Catalytic equipped buses, but not always. There are two gaskets plus the EGR gasket, and new bolts, washers and nuts needed. Whole repair including a temporary EGR block off would be under an hour and $100. Someone please explain to me why we need to do it any other way. If someone is welding and they pooch the crossover or heat exchanger, or dingleberries get into the catalytic it will only get more expensive. I get that people want to be frugal, but damn near everyone here had their bank accounts loaded with lots of cash this year, and some of our neighbors got as much as $25,000 USD tax free depending on what their financial status, and children count were. $70 is too much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

I agree on doing it right. But that is not a one-hour job, even on a dry bus. The system looks original, so count on some rusty hardware needing special attention. Plus, the flanges are likely bent and need to be straightened to get a good seal. Then they should be finish filed flat… Maybe painted?

Your biggest, baddest vise grips can pinch the tube shut for now. Remove the EGR rod until you can spend a day fixing it properly before your next smog check.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I agree on doing it right. But that is not a one-hour job, even on a dry bus. The system looks original, so count on some rusty hardware needing special attention. Plus, the flanges are likely bent and need to be straightened to get a good seal. Then they should be finish filed flat… Maybe painted?

Your biggest, baddest vise grips can pinch the tube shut for now. Remove the EGR rod until you can spend a day fixing it properly before your next smog check.

Robbie

My understanding is that the elbow is cracked, and not a warped flange. If the flange is warped and that is the leak you would be correct.

they are just replacing a cracked elbow. The bolts will be seized and can be twisted off with a couple closed end box wrenches. That is why new ones will be needed. Don't even mess with trying to save them. Someone young and flexible like you should be able to do that in 30 minutes Robbie if an old fart like me who is old and worn out can do it in 20 minutes. I swapped that whole area many times when working on fitting the Magnaflow cat project. The only "if" is if the pieces are too tight together, loosen the left driver side U pipe to heat exchanger a little to get more wiggle room. Those bolts may need to be replaced also which would add 20 minutes, three bolts, and a gasket. Use the older gaskets that compress better rather than the newer thin ones that don't take up any deformation. Some week when she has time she can redo the whole exhaust but for now just get that elbow.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

The elbow isn’t cracked. There is a shadow in the pic that makes it look like that.
I looked for more damage, didn’t see any.

I’m lucky enough to live in a handful of counties that don’t require a smog beyond the first time registering.

There is legislation in Sacramento the would change smog requirements to 1984.

I’m going to try to press the EGR hose shut and the JB weld on the elbow for now.
It’s illegal to sell block off plates in California.

I just won’t be able to sell her unless the law changes.
Oh well. Lol

Thanks everyone!
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

And yes, the bolts are tragically rusted.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

******My farmer fix for that would be to ball up some wood stove gasket cord and clamp it over the end of the hole with a big long worm hose clamp. Of course that would be *temporary* until I could repair it with a welder. Wink

The hole on the EGR or elbow?
Both?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Elbow, silence the putt putt putttt...., pull the electrical plug off the EGR (flying saucer) to disable the valve, the pipe can dangle open after that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Elbow, silence the putt putt putttt...., pull the electrical plug off the EGR (flying saucer) to disable the valve, the pipe can dangle open after that.

I would be blocking off the EGR at both ends where it mine.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

I only see one UFO Thing and it only has a hose on it.
On the distributor?
Remove the UFO?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Nope, not on the distributor, it's bigger and up front:

Слава Україні!
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Hmmmmm
I’ll be searching.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

the early 1976 electrical EGR is a disk. The 1976 1/2 manual EGR is a square block.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust elbow, is it repairable? Reply with quote

Mine was manufactured 3/76.
Found the other disc, near the charcoal filter.
Maybe the link is under it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: