Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Hello Samba i got issues and i think I can be helped.

Here is the deal im to the point where i need to connect my linkage.

what ive done

1st disconnect one side of my dual carb linkage

2nd get out my synchs

3rd warm up car

4th add synchrometers and adjust idle to exact specs on both sides

5th reconnect linkage

here is my problem after i reconnect the linkage it still idles a cool 1000 rpms then i hit the throttle and it takes a few seconds up to a minute for the idle to go back down to 1000 rpms from 1150 it does go down back to a cool idle but every one in a while it hoovers like its stuck then adjust.

Ive summed it up as a inkage issue but can seem to get it adjusted where it drops immediately down to 1000 rpms from any rpm.

I originally had the car idle a cool 900 never skipped a beat and always dropped down exactly to 900 rpms but felt it was too low.

reason I upped the idle.

synch is good just this idle glitch

anybody got any ideals how to fix the problem

thanks in advance
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Spray some lubricant on all the heim joints and pivot points on your linkage. If that don't help then try an extra return spring on the linkage. Won't hurt to lubricate the pedal to be sure it operates freely.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Also.....Is this a cross-bar linkage? Is there just a hair of slop side to side in the cross bar?? If it's too tight that might be holding it up too. An extra spring will help and help identify that part (assuming your throttle shafts/arms are returning back to their stops as they should so you know *they* are not the problem.

Moreso....If it's a cross bar type, pay attention to when the motor is hot vs cold and make sure the bar is never binding. A little slop is ok, imho, though ideally it'd be bearing/smooth hot or cold, but that's usually just not the case.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Post a photo
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Between step 4 and 5

Did you adjust the crossbar to ensure both carbs open and close at the same rate?

Having it off a bit can cause the issue you describe.
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

no did not check the cross bar yet will do that first thing and get a photo thanks guys
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

ok guys i got it figured out and it was the crss bar.Had a lot of sideways slop.Here are some pics of my bug 66 sunroof and motor 2276 9.5 to1 with 44 idfs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

The throttle cable could be just a little too tight. I've adjusted it too tight before and ended up with a similar problem. Depends also on where the accelerator pedal stop bottoms out, paired with the dual carb linkage it can limit full travel at the carb, hence why having it too tightly adjusted (I'm the quest for full WOT) can prevent a proper return back to idle. Do you have a stock pedal assembly?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

FYI-Those ball and socket ends on the cross bar eventually wear out.

Always grab that area and wiggle side to side and front to back.

Once it wears you can either fab something up or buy a new crossbar or you can always go with something like this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2390952
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Those look very nice and prolly work even better.Thanks for the heads up on these and the previous info to get me tuned up
VW&MGman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

I seem to have the same problem with the same set up you have. My cross shaft could move in all directions around the 'ball' that the shaft rotates on.

So I gather if there is any slop in the linkage the idle it will never properly return to it's original settings. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone have any experience with these?

thanks
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

apparently everybody is doing this but why not just get a new cross bar its only 40 bucks and there are different ones. ones with white teflon check it out

http://carcraftstore.com/linkagebearingconversionupgrade.aspx
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

http://carcraftstore.com/crossbarlinkagebushings.aspx
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Any slop in that area will cause synch probs throughout.

You can search for crossbar slop or fix threads for ideas on repairs which include the ball bearing or heim joints or using a cut cromoly or bronze bushing drilled and inserted into the crossbar ends to help with the wear

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371370&highlight=hex+bar+slop
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

You seem to be missing this basic step to getting both carbs to open at the same time.

Loosen the jam nuts on one pushrod. One is right hand thread, and the other left.
Now you can spin the rod and make the rod longer/shorter just by spinning the pushrod.

With the motor off, grab the throttle cable and just lift it to a "fast idle" position. Both carbs should lift off the stops at exactly the same moment.

If one leads the other, spin the rod to lengthen/shorten so that they both open in sync. 1/8th of a turn makes a significant change, so go slowly.
Once you have them looking good, lock the jam nuts and re-check.
Sometimes tightening the nuts can throw it off again. So re-check is important step.

So many folks miss this step and it's so important to making dual carbs run smoothly.

Even if things are worn and have slop, doing this will compensate for any slop in the system and allow for smooth operation.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
You seem to be missing this basic step to getting both carbs to open at the same time.

Loosen the jam nuts on one pushrod. One is right hand thread, and the other left.
Now you can spin the rod and make the rod longer/shorter just by spinning the pushrod.

With the motor off, grab the throttle cable and just lift it to a "fast idle" position. Both carbs should lift off the stops at exactly the same moment.

If one leads the other, spin the rod to lengthen/shorten so that they both open in sync. 1/8th of a turn makes a significant change, so go slowly.
Once you have them looking good, lock the jam nuts and re-check.
Sometimes tightening the nuts can throw it off again. So re-check is important step.

So many folks miss this step and it's so important to making dual carbs run smoothly.

Even if things are worn and have slop, doing this will compensate for any slop in the system and allow for smooth operation.

I have found using the cable or pedal to move the cross bar helps to keep a bar with slightly worn ends usable longer this summer when someone out off roading in thier dune buggy was having issues.
3 people tried to get those carbs running smooth and all 3 used thier hand on the center arm but I noticed the movement they made caused the cross bar to move slightly different than when the pedal was pushed and created the movement.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Any slop in those ball joints will cause inconsistencies throughout the throttle movement between one side and the other.

Slop in the heim joints as well do not help.

Last edited by 74 Thing on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

I have seen that style of crossbar also have issues where one of the arms was hitting the right hand air cleaner base and pushing the arm and crossbar sideways until the play built up in the crossbar.

It was frustrating the owner as it caused all kinds of popping and balance issues.

The design of the crosbar pivot bearings is pretty crude allowing them to eat into the ends of the bar.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

VW&MGman wrote:
I seem to have the same problem with the same set up you have. My cross shaft could move in all directions around the 'ball' that the shaft rotates on.

So I gather if there is any slop in the linkage the idle it will never properly return to it's original settings. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone have any experience with these?

thanks

no not yet we will see.

I just paid UP BRUCE who is selling these here on the samba for a kit.

cant wait to see the results
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 44 idf carbs synchronizing last part i cant complete need help Reply with quote

Get both sides as close bye eyeball (cold engine). Then start and warm up engine.

Having the idle speed screw/s too far open can cause the issue you describe as well. Keep them 1/2 turn in from first contact with the lever. It will and should run like a tractor when started.

Then check the sync side-side. Bring hi flow carb down to low flow carb. Keep the idle down low until it's warmed up good. Then LBI each afr screw. Then re-check sync. Once engine is warm set idle at roughly 850rpm or so. Lower is better IMO. Then recheck sync. Then do LBI again.

Once LBI is done recheck sync and rpms. Snail readings should be in the 4-6 range once complete.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: