Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
jjb182 wrote:
...to fix little odds and ends, and electrical (turn signal stuff--thank God the real electrical stuff is now fixed)...

There's an old saying: Mechanical problems take minutes to diagnose and hours to fix... electrical problems take hours to diagnose and minutes to fix.

At my age I happily pay to have some mechanical work done (e.g. transaxle R&R) but I don't pay someone to chase down electric faults. Usually time, patience and a methodical approach with a VOM are all that are needed but to hire it out could be rather expensive.
I like this say, hadn't heard it before.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Quote:
There's an old saying: Mechanical problems take minutes to diagnose and hours to fix... electrical problems take hours to diagnose and minutes to fix.

Thats the matra of a mechanic who has refused to keep educating her/himself on technology as it evolves.

People do focus on the 'bizarre' electronic failures, but 99% of them are straightforward...and often mechanical connector failures.
jjb182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Hi again!

Vanis13, I'm a little (lot) jealous of your signature line (83.5 Westy with Subaru 2.5, 4 spd manual, center seat, COLD A/C on 134a!, Winter camp heated with an Espar B4 gasoline furnace)

So HillTop Motors here in Jax charges $95 an hour so I'm planning to take it there for the gas smell/leak... and I'm realizing that $95/hour is reasonable/good. I guess I haven't taken in a car/bus/van to be serviced in a LONG time.

Depending on how much time he quotes me to do the pop top... I will likely just do that myself... or maybe connect with Vanis13.

Anyhow, it's nice to have a Group! Thanks for all of the support!

Also... a Black Friday sale on a solar system had me buy an EcoFlow Delta Max 1600, with way too many solar panels--I'm embarrassed to say...and they won't all fit on the van! But it seemed like a deal. It was a tough call between this and the Jackery.

Thanks All for the support!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Just be careful.

There was a thread a month or two ago about a Van owner all pissed at BusDepot because of the crummy ill fitting tent they sold him and their refusal to refund or replace the tent,

Once pictures were forthcoming it ended up being one of the worst installs any of us have ever seen!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758447&highlight=bus+depot+tent

Just because you are paying a "professional" someone does not mean that you are going to get a quality installation!
As a matter of fact I am of the mindset that most DIY jobs will actually come out better because of the pride in ownership.

You are looking at a shop charge of close to $1,000 I bet.
If they aren't experienced at doing poptop tents you will be paying them hourly for their education.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

If you do decide to install the tent yourself, I think my 84 will be identical to what you will be working with.

I saved a few pictures and came up with a couple of tricks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
If you do decide to install the tent yourself, I think my 84 will be identical to what you will be working with.

I saved a few pictures and came up with a couple of tricks.

Please share. Thank you
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Just get it running over the winter and in spring go to Quebec and get it installed by a professional. Cheaper than any installer in the states only costs time and gas lol. When I went there were close to a bazillion geese migrating south it was deafening.

There was this youtube video posted here of the gentleman at a vanagon event installing a tent incredibly fast. He was carrying on a conversation the whole time. I watched a lot of videos and read a bunch of threads. It definitelylooks doable, but my van was up in Maine at the time so it made sense at the time. Plus I got one of his awesome tents!

http://www.atelierspk.com/west_english.html

Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Does anyone recall the man who installs Vanagon windows at the Busses By The Bridge or the Syncrofest events?
I will be at both events and hope to use his services if I connect with him.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

zimflux wrote:
...Please share. Thank you

Tent replacement is discussed many places including YouTube vids, so I'll just highlight some things I came up with.

I installed my Bud Depot tent with the fiberglass top in place.

These tools from Harbor Freight were very useful, especially in the aft area:

My 84 had the aluminum strips held with screws but also these little wood blocks pushed into the channels or grooves that the tent was stapled to:

Perhaps the blocks were just to make assembly easier. They were not really salvageable so I made some (longer) replacements out of strips of plywood:

Had to sand the plywood a bit to make it a snug fit in the groove:

Those blocks made stapling the new tent in place a cinch.

To make the new tent more manageable I used strips of paper to bundle it, then ripped them off as I got to each section:

I undid the two supports one at a time to 'sneak' the new canvas past them:

Once stapled in place an awl was used to locate the screw holes for the aluminum strips and to punch through the canvas:

Everything else was just the routine steps for an install.

I wouldn't want to do this on a hot day or in the rain (working outside) but it can be a pleasant and satisfying task if tackled in an unhurried fashion.

As Dave notes, an owner-installed tent is likely done with more care than many professional jobs. It may take us longer but we're going to live with the result and will make it the best it can be.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Thanks Ahwahnee - It's posts like yours that make thesamba so unbelievably helpful. I will probably only replace a tent canvas once in my life, but it will be easier because of those tips/tricks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjb182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee! Your van looks a lot like mine! And fabulous job on the instructions.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Error post

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

Having seen the hack jobs that some so-called 'professionals' (not all, to be sure) do on pop-top installations, I too would really recommend doing it yourself. And I guarantee that if you aren't happy after someone else installs it, it's going to be a world of hurt trying to make them live up to any so-called guarantee they offered - there will be every excuse in the world.

You just can't buy the kind of love you can put into your own van. AND - worst case - even if you have to take it off and start again from scratch at least you're not out a grand.

Took me roughly a full day to do mine, first time I'd done a Vanagon and that included a lot of fiddling around because I wasn't 100% sure about the process - had to keep running back to the Samba and checking details and taking breaks to just sit and look at it to think it through.

Turned out superb though. I found careful attention to alignment when starting was really key. Should have thought ahead and bought new staple strips though, I think I got tetanus from being repeatedly stabbed while pulling 40,000 rusty staples out of the old stuff to re-use it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there a traveling Vanagon Mechanic... years ago? Reply with quote

I did my '87 tent myself a few years ago. After getting it done, I swore that if someone were to ask me to install one for them, I'd tell them "no less than $1000 for me to do it for you" .. I agree taking time and making sure things are well researched, and thought through was the only way I got through it myself.

Now, I am also not looking forward to, but in need of doing my recently new to me '86 Westy. Oh the Joy! I asked Mrs. Black if she'd like the same color tent as came on the bus (Tan tent Pastel White bus [ugh, brown interior]) or to go with a different color, showing her an ample set of colors which I thought red was nice... Nope, Gray! Fine by me, BD version of tent has been great for us so far!

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: