Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am in the process of rebuilding a single cab and have the transaxle out of the bus on some stands but have no experience in refreshing a trans. Just spend 3 hours chipping and brushing the varnished dried oil off the case.

What I need is some advice on what to do to an unknown condition (bus was reportedly running 30 years ago apparently) trans while I have it out. I will be getting new mounts for it and installing a new starter bushing and boots but wonder if there is anything else I should be looking into.

Also what is the best way to deal with transmission and gear oil that has been sitting in an unused transaxle for at least 30 years. Just drain and add more? is there some sort of flush I should consider?

Thanks for the advice.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

I'd say depends on your budget and timing of how close you are to being ready to drive the truck. In other words while you might have the budget to send it out to someone to completely go through it including the reduction boxes and totally refurbish it, if you are a year or 5 from actually using it then that wouldn't be a good idea to me. Otherwise it's a completely unknown component I'd be inclined to service the obvious that I could see without a lot of disassembly, install it fill it with fresh gear oil use magnetic drain plugs and see what happens. If it operates ok then change the oil after minimal mileage, say like 20 or 50 miles and monitor further to gain confidence in what you have or don't have.

OR, perhaps after installing the transmission and engine you could drain the old gear oil out and create a solvent/oil mixture say gear oil and diesel fuel....the ratio is up to you...fill the transmission and reduction boxes with your mixture and run it through the gears with the wheels off and the truck on jack stands. A "no load" situation just spinning the drums. That might tell you if all the gears mate up and work but probably wouldn't tell you if it would pop out of gear once loaded and going down the road. Then after running it a bit on the jack stands drain your mix out and fill with just gear oil put the wheels on and go for a spin.
Good Luck!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

Are the brake drums on it?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

I call it "playing the transmission lottery"

You could have a nice shifting perfectly good transmission which doesn't make any weird noises. Or you could waste a perfectly good weekend.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Khopkinsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

Strickly Foreign in Grants pass is only an hour away.

They could inspect if for you and put in new gaskets. No idea what they would charge.

It is worth your time to make the phone call and find out.
62 DC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I call it "playing the transmission lottery"

You could have a nice shifting perfectly good transmission which doesn't make any weird noises. Or you could waste a perfectly good weekend.

x2 on the transmission lottery. Same goes for unknown engines Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission refresh (ie what to do short of cracking the case) Reply with quote

Years ago I used to play the transmission lottery and usually won, but over the past three years I’ve replaced four transmissions. So now if it’s an unknown I just send them in, they are mostly all worn to hell at this point. If you have a reputable place close enough I’d send it in. Peace of mind is worth something too.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: