Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing 6 Status report
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

After a comedy of errors, I got to California, scooped up Thing 6, and got it back home.

The comedy wasn't over, as I couldn't find the VIN. Was this to be relegated to off road only? NO, I found it, under several layers of paint (thus faint) and hidden under the seat belt latches, which had been added at some point. I'll get the Sheriff's Office out to do a VIN check, then go for the administrative proctology at DMV.

Looking it over, I also discovered that the engine is a 1970 1600 -- with 60 whole HP of screaming energy -- and it has an EMPI shift lever. This may be cause of the reported no-reverse condition. Once I get a battery in it (we used a borrowed battery to fire it up for loading on the trailer), I can psych this out.

FO had bought wheel bearings, so that will probably happen next weekend. While I have it on the lift, I'll get a good luck underneath, and see what 50 years' worth of owners have done under there. I'll also see what has to be done to add a rear engine cage, and figure out what has to be done to get the parking brake back in (I'm not interested in doing a remake of "The Gods Must Be Crazy" gate scene).

Current plan is to take care of the above, then add a tap to operate the lights for towing.

Okay, so it's not orange, and doesn't have "01" on the side, but still, YEE-HAW!!!
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Okay, got the VIN check done by the Sheriff's Office, so will get to DMV and get it titled here.

Pulled the LR wheel and drum. Obviously the oil seal has failed, no biggie, I have bearing and seal sets to put in for both rear wheels.

. . .but WAITAMINNITT!

Front wheels are 4-lug.

Rear wheels are 5-lug!

Going to have to psych this out.

Checking YouTube for bearing-replacement videos . . .
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Thing #6 wrote:
Okay, got the VIN check done by the Sheriff's Office, so will get to DMV and get it titled here.

Pulled the LR wheel and drum. Obviously the oil seal has failed, no biggie, I have bearing and seal sets to put in for both rear wheels.

. . .but WAITAMINNITT!

Front wheels are 4-lug.

Rear wheels are 5-lug!

Going to have to psych this out.

Checking YouTube for bearing-replacement videos . . .

Not necessarily.... MY PO put the seal in backwards... on 1 side only?? Embarassed

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

Not necessarily.... MY PO put the seal in backwards... on 1 side only?? Embarassed

He decided tht he wanted a 100% probably of getting it right ONCE instead of a 50% possibility of getting them wrong TWICE.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

UPDATE 10 MAR 22

The bearing was good -- oil seal bad, easily replaced.

WX and work kept me doing other things until the other day, but this gave time to see if the oil seal was going to work.

Ran it a couple of times on the dirt across from my place. Total of about a mile. Needs a couple of things done.

Turned out to have disc on the front, standard swing axle rear. Since the spare is a 4-lug, I'm just going to get an adapter so that I can use it on the rear if necessary.

Needs tires.

I replaced the shifter bushing today. Gee . . .what . . .fun . . .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Discs are available in the wide 5 bolt pattern but discs on the front of a light Buggy are a waste in my view unless you are doing high speeds on the freeway. Drums provide all the braking power you will ever need around town and on the trails. Our Buggies are heavily weight biased on the rear and lighter than stock on the front.

I have both a street Buggy and an off road one and do not carry a spare in either car. A risk I take but with the quality and construction of tires these days flats are rare. I have run the rail now for 10 years, street one for 4 years with no flats. The street Buggy picked up a nail somewhere 2 summers ago but it hit the steel belts in the tire and turned sideways so we just pulled it out, no leak.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

The Thing is probably lighter than most.

As far as a spare tire, the places that I will be going, I really want the added insurance. A lot of them, I can't count on anyone showing up to rescue, so I have to be as self-sufficient as possible.

I got the shifter bushing replacement done this morning, and put on urethane couplers. I went out for a 5 mile drive, and need to adjust the shift lever a bit to the side (it goes into reverse where 2nd is supposed to be, and makes a bit of a whine in 3rd and 4th).

The engine hesitates on acceleration, but a look into the carb throat shows that the accelerator pump is squirting gas. The mechanical advance operates smoothly when I twist the rotor and release it. I'm figuring that the static timing isn't right.

Other than that, it just needs a little TLC to be ready for prime time. I'm looking forward to running the desert this summer.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Try retiming it but chances are that you have a mismatched carb/distributor combination. Most air cooled VW engines today do. Or a vacuum leak...
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Okay, how do I check for a mismatched carb and distributor?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

There is a chart on this site somewhere that lists the years, carb and distributor model numbers that matched. I don't see it at the moment. Get the numbers off yours and post them here and we can point you in the right direction. There has been a variety of pulley makings over the years to so you need to know which pulley you have or find TDC and mark the correct degrees on it for your carb/ distributor combination.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

There's an aluminum tag on my carb, but it is blank on both sides.

The casting says 34 PICT 3, but nothing about any particular sub-model.

Is there any way to tell by looking at it?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

If it is an actual VW built carb it will have a number stamped on the base too starting with VW and a series of numbers. An aftermarket clone may not have that. The distributor that matches will have a number that ends in 205A with another letter, A,J,K etc. It will have both centrifugal and vacuum advance.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

If ypu have an 009 (mechanical advance only, and not cast iron, then it probably is), it is not a good match for your 34pict 3 carb. But should work. Also, the 009 distributor is timed best with a timing light, and for maximum advance of 32 degrees.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

Just a guess from far away but it likely is a 009 and that is why he has a problem. He has not come back yet with the number off the distributor. Yes they will run with a 009 and a 34 pict 3 but not properly.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

I think it's a Bosch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has the Pertronix Ver 1 electronic ignition module.

I should also note that I'm at 4200 feet altitude, so wondering if there is a carb-jet issue. The guy I got it from was at about 1500 feet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

It does look German, that is a plus. The problem with the 009 is that the advance curve is not that well suited to a street driven car. Whether it has points or upgraded to electronic trigger does not change that. It has a notchy curve. Most guys just richen up the mixture until it mostly goes away but then the fuel economy suffers.

That distributor was developed for stationary engines I understand that run at one rpm at full or close to full load. Back in the 60's the drag racers discovered them and used them extensively. They worked well for them because a drag race engine is basically the same, full load, max rpm. No interest in drivability.

And of course the street guys always copy the drag racers right?

What is happening is that your engine is needing more advance at low rpm and light throttle than an 009 will ever give it.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thing 6 Status report Reply with quote

So, I just need to put on a vac-advanced distributor?

Is there a particular number that I should look for (or avoid)?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: