Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best bearing brands
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

What's the best brand of rod and cam bearings these days?
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
What's the best brand of rod and cam bearings these days?

I used to have better luck with Silverline, but not recently. The last set of cam bearings were okay, but something with the tang in the rod bearings was off, and the rods wouldn't spin freely when the bolts were torqued to spec. I installed Mahle rod bearings and they fit like they should.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

I used clevite (from mahle) rod bearings, silverline mains, and double thrust mahle cam bearings on my 1776 build, and didn't have any issues with fit on any them.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

I have a bunch of nos Glyco cam bearings that I'm selling. The only other options are new Glyco/Federal Mogul ones or Silverline. You get what you pay for. The Silverlines need sanding to fit correctly so you don't spin your thrust bearings.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I have a bunch of nos Glyco cam bearings that I'm selling. The only other options are new Glyco/Federal Mogul ones or Silverline. You get what you pay for. The Silverlines need sanding to fit correctly so you don't spin your thrust bearings.

Do you have part numbers on the Federal/glyco parts available new?

Also, anybody have an opinion on these? "Sealed Engine Power" I wonder who the OEM on them is. Steel backed bronze, allegedly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ept000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

I have had the same issue with Silverline bearings. I hate to sat it but one solution is to assemble the rod with the bearing and give the rod a tap with a dead blow right at the seam both ways and they free right up. There is a deformation from forming the tank that needs to get flattened out.

I hated to say that out loud but sometimes you have no options....
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Also, anybody have an opinion on these? "Sealed Engine Power" I wonder who the OEM on them is. Steel backed bronze, allegedly.

I just got these on RockAuto for $18. They measure good, have more eccentricity than Modok hinted at when he bought them a few years ago and didn't like what he saw, and don't have the "shell end curling" issue that the Silverline rod AND main bearings have (Yes the mains have the end deformation too, I have 3 sets and I am debating if they're all too bad to use.) On paper these Sealed Powers should be a VERY good bearing. I'll put them in my SCAT rods tonight or tomorrow and bore gauge them and see if they crush into round. my Silverlines, of course, did not.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

ept000 wrote:
I have had the same issue with Silverline bearings. I hate to sat it but one solution is to assemble the rod with the bearing and give the rod a tap with a dead blow right at the seam both ways and they free right up. There is a deformation from forming the tank that needs to get flattened out.

I hated to say that out loud but sometimes you have no options....

You hate to say it why? This very practice is shown in the manuals. It’s been around forever. Careful this is a tell, how many engines have you built?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

ept000 wrote:

That's... literally what you're supposed to do. I thought this was common knowledge with all of our VW rod bearings? It's in the Bentley.

jimmyhoffa wrote:
I just got these on RockAuto for $18. They measure good, have more eccentricity than Modok hinted at when he bought them a few years ago and didn't like what he saw, and don't have the "shell end curling" issue that the Silverline rod AND main bearings have (Yes the mains have the end deformation too, I have 3 sets and I am debating if they're all too bad to use.) On paper these Sealed Powers should be a VERY good bearing. I'll put them in my SCAT rods tonight or tomorrow and bore gauge them and see if they crush into round. my Silverlines, of course, did not.

That's good to hear! I'm always planning the next build so maybe I'll grab a set. Nice lead on them being cheaper at Rockauto, need to order parts anyway for the Jetta soon, I'll toss a set in the order. Cool

I wonder how they will hold up over time compared to the newer Clevite rod bearings, now that the Clevites don't seem to be tri-metal anymore. I put a set in my 1776 but really wish I could have found some of the older ones before they went all-aluminum/silicon "bimetal" even though the newer style allegedly work well.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Sealed Power is a Federal Mogul brand. I've ordered samples for builders from them before. I can import them for you if you'd like. If you build a lot of engines it would be beneficial.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

all the 2930cp I've used the last few years are definitely old stock. OLD boxes man.

If there is a NEW run of them that's great!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Hey guys I forgot to post how this worked out. I don't have the VERY best measuring tools but the MAHLE and Sealed Power / Federal Mogul bearings appear to have about the same eccentricity and round up pretty well in a torqued rod. The FM bearings are a few tenths looser than the MAHLE so if you like the tri-metal idea and need the clearance for some reason or another these are probably a really good option. I'd like input there. These appear to be a quality tri-metal, so since the new run is dimensionally tidy, I'd think these would be the holy grail street engine bearing for the moment, no? (so long as you can get your clearances dialed with crank journal diameter luck or rod tweaking, of course)

These are in SCAT H-beams with ARP-2000 hardware, 3/8", stretched ~.006" at about 50 ft-lb. I don't really pay attention to torque but the stretch is right and the rod bore is round within a tenth.

First, I mic'd out the Mahles as close as I could with the "wrong" micrometer. Very Happy
Mahle Center, .0548" -ish.

Mahle End, .0543" -ish.

Then, for this whole activity, we'll call across the center of torqued Mahles "0"

Now, across near the split of the Mahles, about .0003" bigger:

And across the other way, about .0002" bigger as well:

Now, FEDERAL MOGUL / Sealed Power time!
FM center, .0544" -ish

FM near end, about .0538" -ish

Straight across torqued FM bearings, about .0003" looser than straight across MAHLE:

Angle near ends FM bearings, about .00015" looser than across their middle:

I get that the accuracy of my measurements can't be certified due to the labeled accuracy of my instruments but hopefully this is still useful. Someone at my last job very intentionally stole my Sunnen dial bore gauge and I will absolutely never forgive them and carry that grudge to my grave. Whoever you are, if you're out there, you can suck it. 👍

Last edited by jimmyhoffa on Thu May 12, 2022 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Appreciate the follow-up, I may pick up a set to have on hand. Cool

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely order some of those new bearings. Very Happy
Tri-metal bearing with that extra half thou clearance should be the better choice most of the time.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

I just pulled the trigger on 2 more sets of them from RockAuto,

42930CP or 4-2930CP. They're $23.79 now because of reasons.

It'll put me right at .002" rod bearing oil clearance which is probably good for my offroad engine with near-the-top main bearing clearances.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Ive found that Rock Auto and Napa both have alot of the more original parts, rather than just chinese crap. Tune up components, shocks, brakes
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Same, Napa is great, I live less than a mile from one too. Often if I order parts from them they are ready for pickup by the time I'm on my way home from work.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Ordered two sets. Thanks for the info.

I have two sets of the Mahle, and they both measured out kinda tight. So these might be a touch looser. And the second set of mahle had the tangs kinda twisted, not flat at all.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

I have a full set of standard Kolbenschmidt main and rod bearings from the early 90’s.
Boxes say made in West Germany. I have the cam bearings too but they have some pitting from what I can only assume was moisture.

Are these still considered good ones or do the newer ones have features and benefits the old Kolbenschmidts lack?
I still like the Elephant though.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best bearing brands Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

I have two sets of the Mahle, and they both measured out kinda tight. So these might be a touch looser. And the second set of mahle had the tangs kinda twisted, not flat at all.

My Mahles are right on the tightest end of being in tolerance. I have another engine for a friend I'm doing that has a used polished stock crank near the bottom of the tolerance so it'll get the MAHLEs I suppose.

I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out but all you have to do is build 4 engines at once (my stroker, my EFI 1835, Kangaboy's 2085 e85 turbo and my buddy's 1600SP) and have about 150% as many parts as you need and then you should be able to scramble some marginally well-fitted engines together. I'm sailing down easy street in a greased toboggan now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: