Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First start oil question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: First start oil question Reply with quote

Just put in new build, cam was broke in and dyno tested and oil drained already by builder. Question is correct way to fill full flow system to check new oil lines for leaks and fill system for start up. Full flow, 2 qrt deep sump, external oil filter and thermo bypass with external cooler/fan. I figure start by filling external filter before install and adding around 4-5qrt to motor, disconnect power to coil, pull coil plug for good measure and crank motor over to fill external lines and build some pressure before starting motor. Do i need to pull spark plugs during this? Am i way off here to start by doing these things? I looked for a thread with info, but came up short. Thank you for suggestions or remarks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Sounds right to me. Common sense. I do pull the plugs initially to spin the engine for oil pressure. It turns faster that way and there isn't any load on the bearings.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

If it was already cam run then none of that is needed. Just add oil check level and start it. Make sure it builds pressure normally if not shut it down.
Probably will be low on oil because of the extra oil systems so after running a few seconds shut it down and fill oil to the mark again. Run and check it again.
Be sure to use an oil with ZDDP a zinc additive!
If it has a large capacity oil pump it's good to use a fairly lightweight oil ie 5W30 or 0W40 and not rev the engine with cold oil temperatures.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Was concerned with the lack of oil through out the external system causing issues and being able to check all the new lines for leaks, but again thank you for the responses. Moving forward tomorrow morning
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

1LoWezl wrote:
I figure start by filling external filter before install and adding around 4-5qrt to motor, disconnect power to coil, pull coil plug for good measure and crank motor over to fill external lines and build some pressure before starting motor.

This is what I have done (I have CB Maxi2 filter pumps).

I do NOT remove the spark plugs for this.

Just replying with what I do; not necessarily recommending to all.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

You definitely need to pull the plugs. I actually installed a pre-oiler on my 6cyl stroker that I can get +10psi before every start/every day. It also works great as a post-oiler if you run a turbo.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
If it was already cam run then none of that is needed. Just add oil check level and start it. Make sure it builds pressure normally if not shut it down.
Probably will be low on oil because of the extra oil systems so after running a few seconds shut it down and fill oil to the mark again. Run and check it again.
Be sure to use an oil with ZDDP a zinc additive!
If it has a large capacity oil pump it's good to use a fairly lightweight oil ie 5W30 or 0W40 and not rev the engine with cold oil temperatures.

X2 on an engine that’s already run you don’t need to do any pre oiling, do you pre oil after every oil change? Of course not.
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Thanx for all the input, much appreciated. Seems common sense normally prevails. After first start the oil pressure is reading around 60-65. I am using zinc additive oil but was told to use 20-50 by builder. I know as oil gets up to temp it will thin, but seems high so I shut motor down after 3-5 min. No nasty revs or throttle romps, just few lifts of rpm and idle. Found 2 small leaks so in those in morning and restart. Should I worry about the high pressure? I’m sure part of it is the heavy oil and the 30mm pump.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Yeah, that heavy oil may be responsible for that.

Max
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

This is what I have done (I have CB Maxi2 filter pumps).

Just replying with what I do; not necessarily recommending to all.....

Slowly extinguishes flame thrower igniter and re-holsters nozzle .......... Laughing Twisted Evil Wink
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

If someone recommended 20w50 to me I’d start watching them more closely because it’s bad advice.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
If someone recommended 20w50 to me I’d start watching them more closely because it’s bad advice.

Say that to Shawn Geers, Jason Lauffer, or Jack Sachette. LAT or VR1 20w50 is the only oil they've ever thrown in my block or recommended.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

It depends, on the oil pressure an engine builds with a oil when it's cold. The oil pump is inserted into the end of the cam with a oil pump tang.
When a oil is cold and oil pressures over 100 psi can happen or even worse the oil is too thick to be drawn into the oil pump intake and the oil pressure drops to zero when revved cold because it's a oversized 26mm oil pump or 30mm or more and it can't draw oil up fast enough and cavatates. IN a way it's a worse problem with a deep sump and extra cooler and lines more so because it's really thick and really slow to warm up and if the oil level is low or the pump is oversized or the engine pickup tube leaks or it's an early case with the small pickup or the oil pump intake hole doesn't fit the case hole well. In the worst case scenario the oil pump tang sheers because of the thick oil and being revved cold. Usually the lines blow first!
There may be a place for 20W50 though! Like crossing the desert in 105' heat and prolonged highway driving. Stock oil systems are more tolerant to 20W50.
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

While i understand that the heavy oil weight could possibly be a problem for some in cold areas, this is what was recommended by the builder (VR1 20-50) w/ zinc so i choose to use that. They build plenty of high end high hp motors yearly and i took their advice over my own. Right now, cold it runs at 60-65, i did not let it come fully up to temp on idle because i found couple leaks so i shut it down. These need attention in morning, but never in the first start did i OVER rev the motor nor plan on it until it has some miles. I did pull couple of the oil lines between filter and bypass, all had oil. Again, i thank everyone for their opinions and experiences!!! as i have been away from the game for quite some time. 100 ways to skin a pig, like to see those ways and make an educated decision when able to skin it myself. Again, thank you all for your time, thoughts and experiences.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

It would be good to monitor both oil temp and oil pressure then.
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First start oil question Reply with quote

So got motor up and running after couple oil leaks which are fixed now. Starts off at 60 psi cold in garage and after warmed up drops to 20 on idle and up to 40 when driving. Only put 3 miles around neighborhood to monitor motor and tranny, seems to be good but a run up valley will tell the tale. Oil temp has only gotten to 170 on gauge, seems cool to me. Haven't even had the external cooler kick in yet, but like i said i need a 30min plus run to really check things out. Thanx again for the comments
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: