Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rayjay turbo need help.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

I have a turbo kit, well what’s left of it. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs assembled ? Also any added information. I’m almost positive it’s a drawl thru setup. I understand I can place a “T” and supply oil from the OPS to the turbo.
Where do I run a return line? And does that have to be regulated?
Also it’s going on my stock 1638dp
Also it doesn’t have a watergate ? But came with a blowout valve. Where does /should the BOV go.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

There was a posting here not to long ago with pictures showing a very original setup on a car at some event. Found it... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9685121
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

There is probably some custom stuff going on there. That intake is a modified Holley/Weber progressive manifold.
Some good pics here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2511580
These pics are of original rajay set ups.

There wouldn’t be a blow off valve necessarily. But a wastegate in the header, below the turbo. Looks more like a bunch of mixed parts.
If your new to turbos. Look at all these pics of blow through and draw through set ups. https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106129
And use that site to ask questions.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

1638 cc?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

now that is a cool set up.
if it works like I think it does...
of course we know where the main intake goes as does all center mounts
then on top of that you'd have the piece that has the round plug in it, plug would be on the bottom.
then IDF carb base on top of that.
then IDF carb on carb base.

ooooor, I bet you could mount a weber 32/36 or 38/38 directly to the section with the round thingy in it.

now you can have your carb ( which ever one you choose) center mounted in a stock location and draw through the carb via the section with the round thing, into the turbo then out the turbo and into the modified main intake plenum!

it'd work just like a 4 barrel turbo adapter I have for V8's, I post a pic..

I also have reference chart for rayjay turbos to tell you what the numbers mean. I'll look that up for you tomorrow.

and the round thingy, I've seen similar things in other turbo carb bases an I believe were some sorta recirculation valve?

and finally, if you do not want this setup, please PM me as I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
1638 cc?

😂 x3 1641 jugs and pistons and one 1600😂 a you pull and pay ,pa 40$ special
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
now that is a cool set up.
if it works like I think it does...
of course we know where the main intake goes as does all center mounts
then on top of that you'd have the piece that has the round plug in it, plug would be on the bottom.
then IDF carb base on top of that.
then IDF carb on carb base.

ooooor, I bet you could mount a weber 32/36 or 38/38 directly to the section with the round thingy in it.

now you can have your carb ( which ever one you choose) center mounted in a stock location and draw through the carb via the section with the round thing, into the turbo then out the turbo and into the modified main intake plenum!
it'd work just like a 4 barrel turbo adapter I have for V8's, I post a pic..

I also have reference chart for rayjay turbos to tell you what the numbers mean. I'll look that up for you tomorrow.

and the round thingy, I've seen similar things in other turbo carb bases an I believe were some sorta recirculation valve?

and finally, if you do not want this setup, please PM me as I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. Thank you for the help, but if it’s not too much to ask could you drawl a kids sketch, I think I’m following I’m gonna upload a quick sketch to see if we are going n the same wake length

Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Something like this ? The best I could come up with haha.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

I guess that concept works, but there are better ways to do it. Use the turbo if it’s good and get rid of almost everything else. JMO
Wouldn’t it be hard to tune with carb acting like a vacuum leak? I googled and couldn’t find anything on this style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

I looked the pictures over several times trying to make heads or tails out of it and to me it just does not look like a very workable system. It certainly is not a stock Rajay kit!

I am with NJ John here, keep the turbo and totally rethink the rest of it.

The Rayjay I bought and used had seals so draw through was not an issue at all. I did not use any type of restrictor in the oiling system. Match the oil line to the turbo oil inlet size and make sure the outlet is at least 3 times that size and has no fluid traps in it and you will be golden.

Check the numbers on the turbo and make sure it is a good match for your engine size. I did not use a waste gate on my system, just kept the engine RPMs down to under 5000 rpm and it maxed out at about 15 psi. Again this is a size matching thing between the turbo and the engine. It's a compromise between how soon the boost comes on and maximum boost at your chosen top RPM.

Or find and use a waste gate. A blow off valve on the intake side is ok for a blow through system IF it is upstream of the carb but don't use one on a draw through as it will fill the engine compartment with an explosive mix when it goes off!
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Looked up the model numbers from turbo it’s a 1400cc-1700cc turbo HSG is only 0.25. The kits was originally designed for draw thru I assume, blow thru would create extra work involving waste gate and a FI system. For a stock engine and just wanting the little turbo and the cool factor. I think I’m gonna run it as a drawl thru system. Utilize some of the parts and housing and ditch the rest. Oil feed to pressure sensor for supply and return. Run a single barrel carb. Any advice would be appreciated. Where could I place the BOV ? And can I place the carb like everyone else on the intake side of turbo. Thanks for all the replies have little turbo knowledge. everyone.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

I sent you a PM.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Edit......My apologies...I was looking at Richards's pics and saw the same setup on Google.... his is for a V-8.
Your's looks like an adaption to a VW but that turbo is in my opinion too big for a 1600 size VW.
I haven't held it in my hand but as I said below if the inlet is bigger than 1.5 inch it's probably too big for an 1600. Draw through is a little different but it still depends on what you expect out of it.

From a quick "Vintage RayJay Turbo" search on Google I came across a couple pics of that intake setup.
That seems to fit a V-8 Intake and allow it to be a draw thru setup.
Looking at the numbers on the tag it is a 40 size turbo and more than likely sized for that V-8 and not a VW.
Vw engines used the 25 sized turbo. I'm not up on the numbers used but miniman82 used to be on this site and has a fair amount of experience with those turbos. He could rebuild or mix and match to make a turbo work.

That turbo I'm fairly sure would be way too big for a 1600 sized VW engine. In my experience any turbo with a compressor inlet much larger than 1.5 to 1.75 inches has too big a compressor and/or turbine to make boost at a reasonable rpm level.

About all you can use on that kit is the turbo itself and to be honest there are much better turbo choices to use that will be cheaper and better performing.

The question is whether you want to go blow thru or draw thru.....each has advantages or disadvantages.

Since you will be the engineer and the mechanic it will be up to you to make the choice.

There are very few actual bolt on kits that will work out of the box.......

The biggest issue is boost creep......since it is an addiction and you will do anything to get more boost........

I'm at 26 lbs and it still isn't enough........ Rolling Eyes Sad Cool

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

no, those drawings are bassackwards..
that would be a "blow by " system as the turbo is blowing boost right by the carb. that is the concept of how a paint gun works though, heh heh!

and the first number, 3, is the size of the rayjay turbo which can be a little big for a 1600 but that also depends on the AR's.you can have 2 turbos with identical size inducers but one with a compressor AR of .49 and the other 1.0 and the 1st might spool at 2500rpm and the second with a 1.0 AR not spool until 6000. and then there's also the turbines AR to take into consideration too.
I've run size 3 rayjay on 1600 to 2276. granted, 2276 spools boost way sooner than the 1600 , but usable on both. definitely not big enough for a V8 unless your only planning to run 4lbs of boost.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Looks like a V-8 intake to me.......

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...aw%26r%3D0

Here is another.....

Who knows how much boost they ran.....

This one is kind of cool too...... Turbo looks like it's big enough to make some power.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...amp;sim=11

Back to the VW.....it could make a nice vintage turbo setup if you had a bug in nice shape and wanted something different to show off.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Jeffygonewild31 wrote:
Looked up the model numbers from turbo it’s a 1400cc-1700cc turbo HSG is only 0.25. The kits was originally designed for draw thru I assume, blow thru would create extra work involving waste gate and a FI system.

Is that taking into account the compressor and turbine housing sizes? If so you are good to go.

Blow through can be done with a carb too but the carb needs to be modified.
Jeffygonewild31 wrote:
For a stock engine and just wanting the little turbo and the cool factor. I think I’m gonna run it as a draw thru system. Utilize some of the parts and housing and ditch the rest. Oil feed to pressure sensor for supply and return.

You will get more than the "cool factor" if it is set up and tuned right. Nothing else gives you the same dollar/hp kick in the pants that a turbo gives!

Yes you can feed it from a tee in the oil pressure sensor port but you will need a better place to dump the return oil. It will be mixed with air and the consistency of whipped cream so needs a larger hose, fittings and place to drain back. And it must drain back at a point higher than the normal oil level.
Jeffygonewild31 wrote:
Run a single barrel carb. Any advice would be appreciated.

A single barrel carb is the simplest route to go and for a mild setup is all you need. The stock one will work but a side draught carb (SU, Mikuni, Weber DCOE, etc.) will give you a more compact installation and allow you to get the carb as close as possible to the turbo inlet. This helps with fuel pooling and carb icing issues.

Remember that no matter what carb you use, even the stock one, you will need to monitor the mixture closely and re-jet accordingly.

Jeffygonewild31 wrote:
Where could I place the BOV ?

You never ever use a blow off valve on a draw through installation! It goes between the turbo and the intake on the pressure side and will discharge a raw fuel and air mix. A perfect formula for explosions and fire!

A blow off valve can only be used on blow through carb or FI systems where it is placed in a position that insures that only access air is discharged. As in ahead of where the fuel is added.

If you need boost pressure control on a draw through system it will have to be a waste gate on the exhaust side.
Jeffygonewild31 wrote:
And can I place the carb like everyone else on the intake side of turbo. Thanks for all the replies have little turbo knowledge. everyone.

Yes that is how a draw through system is set up.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Looks like a V-8 intake to me.......

Here is another.....

Who knows how much boost they ran.....

This one is kind of cool too...... Turbo looks like it's big enough to make some power.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...amp;sim=11

Back to the VW.....it could make a nice vintage turbo setup if you had a bug in nice shape and wanted something different to show off.

Last edited by NJ John on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Wanted to strap it on here. Even if it pulls 4lbs. But have no idea how to even run piping, I can weld. And fab just don’t know enough about turbos, and turbos on a carb’d aircooled vw haha
Jeffygonewild31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
no, those drawings are bassackwards..
that would be a "blow by " system as the turbo is blowing boost right by the carb. that is the concept of how a paint gun works though, heh heh!

and the first number, 3, is the size of the rayjay turbo which can be a little big for a 1600 but that also depends on the AR's.you can have 2 turbos with identical size inducers but one with a compressor AR of .49 and the other 1.0 and the 1st might spool at 2500rpm and the second with a 1.0 AR not spool until 6000. and then there's also the turbines AR to take into consideration too.
I've run size 3 rayjay on 1600 to 2276. granted, 2276 spools boost way sooner than the 1600 , but usable on both. definitely not big enough for a V8 unless your only planning to run 4lbs of boost.

So if I would place this on my 1600. Just as a learning curve or visual effect. How would I do it.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

From what I hear a K04 turbo off a new beetle or Jetta is the way to go on a near stock size engine. Insta-boost. They are physically tiny when placed next to the turbo you have. You can get one on Amazon for $100 to $150. And clonebug can explain some on blowing it into a solex carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: