Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunohod1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

Hey folks, I got a bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the sticky starter:

For some reason it stuck, knocking on it a little bit help. But I tired going under the bus and knocking on it Smile Once you turn the key, you pretty much good for the rest of the day. The next morning the same routine - jump under the bus, knock, and so on.

Seems like stuck solenoid. Starter looks new, but probably Chinese. I made few pics.

I'm planning to clean this up, but I'm wondering if it's possible without removing the wheel. Is it only two screws that hold it?

I live in apartment building, and don't have my own shop. So don't have anything to lift it with. Also, ideally not planning to collect stuff. So highly interested in replacing (cleaning) starter without lifting the bus.

If it's not possible, what would be my minimalistic and safe setup? Some kind of tool(s) to lift up the bus, and at the same time use safety jack? I'm very careful about picking tools, so if I'm buying them, I'm buying them for life. What would be the right set of tools to lift up the bus and do some work underneath?

(assuming I have all the wrenches I need)

Also, any advice about started removal and putting it back is highly appreciated!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

Remove lower nut from the underside of the bus. The top bolt goes through the firewall into the engine compartment. You take the nut off from the engine compartment and pull the specialty bolt out from under the bus. Disconnect battery before you R&R starter.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

If you're small enough and somewhat agile, it is certainly possible to crawl under a bus to replace the starter.

Another option for a few inches of room is pulling the right side of the Bus up onto a curb.

I hope you mean jack STAND not just a jack for safety. Getting under a vehicle supported only by a jack (of any kind) is not safe at all. You need to have a jack STAND holding the Bus up.

Ramps are a good safe option for raising a vehicle, and they're likely lighter if you're carrying your tools up and down sets of stairs at the apartment building, but they are bulky and a little less versatile, i.e. you can't really remove a tire using them. But when all you need to do is make the vehicle higher, they are more convenient.

A jack and STANDS is more versatile but sometimes less convenient and possibly heavier to lug up and down stairs. Probably takes up a bit less storage room in the apartment.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

X2 on running one side of the bus up on the curb, or jack it up and lay the spare tire under the RR wheel, then let the bus down on that.

There's some funny wiring going on under there, that red cable going to the battery terminal on the starter looks awful thin, unless it's a power supply for a relay mounted elsewhere it may be the cause of your lazy starter.

Disconnect the battery before performing any starter work, big sparks and fires can result if you don't.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

lunohod1 wrote:
Hey folks, I got a bus:

Also, ideally not planning to collect stuff.

Good. Luck. Laughing

--

John Muir lists all the tools you'll need in his Phase I kit in the "How to keep your VW alive for the compleat idiot" book.

--

Here's a great thread on testing and troubleshooting WHY starters don't work. There are two main faults: motor or solenoid, and the two are only occasionally related.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581254
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

If you can fit behind the steering wheel, you can crawl under the bus to change the starter. VW really gave some thought to it when they engineered the ergonomics on these things.
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If you're small enough and somewhat agile, it is certainly possible to crawl under a bus to replace the starter.

Or just desperate enough .. at 52 years old, 6 feet tall and 220 lbs I did it in a Missouri state park 2000 miles from home. Not the most fun I've ever had but i got it done..

(Thanks again to the campers who spent a morning driving me to and from the Napa over an hour away)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

I've swapped a starter once in a parking lot when I was 30ish and a lot thinner. It was 110F outside, hardest part was waiting for the pavement to cool before I could slide under it. Pull one battery cable off first. That doesn't look like any VW bus starter I have seen.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

It's doable. You will want to have organized tools in arm reach, as weasling in and out to get the right wrench is.....tedious, to put it nicely.
With such a spanking clean starter, see if the starter bushing is as clean. Often they don't get changed as they should and cause issues.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I've swapped a starter once in a parking lot when I was 30ish and a lot thinner. It was 110F outside, hardest part was waiting for the pavement to cool before I could slide under it. Pull one battery cable off first. That doesn't look like any VW bus starter I have seen.

I noticed that too. Strange bolt amd clamp arrangement.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

There are several other things to check before you replace that starter and have the same issue. You need to find the root cause of the problem and not start throwing parts at it. That looks like the high torque starters sold in the aftermarket, most made by Denso.

Start checking connections, battery cables, ignition switch, grounds and do voltage drop checks along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

The starter looks different because it is.
It is one of the hi-torque starters. They share a fit with one of the japanese cars (I can't recall which any more), they are somewhat cheap and usually last a long time. I've been using one since 2007 or so on my TIV. They also spin the motor a lot faster on startup then the stock starters, and weigh a good bit less.

Its pretty common to put a starter relay in there too, which would explain the thin wire. But even so, that wire does seem pretty thin for the application.

Zach
lunohod1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

So folks. Yesterday I had the trouble of starting the bus (not a surprise, cos it's the same every day in the morning). I jumped under the bus, knocked the starter a few times with a wooden stick. Bus started. The same routine.

Then I took off the starter, and cleaned this up. I put this on, and it was okay for the rest of the day. Today I tried to start the bus again, and after cleaning the starter it's the same thing - I can't start the bus in the morning!!! So upset, don't know what to do now.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

Can't help you much on the starter other than we have had over 10 years of good service from a hot start relay.
Just wait until you start asking about that center mount Progressive.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

Did you fix your battery ground strap yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

X2 on the battery cable.
Every one of those starters I've had sticking, or going click when you turn the key has a dirty solenoid plunger, or super pitted contacts in the solenoid.

Take that cover with the 3 hex headed screws off, all the action goes on under that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

normally a "whack the starter to start problem" is caused by a sticking or worn out solenoid. Adding a hot start relay is like putting a cork in a leaking dam. It will fix the problem for awhile, but the actual problem is still there. If one measures success by not getting wet then putting a cork in the leak will keep you dry... for a while.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starter kaput, is it possible to take off without lifting a bus? Reply with quote

Under the three hex head screws are the high current contacts which are burnt by all the current flowing when the engine starts.

The bit that you are taking photographs of, and have been cleaning around is the bearing for the motor itself.
At the other end, away from the flywheel where the heavy cable goes in will be the brushes for the motor : these could be worn.

What happens is that the initial pull-in of the contactor relay relies on there being a good circuit through the motor : if the brushes of the motor are not making good contact, the whack with the hammer jolts them into making better contact..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: