Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

Hey Friends,

I did some searching around today and didn't necessarily find what i was looking for.

A friend reached out to me about them using my Westy as a photobooth for a wedding. Sounds awesome!

Until you think about it a little more. A buncha sweaty hooligans thrashing around in my van with alcohol taking pics, nothing new. its fine until someone spills or breaks something. then its an issue.

So i guess i would need insurance? or some contract? then i need to figure out how much this would cost them.

I know we all have some pretty sweet vans and that leads us into these types of arrangements.

I thought we could have a thread for sharing tips, and experiences with this type of transaction.

here are some threads with similar things going on;

Have you considered renting out your westy?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716523&highlight=rent

Rent a westy on AirBnB
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584954&highlight=rent

Anyone Rent their Westy? Insurance question...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541911&highlight=rent

cheers friends
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if i was an eagle, i'd dress like a duck
crawl like a lizard and honk like a truck
- Jerome Garcia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

If someone wanted to use a Vanagon for a photo booth, I think they would be better served with an original looking version.

No offence but your rig has;
-SWAT team bumpers.
-A 2-tone paint job.
-Mirrors off a Hummer/tank.
- A roof storage container (vans are perceived great due to their interior storage capacity).
-Aftermarket wheels and tires with the white walls facing out!?.
-A ride height not aggreging with the placement of the fuel fill location.
-It's yellow (or Ivory - L567?) either way not very common.
-A headlamp set up never offered on this Continent.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
If someone wanted to use a Vanagon for a photo booth, I think they would be better served with an original looking version.

id imagine theyd be taking pictures of people inside the van... but anyway...

i went to a wedding a few years ago that had a bay window photo booth. it was fine, people were drunk but not wreaking havoc inside. and there was someone from the rental company nearby hanging out by the van the whole time.

i guess it depends on the general vibe of the attendees Laughing

for what its worth, with enough people in the pictures, its not really immediately obvious that they were taken inside the bus.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread

Last edited by valvecovergasket on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

A friend of mine ran a photo booth business out of her baywindow bus in New Jersey for a while, and there are a few stories of people doing it on the web:

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2018/09/30/greeley-...-business/

Not sure about insurance though. Maybe just Scotch Guard the hell out of the interior beforehand?

I would totally get a kick out of a drunk wedding guest criticizing my mirrors and bumpers for not being original. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:

-SWAT team bumpers.
-A 2-tone paint job.
- A roof storage container (vans are perceived great due to their interior storage capacity).

no offense to you, but no one cares how you feel about my van. this thread is to be informative for future reference on how to go about this scenario. thank you for taking time out of your day to express your feelings.

my friends want to use my van because they like how it looks. and that is their opinion and its all that matters to them on their wedding.

have a nice day

- Jerome Garcia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

You might chat with Jennifer J that has the Photo Bus business in town. She’s local and has been at it a few years with her baywindows.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

The wife and I have rented Bay Window buses from Dixie a couple of times and enjoyed our travels with them.
She no doubt has the same concerns as you about her property, as I have discussed it with her.

Here's the link to her business. Maybe you can get some pointers.

http://www.floridavwrentals.com/
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

The one time I let 'friends' use my van, they closed the pop-top latch onto the tent fabric and punched a hole through it. That was the last time. I find people just want to get inside and play with your 'cool' van and when they break something because they don't know how to use it it's absolutely no skin off their nose.

"Oh well, it's just a junky old van!"

And I would have the screaming horrors letting anyone else drive my van.

"Oh, there was a flashing light on the dash for a while and then it made a weird noise and and a big bang sound and it died. And I think there was some smoke. And it doesn't shift right now either. Here are your keys back, bye!"
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

I think i'm going to be "stationed" at the van for the photo booth. so that should limit what could possibly happen.

The amount of damage they can really do is not substantial at the end of the day. Red Wine is my biggest concern, can't think of anything worse than that but ive been wrong millions of times! Laughing

I have reached out to all the suggested people and i will post their responses. A solution i'm seeing for this situation is bringing on the van as a prop to include on the photographers insurance. However the photographer is my girlfriend so thats not an option available to everyone.

i'm still looking for an answer to this for everyone because i know this happens more than we see on the samba. Especially with all of the #vanlifers growing up and getting married, this will just become more popular

- Jerome Garcia
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

vwlukas wrote:
...Red Wine is my biggest concern, can't think of anything worse than that...

Perhaps you lack sufficient imagination or else have a much higher opinion of your fellow mankind than I do.

BTW - Baking soda and vinegar are useful for cleaning vomit off of fabric. May also be useful for other bodily fluids.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

I guess its all for fun? If the ppl you rent to don't drive it around, or use it as a hotel room, sounds fine in my opinion. How much to rent it for? No idea.

When I get to the part of the original post topic "Movies" ... Well, your sweet mods might need to be taken into consideration. Most of the Vanagons I see in recently created movies are 'period correct' retro-grade 'oldies' but there are always new ways of thinking, and new scripts. Especially scripts that have to do with modern events like Descend on Bend, etc. If you get contacted by a movie shooter that needs more than just your bus, give a shout out here. Some of us might have a bus or three that are lurking around for just such an occasion! I'd even have one that could be used in a scene ending in total destruction!

Cheers!!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

In early 2010, a friend of mine sold his Westy to a guy in Idaho. I towed the Van to his uncle's place near Cherokee, North Carolina.

Anyway, when I got to the destination there were at least 6 or 7 Westy's parked here and there in his uncle's yard. His uncle told me that his nephew was buying them up, making them road worthy and renting them out, mostly weekends.

Unfortunately, when Google quit hosting Dishmail, I lost all contact info. So, I have no clue how his venture has played out.
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
vwlukas wrote:
...Red Wine is my biggest concern, can't think of anything worse than that...

Perhaps you lack sufficient imagination or else have a much higher opinion of your fellow mankind than I do.

BTW - Baking soda and vinegar are useful for cleaning vomit off of fabric. May also be useful for other bodily fluids.

ill remember to keep a bucket within reach Laughing

- Jerome Garcia
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it.

For years we had a small house not far from Amish Country.
We could have easily rented it out but we didn't because it is my stuff, I don't want strangers touching it, using it or breaking it!

I find most "public" places to be revolting, I also have a splash of OCD.......
i probably passed up on a lot of airB&B cash. I'm good with that!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
-SWAT team bumpers.
-A 2-tone paint job.

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

You start out with "No offense but" and then continue with offensive language like SWAT Team bumpers, mirrors off a Hummer/tank, etc.

What make the RMW bumpers SWAT? The mirrors are original VW Vanagon, the rims are also original VW Vanagon. (not sure what white walls you're referring to)
So what if they're from Europe or S.A? All "original looking" Vanagons need to be the boring North American version?
I have no idea what "height not aggreging with placement of fuel fill location" is supposed to mean Confused
The front grill is also original VW, so what if it's a S.A. version?
Roof storage is somehow disqualifying? What about the bike rack and awning, are they bad also?
It's yellow? two tone, an uncommon color? So what???

To me it's a very nice looking van and says "adventure!" The happy couple would be lucky to be seen in it.

To the original question. I would be ok with someone using my van for a photo shoot as long as I was there.
As a honeymoon suite? NO WAY. Wink

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

I had a hang out buddy who wanted to borrow my van to crash in after a concert in a dive bar in the sketchy side of town once...
it was an indecent proposal.
he's not my friend any longer..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

As the guard to the gate of Emerald City would say, "Not No Way, Not No How!"

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

I guess this confirms that grumpy, passive/aggressive (the 80's reference should be familiar to you) aren't in the OP's target market. Darn.

1988M5 wrote:

-SWAT team bumpers.
-A 2-tone paint job.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of tin foil hat wearing curmudgeons lately.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Renting Vanagons for events, photos, movies, etc... Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:
Seems like a lot of tin foil hat wearing curmudgeons lately.

I can’t yell at clouds without my tin hat falling off. Lousy kids.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: