Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Here is the situation. Car has a daikin clutch disk and a Kennedy stage 1 PP. Car is primarily used for drag racing (nothing to crazy, does 9.15 in the 1/8th) and the occasional cars and coffee on the weekends.

Last season, after a pass down the strip the clutch didn't feel right. It had to much slop in the pedal. Tightened it up, worked good for another pass. Then it happened again. Tightened a second time, then when testing to ensure it was good, the adjuster (wing nut) snapped off. Chewed up the threads on the end of the cable. We quickly ran through the swap meet and found another cable. Swapped it out, and finished the day.

This season, we started to see the same behavior. Got everything adjusted at home, car was working great. Car lost in round 1 eliminations because we couldn't get it in second gear. Back at the pits, clutch is loose again.

So at this point there appears to be a larger issue somewhere. I haven't pulled the motor to inspect anything yet (other projects in the way). But I am curious if anyone has seen this before and can maybe help point me the right direction before I start pulling it apart.

Some details that may be helpful:

The bowden tube is in place. I haven't measured but has probably 1 - 1.5" of bend. The trans (type 1 swing) is solid mounted front/rear. Has mid mount with the poly pads under the horns.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

I had the exact same parts and the exact same thing happen in my baywindow. I havent pulled it apart yet either.

Then a week ago, another KEP S2 pressure plate, same thing happened in my shorty. Mine made a pop and now the pedal has no feeling. I made it back home without the clutch starting it in gear.

I pulled the engine out, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Everything from the throw out forward is normal. None of the springs on the pressure plate are visibly broken.

I did test the pressure plate and some others in the press with a valve spring tester like Ohio Tom suggests. The S2 KEP had less PSI than a new AA pressure plate, but the 200psi gauge was right at max. I have a new 500psi tester on the way so I can test them again. I am wondering if the springs in the pressure plate are shot and it won't fully engage the clutch now..

Brian
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Did you try a new wing nut with clean threads? I've used a barrel nut to lock my wing nut from backing out in the past.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Sounds like the clutch cable is stretching or has strands that are breaking. Remove the cable, measure its length, then compare that to the length of a new cable.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Clutch tube break free in the tunnel maybe?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

The clutch pedal itself can start to come apart, if it's a late model stamped pedal set.
Has anyone managed to break early forged pedals yet?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Both of mine are in buses, and everything all the way back to the throw out bearing is working good.

Brian
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Clutch tube in tunnel as buguy said... press clutch....pop.....adjust clutch back to normal....press clutch....pop....adjust clutch...

Not a fun repair.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Both of mine are in buses, and everything all the way back to the throw out bearing is working good.

Brian

Clutch tube at the front amd rear can break away from its mount
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

Clutch tube at the front and rear can break away from its mount

Checked them both on both buses. Nice and solid.

Brian
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

check the clutch height when mounted, I killed a couple of the stage 1, not having the correct mounted height

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739472&highlight=what+the+clutch

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Check the pop rivets in the pressure plate
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Broken welds on the throw out arms ?
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Wow, thats a ton of good feedback! Let me address a few of the replies...

KEGZ wrote:
Did you try a new wing nut with clean threads? I've used a barrel nut to lock my wing nut from backing out in the past.

When we swapped the cable the first time, a new wing nut was used.

mukluk wrote:
Sounds like the clutch cable is stretching or has strands that are breaking. Remove the cable, measure its length, then compare that to the length of a new cable.

This is for sure feasible. Something I was planning to check once I started digging in. Although I would hope not considering the cable is new with a handful of passes on the track and probably < 100 street miles.

buguy wrote:
Clutch tube break free in the tunnel maybe?

This is more than likely the culprit although I'm really hoping its not the case.

modok wrote:
The clutch pedal itself can start to come apart, if it's a late model stamped pedal set.
Has anyone managed to break early forged pedals yet?

The clutch pedal itself is one of the "big boy" pedals. As can be seen here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340666. Not to say this isn't a potential problem, something to investigate for sure.

Wreck wrote:
Broken welds on the throw out arms ?

Yeah, another area I was planning to check once the motor is pulled out.

Might be a bit before I get to the bottom of this but i'll post back what I find when I find it. Appreciate the replies guys.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

The pedal itself could be cracked; happened on both my 1970 and 1971 VWs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Danny604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my beetle when I first put it together. I mismatched the pressure plate and TO bearing. The pressure plate only had the fingers but no collar for the TO bearing to contact, it wore the end of the fingers and I had to constantly adjust it, until one day it failed.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Frame horns can bend in drag racing, effecting the cable also.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Frame horns can bend in drag racing, effecting the cable also.

Yes. I had a missing bolt in the nose cone mount. The trans-axle wasn't parallel to the frame horns and thus caused the clutch to pop and slip.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

check that the bowden tube is not collapsing internally, it also shows the same symptoms when it happens
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch keeps falling out of adjustment - Ideas? Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow up on this in case its useful to anyone in the future.

The clutch tube was broken off, under the rear seat. Welded this back up, problem persisted.

Pulled the motor and found the throw out bearing clip broke. The bearing was no longer centered on the PP. The PP is now junk, its dented and spring pressure is no longer even (its pulled in on one side).

I suspect the tube is the main culprit and everything else suffered as a result. We probably made matters worse scrambling at the track and tightening it up. In any case, new parts on order and should be back in business this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: