Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69mm crank type 4 main jounals
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Would it be worth a 69.5mm crank with type 4 main bearings ..what do guys think .....
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Yes, it would be a good idea if your engine was a 12,000-rpm engine. Seriously there is no need for that in a 69mm crank. T4 mains are added to recover the cranks strength lost when adding more stroke to a crank.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Depends on what you're doing with it. But 411 center should more than suffice
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother unless I happened to find the parts already modified for sale cheap or something.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I wouldn't bother unless I happened to find the parts already modified for sale cheap or something.

Why do you say that? It's very inexpensive to have the 411 center done through DPR.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

that's just the case there's a local older gentleman maybe in his late 70s I meet at a parking lot since i ran into him driving his 60 vw bug/ beetle and asked him if it was for sale he was like this car is probably worth $500 and i was like ok sold he started laughing and he was like this was my first car i learned to drive stick and the only car i know how to drive since i never had another car and he was like if i sold it i couldnt get around to the liquior store to buy my beer ...and so we were talking for a bit i gave him my number just incase he wanted to sell is car well i ran in to him a few times after that and one day he was like i dont live far you wanna drive through to see what vw parts i have so i jumped on it and went he had a mess of stuff and didnt really have much vw parts besides 6volt generators... and I seen a the crank with a tag that said 69.mm type 4 mains ... I was just curious about it ....since I seen it in his stash of other parts/ junk but he wasn't willing to let go...so i bought the generators and he says i can know go buy my beer lol so i was like ohh so thats why i got called he needed a quick sell to buy his beer lol but it was an experience for me so i didnt mine ...most likely he would never use that crank you could tell its been sitting on that floor for years ...but I was just curious and I haven't heard anybody with that spec I know the big cranks would benefit from type4 main jounals do to the fact it helps the crank from flexing ...I just think they did that to that 69.mm just to make it stronger /billet proof maybe???
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Why do you say that? It's very inexpensive to have the 411 center done through DPR.

Well maybe if you live across the street, and don't need to ship your parts back and forth. Then you need the case milled, or the conversion bearing.

But as Dan said, if you are building a screamer for autocross or something, it could be worth it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Dauz wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Well maybe if you live across the street, and don't need to ship your parts back and forth. Then you need the case milled, or the conversion bearing.

But as Dan said, if you are building a screamer for autocross or something, it could be worth it.

49bucks ain't expensive for bearings 👇👇

https://scatvw.com/product/type-4-center-main-bearings/
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Geez. You're missing the point.

Dpr center main conversion $115.00
Center bearing $50.00 or same price for the conversion bearing if you can find one in stock.
You'd need the case cut for a standard type 4 bearing. $50.00?
SHIPPING your crank and case both ways $100.00

So $250.00 - $300.00. Extra. For a regular ol 1600, its not worth it. 1600 racing engine, that's a different story. Or, if you happened to find the parts cheap.

If you live in Santa Ana, you can drop your stuff yourself. Most people do not live in Santa Ana.
raymon covey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

If it was not better why would vw use the larger type main on the 1700 cc motor with a 66 stroke and the same on the 2 litre with the 72 stroke. The center main on the type one it the one that wears first. Two rods oil from this main. I think this would be a definite improvement if you are going to purchase a new crank.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Just because the three large mains on a T4 didn’t always mean things worked better. The 66mm stroke crank was a beast, and by far my favorite T4 crank. The 71mm crank… not so much. I don’t like the 71mm 2.0 cranks because they flex like a bug crank at high rpm. In 1972 when they started 2.0 production, they used the existing forging for the 66mm crank, and offset ground the rod journals 2.5mm, and ground them 5mm smaller in diameter to get the longer stroke. Great thinking from a manufacturing standpoint, but weaker like a bug crank… and the large mains didn’t fix that issue.

But in general, I think you are correct. The T4 was introduced at a time when VW was trying to make an engine more competitive with water cooled vehicles of the day. Everything was built heavier and bigger in those engines… until ‘72 when the 2.0 started production. Despite being the most powerful (95-105hp), they went backwards in my opinion.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Nobody is arguing if it's better or not.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Diameter bad, width good!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Jose has video on his dpr facebook of him working on a destroke 50.5mm crankshaft ..I also remember hearing that ..that crank also may of had type 4 mains ... I wonder what that crank / engine was build for ....

Last edited by [email protected] on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

50.5 mm VW crank? That would be interesting. I've thought of that before if you wanted a high rpm formula racing engine. You'd need to have pretty good valve control, then zip around the track turning 8-10k rpms lol.

I bet it would sound insane.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69mm crank type 4 main jounals Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
50.5 mm VW crank? That would be interesting. I've thought of that before if you wanted a high rpm formula racing engine. You'd need to have pretty good valve control, then zip around the track turning 8-10k rpms lol.

I bet it would sound insane.

He has 2 videos of that 50.5 crank just scroll down and you will find them 👇👇

https://www.facebook.com/DPRMachineShop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: