Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Psi spring pressure conversion in kg
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have a Proform valve spring pressure tester which is scaled in PSI and Kg/cm2.

Testing my Oteva 75 SC dual springs I find 100 PSI at installed height and 300 PSI at full lift. The equivalent in Kg/cm2 is 10 and 21.

I’d like to compare these value with the specs on Logmech’s website but the spring are rated in kg there.

How can PSI or Kg/cm2 be converted to Kg?

Thanks,

Phil
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

The gauge reads hydraulic pressure.
I assume it is connected to a hydraulic cylinder

If the piston has an area of 1 square inch, then PSI scale reads pounds
If the piston has an area of 1 square CM, then it the kg/cm scale reads kilograms
It could be any other size too.
piston area X pressure=force.
Hopefully you can figure it out by measuring the hydraulic cylinder or reading the instructions.

That's the long answer.
Short answer is we assume the thing reads pounds, convert pounds to KG with google.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

Hi Modok,

This is the tool. Nothing sophisticated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The gauge reads hydraulic pressure.
I assume it is connected to a hydraulic cylinder

If the piston has an area of 1 square inch, then PSI scale reads pounds
If the piston has an area of 1 square CM, then it the kg/cm scale reads kilograms
It could be any other size too.
piston area X pressure=force.
Hopefully you can figure it out by measuring the hydraulic cylinder or reading the instructions.

That's the long answer.
Short answer is we assume the thing reads pounds, convert pounds to KG with google.

^^^This^^^

There is no such thing as a direct conversion from pressure units to weight units. Two different worlds. Like Modoc says you will have to measure that cylinder area and do the math. Maybe it is already done for you by the manufacturer of that unit?

Put a bathroom scale under it and put some weight on. If they both read the same you can ignore the PSI and read it directly as pounds. I used to work in a shop where we set up weight gauges for rigs. We measured the cylinders, chose a gauge bourdon tube and gauge face plate appropriate to the load expected. Then we calibrated the gauge so that it was a direct weight reading. We would scratch off the unit designation a write in the new one, kg, pounds, tons etc. Then we did up a calibration sheet for the regulatory bodies involved.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

Not sure if this piece of software is any help, but I find it useful in many different situations....

https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

The bore is exactly 1 square inch. So that a standard pressure gage PSI= Lbs force.
So convert using the PSI reading as Lbs and convert from there.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

I was going to say....
Nice of them to save you a few $ by using a regular pressure gauge, instead of a custom face with the correct units.
But they DID spend enough money to get their logo on the gauge face
??? Think d'oh!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I was going to say....
Nice of them to save you a few $ by using a regular pressure gauge, instead of a custom face with the correct units.
But they DID spend enough money to get their logo on the gauge face
??? Think d'oh!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Psi spring pressure conversion in kg Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks Tom, you are right => measured 300 LBS over the nose at 25.05mm = 136kg on my engine and on Logmech's site they rate the Oteva 75SC duals at 140kg @25.4 mm. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: