Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

I'm working on a 1972 Westfalia camper ,I have a few dillemas/questions . 1.] much of the lettering has either been worn/rubbed off the little aluminum Westfalia badges on the passenger side below door .I'm assuming this would assist in I.D'ing this unit ? [can I get replacements/ is there alternative I.D locations ? ] 2.] I cant seem to find info on floor plan layout or appliance options or if there were different levels offered i.e did some come with waste holding tanks /location of propane tanks etc . In particular ,my bus has No propane tank , P.O had stove hooked to 1 lb bottle ,nor does it have a graywater tank ? Also , for the life of me I cant find info on what looks like a gas furnace to the very right most position behind drivers { RHD } side seat , It appears some components are AWOL,including the furnace cabinet ? front door ? I will try to get pix , but bus is in shop now... Did some have dual batteries etc,and the list goes on ...I really have a lot to learn about VDubz, and westies in particular ...Thanks in advance to all of you who share your knowledge ...!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

The M code plate will have the model of interior on it if it was done as part of the buses build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138499
Or you could post a bunch of clear pictures and we can tell you what model it is as well as identify the equipment: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Or you could look around here and see if you can spot anything similar in the brochures: https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/de.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info , I am going to get the M code #'s and some pics ASAP , meanwhile I will check out the links you sent ...
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Here are the " M " codes on 72 Bus

22 152 571

507 518

992651 A02 P31 027 172

13 4 7518 UF 2319 41

I started to decipher these ...still trying to get pix to I.D. furnace ?
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

I'm a little confused on your initial question, but I'm guessing you just want to know what the layout of your Westfalia is?

From your description of what you have, it doesn't sound original. A 72 Westy had no propane tank, no stove, and really only had a manual pump sink with an icebox, that's it. I second that pictures would help, since most likely you have a different interior fitted.

As for the M plate, here is a link to the website with all the info

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=51020

But from what I see, you would've had the standard SO 70/2 interior, which you can google pictures of, or simply consult any listing for a 72 Bus

For example, this gorgeous yellow 72 has the same interior yours probably did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2493995

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

I understand it is a little confusing ...I was trying to find info on different camping packages that may have been available.I also really want to know what the heater looking unit on the right is and manufactured by whom so I can learn how it works . My bus has sink, fresh H 2 O tank , 2 stove top burners ? ,fridge/cooler ? and some sort of heater unit on the right of drawers/tank etc . right behind drivers seat [RHD ],looks like I'm missing the cabinet ? door . So the 72 never had propane tanks ? and No gray water holding tank ?? according to the way I decipher it the AO2,or P31 translated as a original camper setup ... I'm going to try and get pix asap .I haven't gone thru the interior thoroughly ,as I'm dealing with engine /body projects now .Thanks for the help ...
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Thats a nice yellow bus...but no , mine is a 72 pop top Westy , all cabinets along Left hand side , full bed , power in/con/verter ? I need to send pix , but the more time I spend down the rabbit hole ,the less time I can wax on,wax off aka Waxxing off doesnt get my bus movin haha ...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
I understand it is a little confusing ...I was trying to find info on different camping packages that may have been available.I also really want to know what the heater looking unit on the right is and manufactured by whom so I can learn how it works . My bus has sink, fresh H 2 O tank , 2 stove top burners ? ,fridge/cooler ? and some sort of heater unit on the right of drawers/tank etc . right behind drivers seat [RHD ],looks like I'm missing the cabinet ? door . So the 72 never had propane tanks ? and No gray water holding tank ?? according to the way I decipher it the AO2,or P31 translated as a original camper setup ... I'm going to try and get pix asap .I haven't gone thru the interior thoroughly ,as I'm dealing with engine /body projects now .Thanks for the help ...

You may not have a Westfalia, but some other brand?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
AO2,or P31 translated as a original camper setup

Yes, so the code P31 designates what's known as a SO 70/2 interior, which was the "model" of the interior and the only one offered as far as I know

Again, all signs seem to point to a conversion to a different interior

Based on your description, it really sounds like you have a late Westfalia interior, as in years 76 to 79, and someone fitted a heater to the spare tire cabinet behind the driver's seat. That's what I'm imagining at least

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
right behind drivers seat [RHD ]

Also, it's a right hand drive car?

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P.O. rubbed Westy I.D. tag ,dunno If I will be able to deciper these .there are more westy tags inside , honestly I dont think this was a converted hack job...Vee Shall Zee Vee Dub ious deception ?
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

OOOPS ,Nix, Nien ,No,No , It's a left hand drive unit ,my apologies . Thats a spare tire well ? " Well raise Mah Rent " ! Perhaps some one has retrofitted later westy pieces in this unit ? doesnt look like it , but if the layout I have is not period correct ,well ...to be continued!
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
Thats a spare tire well ?

Not sure! We need pictures of the interior! Laughing

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

X ray vision not working for me today. Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Okay , here's some pix ,apparently the area that is the spare tire cabinet ? has what appears to be a small camper propane heater W/ external vent . it looks like a decent setup , just not factory install. All the while I thought this was a Westfalia installed heater upgrade , behind what is actually just the spare tire cabinet [ my spare is on the nose ] . This bus has a type 4 engine modification , so now I'm not wondering if P.O. may not have removed some or ALL ? cabinetry from the donor of the same type 4 ? BTW , there are no engine codes on the type 4 engine ,it had a recent rebuild ...imagine that ...this must have been a top secret bus ! Furthermore if you look behind front seat back , It looks like there may have been a component mounted there , or are those marks just from a missing upholstery panel ...I dunno quite yet . I think what I do know due to the " M " codes it is a factory poptop westy of sorts ?If it has been retrofitted ,I actually kinda like it , it's very solid ,and I DON't care for the cabinets blocking the sliding door setup anyway ... We will see how it all plays out , I'm in the process of making things better ,and besides I have taken a real liking to these kool vehicles ... stay tuned

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

A US delivered 72 (like yours) would have come standard with a type 4, those cabinets are a hodge podge of 76+ items, except for that heater, that looks like an American truck camper or travel trailer part.

When it rolled off the boat it looked like the one P4P linked above inside, except yours had a pop top too.

Слава Україні!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

I agree Busdaddy , I actually kind of like it better the way it is .
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Yep, called it, spare tire cabinet and all

That heater looks sketchy as hell, I wonder if it has a brand name?

The glue on the back of the seat was for the upholstery, yeah

Otherwise, yea it's an late interior in an early bus, which is what I'm rocking right now and I love it! Way better then the original interior, more room I find and there's no cabinet blocking your right blind spot. Nice!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

Right P24p1 ! ...I like the cabinetry on the left side WAAAAY better, It looks like the bed and where the inverter is mounted may be original ? and the cabinets swapped ? The heater is externally vented ,kinda looks like one I had in a pop top trailer ...I WILL proceed with caution , but i kinda like the idea , and i think that is a ludicrous place for a ' Tahr ".. I'm going to add a collapsible gray water tank to keep it campground compliant , dunno what I will do for the propane , maybe just rig the 1 lb bottle setup ...
What do you think I should do for the " Stinkin Badges " n the pas. side outer ,below pass. door ? I would like to decipher and/or replace ...If possible .
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 72 T2 Westy appliance options/floorplan/layout questions ? Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:

What do you think I should do for the " Stinkin Badges " n the pas. side outer ,below pass. door ? I would like to decipher and/or replace ...If possible .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614507&highlight=california+tags

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: