Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix? Reply with quote

Wondering if there is a way to restore the EVC interior gray panels to their original color. I'm thinking in terms of washing it with something like Acetone versus painting it. If the only way to restore it is to paint it,.....Is the paint offered by GoWesty the best solution?

Brian in Austin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix? Reply with quote

There have been a few threads about this. I remember one post in particular from Rocky Mountain Campervans that detailed the process, but I can't seem to find it quickly right now. That said, this thread is probably worth a look:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732898
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix? Reply with quote

Quick update since my March 2020 posting:

We have used the van a lot. A ten week trip in 2020. A five month trip in 2021. As such, a lot of usage and a good test how this paint would hold up.

Observation: The paint held up pretty well. Would do again. "High traffic" areas did not fare so well. For example, the top right hand corner of the refrigerator where the pin holds the door shut exhibited some degradation. I took off, painted, and all good again. Another panel scratched when a sharp object hit it.

But remember: I was going from a grey color to black so the chips/scratches would be highly noticeable. Perhaps not so much if you were painting grey over grey.

Summary: Not a perfect solution but acceptable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix? Reply with quote

I have used the SEM product on many plastic, leather and vinyl repairs and refinishes. It is surprisingly durable stuff,....and in my opinion. When properly prepped and applied, the final finish looked like an un painted surface. SEM calls their product, an "Elastomeric Colorant" (translation is: flexible paint i believe).
cwparrott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper interior plastic yellowing, is there a fix? Reply with quote

Yes SEM paint is the way to go. When cleaned and prepped with their cleaner and the pre paint application of "Sandfree" the paint is not just sitting on the surface it becomes part of the plastic. I have used it on most of my interior and it looks awesome

SEM Presidio is the color for my 1995
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: