Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

Hi. I had a shock absorber bolt take a holiday and now have a torn CV boot. Can I simply remove the damaged boot and replace it with a split boot?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

Is there even such a thing for bay CV's?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

I’ve never heard of one but maybe some place like JC Whitney sold them
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

The part looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

There may be something available like that but I've worked on a ton of buses and never seen one in use. The early bugs used a similar boot for swing axle trannys
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

Hmmm...., I've seen them for other cars, but not for a bus, never used one. Myself I wrap it in a baggie and zip tie it until I can take it apart and fix it properly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

The whole reason for the existence of the split boot on swing axle cars is because it's a real fuckin job to replace the swing axle boot with a non-split one, I mean step 1 is take transmission out.

For a CV boot, it's easy, you pop the axle out, pop the joint off that end, put the new boot on, grease & go. It's messy but easy. Not worth doing a split boot in my opinion.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

If they were not repacked about 3000 miles ago, I might agree. FWIW, I have the repair boot on my shelf (it was planned for a car I no longer have). I am not going to repack the joint, just replace the single torn boot in place.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hmmm...., I've seen them for other cars, but not for a bus, never used one. Myself I wrap it in a baggie and zip tie it until I can take it apart and fix it properly.

Right now it has a Duct Tape seal.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

HarryFD wrote:
If they were not repacked about 3000 miles ago, I might agree. FWIW, I have the repair boot on my shelf (it was planned for a car I no longer have). I am not going to repack the joint, just replace the single torn boot in place.

Yeah I don't think you would need to repack the joint (unless some foreign matter got in there through the torn boot), just pull it off the axle, put on new boot, reinstall joint and off you go.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

The split boots on swing-axle cars don't rotate. Asking one to rotate 800rpm on the highway is asking for trouble, in my opinion. Anyone know of an IRS-specific boot besides your old cut up skinny jeans?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

use Saran wrap or equal until you can replace it. If the CV's don't need repacking then doing one CV isn't all that bad.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

Who pulls apart a CV and doesn’t repack it? This isn’t rocket science, it’s a CV and they are not hard to take apart and out back together. There are numerous VW specific videos on YouTube that show you how to do it.

The question you should be asking is, which boots are going to last the longest? Cause the boots out there are total shit and if you use the wrong one you’ll be replacing it in a few hundred miles. Personally I’ve had the best luck with EMPI boots, I’ve had them to 20k before. However I just removed my axles, tore down the CVs, removed my EMPI boots and cleaned everything including the hardware. It took my an hour and a half to do all that. I’m waiting for my new boots to arrive, I going with the OEM Tiguan boots (well they fit damn near every VW from ‘99 on). Part #1K0498201. The Vanagon crowd have given them good reviews and it seems like that is the best way to go.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

I've tried split boots before, the bolt together kind don't work very well. The grease leaks right out.

The solvent weld kind don't work too badly from what I've seen.

But I agree with the other posters. Just pull the joint off the end and install a new boot. It takes like 20 minutes.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

Me, it's 80 minutes to get an axle off, do boots (never pays to do just one Sad)
& get it all back in. So much clean up/prep work involved.

Also no way those split garbage boots are as cheap as decent quality ones.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

The split boot in my tool box was the wrong size. Ended up installing a new Lobro boot. Except for the fiddliness of removing/installing the CV bolts, not hard.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cv Joint Replacement Split Boot Reply with quote

I hope you took the extra time to clean and regrease the CVs why are you had it apart.
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: