Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

[quote="Manfred58sc"]
My local Napa ( burn in hell ) says 50% return rate on non-OE parts. Rock Auto and evil-bay are the last gasp for a OE part more than 10 years old.

Thought I was the only Napa hater . always marking up parts for vintage VW 100%. I got Rockauto & others. Napa can go eat a bag of dix.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

New parts suck! We have a van in at our shop right now for rear brakes. They shake all about. Put a set of drums on, still shake. We got another set and one of them has a weight about 2x1" welded to it. Shakes all about. The O'Reillys guys show up today and we complain about it; "Oh yeah, the drums have been having issues lately." REALLY!?! Had them order another set and making them turn them before they even get dropped off Monday.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

O'Rielly??? That's just a place to drop off used oil and buy shop towels. It was very hard to stop taking customer work. I really like most VW owners and it was fun keeping them on the road for adventures. However the expectations are for quick turn around, regardless of any cautionary tales I present. Then the endless string of excuses as crappy parts blow deadlines. Yup, I dug pretty deep into my stash at the end, problem being those parts can't be replaced- ever.

I also do/did Mopar and that scene is almost as bad. Cams and lifters are so soft that the only real answer is scavenge them out of used blocks. Insane.

I'm sure buggy whip manufacturers were as pissed near the end
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

New van, not a fine classic like ours lol. O'Reilly's is my go to for most parts, I find them better than everyone else myself. I saw a video of a new set of BB Mopar aluminum heads from Edelbrock on Youtube and the thing was full of little bits of aluminum. You have to take apart those "bolt on" heads to clean the manufacturing remnants Confused
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

I like watching video's of third world mechanics, they have the work-around skills we will need to learn. Nigeria has an entire used parts city in Lagos with 1000's of cars and many. many mechanics figuring out how to by-pass computers. Hey its all OE!!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I like watching video's of third world mechanics, they have the work-around skills we will need to learn. Nigeria has an entire used parts city in Lagos with 1000's of cars and many. many mechanics figuring out how to by-pass computers. Hey its all OE!!!

Ukraine and VietNam are two places where the people could go to the Moon on monkeybfarts, ass kale, and bat droppings.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

what were the specific components that caused it?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

pull master, swap for another (Brazilian) pedal much better, but far from good.

i present to you shitty wheel cylinders

hahahaha

67ctbug wrote:
The O'Reillys guys show up today....

going to them, autozone, advance auto parts etc is like saying "here, take my money and give me a box of problems please"

i look at those places like a junk yard, just enough shit to get me home but wouldn't trust it long term.

napa brakes have been decent. everything else is dealer or ATE/Brembo or Akebono depending on what i'm doing. dealer only on pads for euros, everything else sings like a garbage truck

i even commented on this guys video, who...by the way i have a hard time taking him seriously buying low end parts for the shit he works on at his shop. every one of his latest videos have been bitching about parts quality, and all of his issues are self-inflicted by continuing to purchase low end junk

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Yeah a lot of the cheap auto part store stuff is absolute trash. A lot of the time, dealer parts are cheaper! That UTG is a bit ridiculous sometimes. Like you’re working on a Hemi or a drag car, don’t get the trash at AutoZone.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
This is why I stopped taking in customer work. Even telling the customer I had no time line or guarantee on any work I do up front led to hard feelings. Plus I get to baby sit their car for months trying to sort out issues and find parts. I have sought, bought, and horded brake parts for the last 10 years and I have just enough to keep my cars on the road till the e-car take over.

My local Napa ( burn in hell ) says 50% return rate on non-OE parts. Rock Auto and evil-bay are the last gasp for a OE part more than 10 years old.

The curtain is drawing closed on really driving these cars. they will sit in garages, pissing all fluids on the section of cardboard placed underneath by the owner. It will fire up a few times a year to limp to a grassy field labeled "car show" where fat fucks will exchange war stories on how they used to drive "everywhere".

Sorry to say it...but there is a good amount of realty to this statement......and I have been bitching about here and on the STF....for years.

I am not as bus centric as you guys. I have worked on a fair few but have only owned 1. I am a 411/412 guy.

Where you guys are right now.....with availability and quality of parts....WE 411/412 guys (type 4 peoples)...have been there since about 1985.
They made so few of these cars (relative to buses, type 1's etc.)...that when the 10 year mark hit after last production.....the whole type 4 parts chain just vaporized....except for a handful of engine parts used in type 2 buses and some brake parts also used on 914 and a few other cars.

All else just vaporized. There was not much out there in the first place. Certain items like ball joints were nearly unobtanium in the early 80's. The dealer had no ball joints at all and could not even order them ...by 1985.

The master cylinders have not been manufactured since about 1988. Shocks and strut cartridges ceased all manufacturing in 1999...the last being KYB.

So....what I have been saying is to collect what you need before you need it Find a few cars you like in good shape and stick with them. Restore them.

And quit doing maintenance by the factory and dealer schedule. Shorter oil and tune up changes (the dealers have re-learned this just recently across multiple brands)....quit driving parts until they simply wear out and break.

Stopping a little sooner to refurb or rebuild....can keep something....for example..... like a stock master cylinder running for a century. Don't wait until its rusted and clapped out if its a good OG cylinder. Change your fluid every other year and pull it down at 3-4 years for an hours work and put in new seals and flap valves. The pistons do not contact the bore ....so outside of rust....they will never wear out.

This does not help the current issue of what parts there are ...are shitty.....but your group...bus owners.... is fast approaching where type 4 car...and somewhat...type 3 car...owners have been for a long time.

Another example...the ONLY NEW rear drums available for type 3 and 4 (same drum).....have been Varga...since about 1978. Every fucking one has been warped from that date forward to now....machined out of round and STILL making them that way.

Conserve, rebuild and fabricate better answers to parts that just will not work or cannot be bought if you really plan to drive your cars in the future.

Another example....not far off when my last spare NOS ball joints run out....I will have to fabricate a mount for off-road racing ball joints from a dodge or Chevrolet or never drive again. They are unobtanium save for occasional NOS.

Or....its been roughly 20+ years that I have been having to fabricate my own front strut parts to use a modern strut cartridge.

You guys will be there soon. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Conserve, rebuild and fabricate better answers to parts that just will not work or cannot be bought if you really plan to drive your cars in the future.

let's be real, you will be able to drive these junks forever if your pockets are deep enough. it may take full on chassis conversions. i mean, there are folks doing IRS frames in tri 5 chevys..cars and trucks.

i remember getting into this shit as a kid in the late 80's and it was "oh, fuck cofap, it's junk" fast forward, and people are begging for that stuff again.

we've been on a slow decline for a while, no doubt there. it's just getting harder and harder to justify taking on this kind of work knowing full well no matter what i do, it will never go smoothly.

i mean, nothing is impossible, we can adapt and overcome.... but at what cost?

fuck, even an oil change on a 2015 and up euro is getting close to 200 bux using the proper oil and filter. imho these exotic oils are junk and anything made after about 2012-2015 is a 2 stroke oil burner. i mean ffs, timing chains wearing out at 40-50k?

it's a joke.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

let's be real, you will be able to drive these junks forever if your pockets are deep enough. it may take full on chassis conversions. i mean, there are folks doing IRS frames in tri 5 chevys..cars and trucks.

i remember getting into this shit as a kid in the late 80's and it was "oh, fuck cofap, it's junk" fast forward, and people are begging for that stuff again.

we've been on a slow decline for a while, no doubt there. it's just getting harder and harder to justify taking on this kind of work knowing full well no matter what i do, it will never go smoothly.

i mean, nothing is impossible, we can adapt and overcome.... but at what cost?

fuck, even an oil change on a 2015 and up euro is getting close to 200 bux using the proper oil and filter. imho these exotic oils are junk and anything made after about 2012-2015 is a 2 stroke oil burner. i mean ffs, timing chains wearing out at 40-50k?

it's a joke.

Yep agree.....and what you really mean.....from your point of view... the point of view of someone who works on cars for a living.....is that not far off, the idea of taking a bus or ACVW to a "mechanic"....will be long gone and not affordable.

Unless as you note....you are EITHER flat out rich. Deep pockets and everything you do will go the route of taking your ride to a restoration "expert" and paying whatever it costs no matter what or for how long.....

Or......learning how to do or make anything and everything you need...and doing it all yourself.

I have come to the conclusion that the modern synthetic lubricants.....though they have outstanding anti-friction and detergent qualities that old school oils cannot touch.....they have a whole slew of temperature, shear, scuff and related lifespan qualities.

While they can technically still "lubricate" to 12,000 miles.....they really should not be used.... IMHO....longer than right at 2X the lifespan of dino oils. Too filthy, too hard on rubber seal products and plastics.

I went the shorter oil change route on my 2012 Golf. It turned over 225k miles yesterday.
Same with the modern friction modified transmission oils. They are nothing but pissed out soup by 30k miles. Change them or else.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Or......learning how to do or make anything and everything you need...and doing it all yourself.

if things keep going the way they are, we'll be like cuba in short order

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Been waiting for a muffler from Chrysler for like two months... was supposed to be around on 11/28... nope.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

probably a great place to source parts. theres a shitton of old cars running about down there. the communist calendar says 1967 today

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

I feel for you Don and any other person/shop trying to make a living working on our old VW's using the "new" parts sold today.
It's amazing that Autozone and the other flaps stores selling the bottom of the bottom in parts quality haven't been sued to death. The parts they sell are just garbage to say the least.

Let's face it, to own and drive these 50 year old VW's, you have to be a detective and vet every part you even consider buying. NOS parts, rebuilt/restored original parts are parts that have been clearly checked and vetted are the only choice these days.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Sure, there are a lot of shitty parts out there. But, there are also a lot of good ones too. One needs to do the research and know what to buy before purchasing. A lot less headaches that way.

I understand that Don does this for a living and sees a lot more then the GP does. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t good parts out there.
’65 Deluxe Build
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Sure, there are a lot of shitty parts out there. But, there are also a lot of good ones too. One needs to do the research and know what to buy before purchasing. A lot less headaches that way.

I understand that Don does this for a living and sees a lot more then the GP does. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t good parts out there.

I think you are right....but I think there are not a lot of good STOCK level parts. There are some great high performance aftermarket parts...but stock replacement parts...save for a few.....are less than.

Ray
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Every hour we are in the driveway with our thumb up our behind sorting out a shinola part,Don has to be charging $150 an hour to keep the lights on, while we just miss some rugby for wAnkers on Sunday. Scary shinola for the folks in the business.

I can the whine now “ well it’s on you to source good parts , not the customer”

Shops will just become portals for oil changes, quick strut replacements, KN used oil filter sprays, and brake pad replacements
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Reagan's trickle down theory applies to the Type 1 platform. CB and friends reengineer Porsche and Berg's old tech to be stroker-friendly, and us stock enthusiasts eventually inherit gems like the 69.5mm counterweighted crank and perfectly round/balanced degree pulleys.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

I had a helluva time redoing my rear brakes. Started welding up my old backing plates and thought just get new ones. New ones run because the stamping is slightly different. Didn’t feel like pulling apart good original bearings to fit spacers. I ended up keeping the old pads because they had more meat in them than the new ones. Anti rattle spring pins and keepers needed filing, all kinds of annoying little things that added time. New star adjusters didn’t fit so cleaned up and lubed the originals. I pretty much have accepted that that’s how it goes. If I did this for a living I would lose my mind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: