Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you do about this ATF leak?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

My rebuilt auto transaxle with under 10k miles is leaking ATF from the bellhousing. GTA suggested a few things that it might be and said, "your mechanic can help you out". I passed those suggestions on to my mechanic.

This mechanic is the same one that neglected to reinstall the throttle cable mount on the transaxle when they reinstalled the trans four years ago. He's now telling me, "the ATF level is good and the leak isn't that bad so I would just keep an eye on it".

Well, maybe the ATF level is good because I noticed the leak the very first day it appeared and only drove the van 10 miles further to clean it up, clear the breather vents, and confirm that it was still leaking.

I guess I'm not opposed to taking the van home and driving it some more just to make the leak more obvious but I don't want to risk anything catastrophic happening to the trans. Is there much chance of that?

On the other hand, I already waited a month just to get into the shop and with winter approaching and vacations in the future, I really won't be driving until spring.

Ugh.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

Living with leaks is just stupid.
To be told by a mechanic to live with the oil leaks = a stupid incompetent mechanic!

In my 90 build thread I combated an ATF leak.

I sealed this, I sealed that, I resealed and sealed again.

What I discovered is something that defied logic.

You expect the air currents from forward motion to blow leaks to the rear.

I found that the leaks I THOUGHT were at the front of the oil pan to actually be coming from one of the 13mm hex nuts that hold the transmission to the transfer case!

I also had a leaking large Oring at that seam.

And I had ATF blowing out of the bell housing! Classic torque converter seal leakage which pissed me off because I installed the superior NAPA seal there.

I sealed up my leaks externally with great success. This isn't a technique I normally use but I do plan on rebuilding my spare auto trans and swapping them.

Anyway......... all these words to say that my leaking torque converter seal wasn't the seal at all!
It was the ATF from the large O ring being blown into the bell housing!

Once I sealed that Oring, everything dried up.

The leak presented as a TQ seal, but only seemed that way due to odd wind currents.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

Not everyone has the same priorities or resources. Living with a TC leak carries a certain amount of risk but calling it stupid seems a bit harsh, as is saying the mechanic is incompetent for suggesting it. Repairing a TC leak requires pulling either the engine or the trans, either of which is a lot of work/$ and the risk is actually quite small.

The main downsides to living with a leak are the mess it creates and the potential for the fluid level getting low and damaging the trans. Most often a leak does not dramatically change the rate of fluid loss but sometimes it does. If you check the fluid level routinely you are unlikely (but not guaranteed) to cause any additional damage. I would not personally choose to live with an ATF leak long term because of the mess it makes and the fact that the fluid will mix with dust and that thick coating will grow in the fins of the TC eventually hindering cooling. That typically takes a lot of time, though.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

I just went through the same thing. Shop overfilled the trans, TC seal blew on a brand new GTA rebuild. Made such a mess flinging ATF everywhere.

12 hours of shop time later the seal was replaced. But they overfilled it again, didn’t get it hot before checking. Glad I inspected it first thing when I got home. Got the extra fluid removed and has been dry ever since.

It’s definitely not worth living with the leak, but you can drive it without ruining the trans as long as you are willing to keep checking the ATF level (which is a pain).

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

Living with ongoing leaks is also environmentally irresponsible. Fix that up.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I just went through the same thing. Shop overfilled the trans, TC seal blew on a brand new GTA rebuild. Made such a mess flinging ATF everywhere.

This could be the case here too. Luckily they quoted me only 5 hours to R&R the trans but I would hope they take the extra time to look for other issues once they’re inside.

I’m going to have them do the work and try to make it clear that I WANT to pay for them to take their time and get it right. Although I’m pessimistic since despite always having a handful of Vanagons, Porsches and other Euro cars on the lot, they have about a 70% success rate with my van - hence my “when there’s no more mechanics” thread (and why I also agree with Dave’s assessment).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do about this ATF leak? Reply with quote

If the shop is pulling the trans for a Torque Converter leak.
Have them put in a good seal While they are in there......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Also have them make sure the polished shaft isn't worn or gouged where it meets the seal.

And yes, it is stupid to leak all over the place soiling asphalt parking places with oil. It it a ness!
If it isn't stupid, it sure is rude.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: