Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Rhino case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

Are there any other intricacies I should be aware of. I know I already need to change out the oil pick-up tube for a factory one because it comes in at a angle.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

Check main bearing oil hole alignment, if they are like mine, you'll need to dremel a bit to line them up with the bearing oil feed grooves.

Ensure oil pump is a tight fit in the case, if it slips in like mine, you need to o-ring the pump body so you don't suck air and foam the oil.

Deburr the inside of the case and smooth it a bit so the oil flows back to the sump easier if you decide to take it that far.

I also agree, I swapped my oil sump tube for the late good OEM VW one.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

Make sure to check fit on the pulley you will be using vs the case snout. Depending on pulley size it may seize as clearance is too tight
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

I bought mine back in summer…

Main bearing holes needed adjustment, but every aluminum case i have had does.

Oil pump fit tight and no issues with pulley.

Nice deck surfaces and crank centerline was perfect
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

I had to do some grinding on the outside of the case to get my Gene Berg oil sump to fit.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

Distributor hold down stud was too short for the MSD distributor I am running. There was BARELY enough thread to double-nut it off. However, just double-nutting it didn't work because the shorter stud was loc-tited in.

I ended up carefully putting a torch on the case around the stud to get the case to loosen its grip and then I was able to remove it using the double-nut technique.

This is probably a non-issue if you're planning to use the stock distributor hold-down clamp and not a thicker one like what comes with the MSD distributor.

Ted
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

So far everything has been good, I've checked the oil port alignment and the bearing index pins. I have removed the fuel pump studs(mines electric), and the short one on the case halve because my intake bolts to it(need longer). Right now I'm trying to get the oil pump intake tube to budge as I run a extended pick-up that won't work with the CB pick-up tube.

As far as the oil pump fitment I will deal with it after I get everything assembled.

The crank pulley seems to measure out ok but again I'll deal with that later. Right now my goal is to mock up the motor to check the deck height, CB did not have a std case so I ordered a +3.5mm deck that they had in stock.

I need to drop the case off at the vw place to get the deck cut and cut for a sand-seal.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I had to do some grinding on the outside of the case to get my Gene Berg oil sump to fit.

Same. I had to grind down the big casting flange at the rear of the case so the deep sump would fit flat. That, and opening up the middle main bearing oil port as others have mentioned.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

I ran into a strange issue today, I was mocking up the case/cylinders to see how much deck to remove to get my clearance where I want it. Both 1 + 3 came in at .160" but 2 + 4 came in at .150", do you think that's even possible?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
I ran into a strange issue today, I was mocking up the case/cylinders to see how much deck to remove to get my clearance where I want it. Both 1 + 3 came in at .160" but 2 + 4 came in at .150", do you think that's even possible?

It can very easily, even when they are not really different. What are you using for a deck height tool?

Piston rock, cylinders not torqued down all the way, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

Yes, it was all a loose fit-up, I think I will just try to relax and try to get off my mind for 48hrs. Monday I will take it to the VW machine shop and tell them what I found and how I did it. Right now the plan is to take .100" off the deck and cut it for a SS.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
Yes, it was all a loose fit-up, I think I will just try to relax and try to get off my mind for 48hrs. Monday I will take it to the VW machine shop and tell them what I found and how I did it. Right now the plan is to take .100" off the deck and cut it for a SS.

What is an SS?
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

SS - Sand Seal.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:

when you said a "loose fit up", are you saying your deck height tool was not torqued down fully?

I would not be shaving any off the deck unless everything is installed and deck tool torqued down and taking readings in same spot in middle of piston.

I think the number 1 thing that happens to so many, is they guess deck height to be inaccurate but things are just not set to how they would be as normally built. Even any cylinder shims change under torque and have to be torqued to max torque to be sure they seat 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

By loose I was reffering to the fact that I was just "setting" them on the case, no studs have been installed yet. I was also trying to see if the numbers matched up to what my VW machinist told me to expect from his experience on the CB +3.5mm cases. He's been buying the + cases also since CB is out of the stock deck cases.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

that is not an accurate way to measure clearances of any kind, would you measure for bearing clearances with the case halves just pushed together by hand?. Everything must be torqued to spec. also, make sure you inspect the bottoms of the cylinders where they sit against the case, sometimes they have machining burrs or a VERY slight radius on the seat cut, combined with a very sharp case edge can prevent them the cylinders from seating fully. But thats kind of moot if they're just sitting there with zero torque.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

If it's the mag case version with the plate welded behind #3 check and make sure the case on that side isn't twisted. I had one that was and cost me a case and crank work.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
If it's the mag case version with the plate welded behind #3 check and make sure the case on that side isn't twisted. I had one that was and cost me a case and crank work.

It's brand new Rhino case that doesn't require welding on #3.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1161.htm

I'm replacing a welded/clearanced Rimco case.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
SS - Sand Seal.

Idea Embarassed
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Rhino case Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
By loose I was reffering to the fact that I was just "setting" them on the case, no studs have been installed yet. I was also trying to see if the numbers matched up to what my VW machinist told me to expect from his experience on the CB +3.5mm cases. He's been buying the + cases also since CB is out of the stock deck cases.

Does yours have one side that looks like this:

And another side that looks like this?

I noticed that Autolinea/CB gave one side a adjustment and it matches the crank center line. In other words, they are checking and adjusting the cylinder seating deck before it gets to you, and highly unlikely there are differences between cylinders. Just saying this to highly encourage you to get them done all the same unless you do some careful measuring off crank centerline and find that Autolina truly screwed up, which im doubting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: