Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

I had been on a casual search for my next project since the '63 Deluxe conversion is getting closer to completion, but this one fell right into my lap.

I went to Transporterfest at Brookline, MA in October, sadly without a bus for the first time in 15 years as my son had a Hockey tournament in New Hampshire that weekend. I still was able to make it to the show to see some bus friends.

Not long after getting there I was talking with @burlyhammer when an older gentleman approaches us asking if we'd be interested in an old bus. He showed us some pictures of a a '65 camper. The bus had been in one of his family's buildings in Kansas City since 1981. I was a little skeptical at first but
as we got to talking, it turns own this gentleman lives only a few miles from my house in the same town. We exchanged numbers and later he sent me more pictures of the bus in storage. A week or two after that I met him at his house and he showed me his extensive antique car and motorcycle collection. I was super impressed. We came to terms and his brother was going to transport the bus back to Plymouth. It arrived last week and I just got it to my house today. Here are the first pictures I took of it.
It's one of the most complete original buses I've found. It seems just about every part is there, including all the rare westy bits. It is a very early SO42, Fabrik Nr 0021. It was manufactured on Jan 20, 1965.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

81xxx original miles.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

what a score! Looks fairly dry too. The paint should buff out nicely.

Looking forward to seeing updates.

Please take pictures of the water tank if you pull the ice box out.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
what a score! Looks fairly dry too. The paint should buff out nicely.

Looking forward to seeing updates.

Please take pictures of the water tank if you pull the ice box out.

It's pretty dry. The cargo floor needs some attention the long rocker and short passenger rocker have a few small rust holes but should be easy fixes. This is definitely one of the better condition buses that I've found. This will probably be a preservation as opposed to a full restoration. We plan to use it as it was intended.

My son and I were just going through it and found the toolkit and original jack Shocked

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Definitely a great find and a perfect rustoration candidate.

Post a pic of the mcode plate as well.

Thanks
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Is it a D42? Looks like it possibly had the riveted on tent rail?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Very Cool! Thank you for posting , its long lost bus brother (mine was also finished in Pearl White) My bus came out of Arkansas in the late 80's, wonder what dealership yours originated at? I don't know where mine originated from. Given that our buses are only 7 fabrik numbers and one manufacturing day apart it is very possible that they were at the Westfalia Werke at the same time almost 57 years ago.

Nice score! Did you get the cot brackets for the A and B pillar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Would you mine posting a pic of the complete top of the coldbox when you have a minute? Would be interesting to compare to mine- many thanks.

Also not sure if you have had an so42 before but it is very easy to remove the coldbox cabinet if you want to see what kind of water tank you have. Undo the two catches on either side of the cabinet and the coldbox tube which routes through the floor and it will come out. You might even be able to get away with just the two catches and carefully tip it towards the back of the bus (careful not to chip the laminate!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Is it a D42? Looks like it possibly had the riveted on tent rail?

It's an A42 but it does have holes in the rain gutter like something was previously attached there.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Very Cool! Thank you for posting , its long lost bus brother (mine was also finished in Pearl White) My bus came out of Arkansas in the late 80's, wonder what dealership yours originated at? I don't know where mine originated from. Given that our buses are only 7 fabrik numbers and one manufacturing day apart it is very possible that they were at the Westfalia Werke at the same time almost 57 years ago.

Nice score! Did you get the cot brackets for the A and B pillar?

Mine has a UH Houston export code as well. It's very possible they were side by side at the same dealership. There's a faded dealer badge on the rear hatch.

I curious if yours has one like it?
Also, what do the early cot brackets look like? I couldn't find any pics
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

^^ the mystery continues.. quite likely they were on the same bus. If my bus had a dealer sticker it is long gone. As noted my bus came out of Arkansas when I bought it, don't know where the PO got it from although I suspect somewhere in the Ozarks.

Here is a pic of the cot bracket and hardware. One goes on each A pillar and one each on the B pillar.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

Are my eyes spying 3 weathered parts on the rearward rain gutter where the feet of a wood slat rack may have been?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Im pretty sure i have an extra set of cot brackets.

PM me if you want them and ill send them to you.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

This bus appears to have had a somwhat pampered life. I am impressed by all the door margins and how they look after all these years! The side cargo doors still fit perfectly which indicates no accidents. This is a good find!

Bill
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Here's a close-up of the dealer sticker

It says Gerald, probably this Ft.. Lauderdale dealer: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/geraldvw_ftlauderdale_fl.php

The engine in the bus is a dual port bug engine but the seller included the original 1500. It likely needs a rebuild.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Cool stuff - one more piece of the puzzle! Florida would not be that much of a surprise given that I found mine in Ark. and I think you said yours came out of Missouri perhaps originally from Gerald?

You should get Ev to put that sticker pic in that link you provided
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

I'm on it!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Thanks Ev- unfortunately that dealership seems to have folded up long ago. Did you get any paperwork with the car to give you a better idea of its history?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

There were a bunch of interesting correspondence in the bus when I got it. Some are about the bus, and where/how to find parts. It's been stored in a warehouse since 1981.

I did find the obituary of the last registered owner. He was a WWII vet who taught High School and College in Missouri.

The bus should be drivable soon. It's weird owning a bus that just needs some basic catch-up maintenance to get drivable.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

The condition of the bus is now making sense given that it has been sitting since 1981! Nice score, look fwd to seeing that bus being driven again..
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Wow! Nice time capsule in GREAT condition for the start of your project to get her back on the road! The 21st Westfalia SO-42! I wonder if this is the current youngest SO-42 around anywhere. I see that the Westy I.D. tag is on the bottom of the wall closet cabinet, not the bed base. Is that the way they badged the earliest SO-42's or are there badge holes on the bed base indicating that it was moved at some point?

Order up a new set of Glenn's reproduction SO-42 interior curtains and that Bus will be a wet-dream!

Read up on Westfalia flooring here on theSamba.com to get a subfloor of the correct thickness plywood and linoleum to top it off.

That Campmobile was stored and hidden away across the state of Missouri from me for so many years. Congratulations on your find!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: