Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First engine build 76x92
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Time to build my very own engine

Going in my 58 westy, freeway flier with big nut boxes

AA 92 thick walls, cb 76mm crank, uni tech rods, scat c45 cam, ponchito heads, straight cut gears, dual 40 hpmx's, cb magna spark, vintage speed exhaust, chromoly pushrods, 1:25.1 rockers, stock flywheel, berg achiever stock size pulley, a1 thing type 4 oil cooler shroud, full flowed, modern mexi case

Shooting for 8.5-1 comp, heads will be cleaned up by Mike Fischer
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Will this book be good enough for my build or should I invest in one geared towards hot rod motors?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

I don't think that book is going to cut it. Not sure if the stock doghouse would handle it, I did a 88mm bore and 74 stroke and it cooled fine. Cooling will be better with all that cam could even increase to 9.5cr, I'd probably just run 1.1 Ratio VW rockers, Elephant Feet adjusters and solid rockers shafts with that cam. It's a little too much cam for much power on take off however on the highway it's going to be ok. The Webcam 118 could get by with single HD valve spring and it's range is 1300 RPM to 5500 and 5800 with 1.25 ratio rockers it is plenty high rpm for a bus.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I don't think that book is going to cut it. Not sure if the stock doghouse would handle it, I did a 88mm bore and 74 stroke and it cooled fine. Cooling will be better with more cam.

I'm going to run a type 4 oil cooler along with an external 12 plate with fan and thermostat
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
Time to build my very own engine

Going in my 58 westy, freeway flier with big nut boxes

AA 92 thick walls, cb 76mm crank, uni tech rods, scat c45 cam, ponchito heads, straight cut gears, dual 40 hpmx's, cb magna spark, vintage speed exhaust, chromoly pushrods, 1:25.1 rockers, stock flywheel, berg achiever stock size pulley, a1 thing type 4 oil cooler shroud, full flowed, modern mexi case

Shooting for 8.5-1 comp, heads will be cleaned up by Mike Fischer

2021cc,
121hp @6000rpm,
124.9Ft/LB torque @4500 rpm.

8.5-1:1 CR,
Low octane pump gas,
Idle: unsteady, raise idle rpm.
Valve train rating, street/strip

Same build above at 10.0:1 CR,
129.7hp @ 6000rpm
133..3Ft/LB torque @ 4500rpm

What is the goal of this engine?
Cruiser? Streetlight Mustang killer? Or torquey mountain climber?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

The goal is to cruise comfortably and to be able to climb hills without being bogged down in a fully loaded stock height westy

My previous motor 1915 almost hit that mark
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
The goal is to cruise comfortably and to be able to climb hills without being bogged down in a fully loaded stock height westy

My previous motor 1915 almost hit that mark
Leave the compression where you stated and loose the straight cut gears. They are noisy.
You'll get tired of the whine on a long trip cruise.
They are great at the race track. But for cruising, you'll regret the whine after a month or so.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

For a heavy Bus I'd go with a little smaller C35 cam.

If you're going with an auxiliary oil cool there is no need to spend the extra money on the Type IV stuff. Use a regular type I doghouse cooler & shroud.

No need for straight cut gears.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Sounds like I'll ditch the straight cuts

Figured I'd run them since I have them
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Ya, you don't need the straight cuts. Do some more research on cam choices, educating yourself and making a decision there is one of the most fun aspects of the first build. At least for me it was.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

Main reasoning behind the c45 is its what I already have from my last motor
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

If you use 5.5 rods with the B height pistons, your deck height should be very close to where you want it, maybe a small shim. With 5.4 rods and A Pistons, you will probably need large shims.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: First engine build 76x92 Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
Danwvw wrote:
I don't think that book is going to cut it. Not sure if the stock doghouse would handle it, I did a 88mm bore and 74 stroke and it cooled fine. Cooling will be better with more cam.

I'm going to run a type 4 oil cooler along with an external 12 plate with fan and thermostat

I just had this conversation elsewhere.
- In a split, there is absolutely no idea in doing the type 4 cooler conversion since the engine compartement fights enough for air, so there is nothing to give. Also, when you are doing an external cooler set up anyway, let that take care of the excess temperature. No idea in spending the money twice and get nothing out of it.
Also, while I kinda like the C45, that, and the VS muffler donīt match up that well. My recommendation would be to go 10 dgrees down in duration and get say a FK42 cam, (I would have said Web 163 with 1,25/1,3 rockers, but Web is sadly out of blanks and cant deliver)
OR, chose another muffler that corresponds better with the C45 cam.

Edit. I just realized that Dave beat me to it.
Edit II. Just scanned the thread again. DEFINITELY go down in cam. An FK 42 with 1,25 rockrs will give you about the same behaviure as a Web 218, which is good, and will boost your midrange torque tremeneuly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: