Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi guys, I appreciate this community so much. We have such a wealth of knowledge here, which is invaluable to me because I plan to drive my '84 Vanagon for my whole life.

First and foremost: my Vanagon has never started right up. I always have to give it a little gas, and a lot of the time it takes 2 (sometimes 3) tries.
Secondly: my Vanagon has never idled well. About 30% of the time, the idle will get so low and eventually die. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. I never have running issues unless I try to let idle by itself.
Also: it runs rich. Really rich. It smells horribly of gas and I get terrible gas mileage. Maybe like 11mpg.

Things I've done in attempt to combat this:
-new distributor, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, starter
-check alternator & battery
-got a rebuilt AFM from GoWesty
-new O2 sensor

NOW ... last week I ran out of gas. I didn't realize I was out of gas at the time so I started it back up and forced it to run a little bit further. I had a gallon of gas that was a couple months old and it got me to the gas station.

Ever since this incident, I randomly get some pretty intense hiccups when applying load on the gas. It's like it wants to die, or kick out of gear or something. Especially in 3rd/4th gear, and especially right after shifting into gear. I have never experienced anything like this. It sounds very similar to Vanagon Syndrome https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.phpid=75, but my van is a 1984 and doesn't have Digifant fuel injection.

Things I have done in response:
-install GoWesty's post-fuel filter upgrade kit
-run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner
-fill with premium gas

None of this has made any difference. Sometimes I can drive for 30 minutes without experiencing the hiccuping at all, but other times it's aggressive and scary and makes me want to pull over immediately.

Another important note is that my idling issue is MUCH worse now. It now has issues idling 80-90% of the time and it also is slower to crank and might pause before starting up with a lower rate of successfully starting.

One more note: when I got the van, the previous owner had bypassed the digital idle stabilizer unit by plugging those two wires together. I tried plugging into the unit but no difference was made. So I ordered a replacement, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Ideas to do:
-clean all grounding terminals in the engine
-inspect/replace fuel injectors
-install digital idle stabilizer
-replace fuel pressure regulator

Last edited by Kapish on Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Quit looking for easy options.

Pull your injectors and send them away to be cleaned.
A place called mr injector in Idaho has worked miracles for many of us.

It takes a week, maybe two but worth the wait.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630758&highlight=mr+injector

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

X2 on the injector rebuild including seals, and now is the perfect time to replace the fuel lines.
Cleaning the grounds is always good maintenance.

After running out of gas you have sucked up sediment from the tank so replacing the fuel filters might be a good idea.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Quit looking for easy options.

Pull your injectors and send them away to be cleaned.
A place called mr injector in Idaho has worked miracles for many of us.

It takes a week, maybe two but worth the wait.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630758&highlight=mr+injector

Dave

Thank you so much. I will get on that right away:)
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
X2 on the injector rebuild including seals, and now is the perfect time to replace the fuel lines.

After running out of gas you have sucked up sediment from the tank so replacing the fuel filters might be a good idea.

Great. Thank you my friend. I replaced the fuel filter right next to the pump. Is there any other filter I should know about? Also: the fuel lines. Heard.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

I recently ran my van bone dry while idling a long time while diagnosing ac compressor issues. Next time I came back van wouldn't start. My fuel pump was completely locked. Realize this isn't your issue but perhaps it may be worth a look? Mine failed catastrophically, maybe yours is intermittently failing? Prior to running mine empty my van always started easily.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Kapish wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Great. Thank you my friend. I replaced the fuel filter right next to the pump. Is there any other filter I should know about? Also: the fuel lines. Heard.

It's been awhile since I owned a 2wd but I seem to remember there are two filters on the earlier vans. I believe there is one right after the tank.
Maybe someone can chime in.
Another place to look at for maintenance are the seals on the expansion tanks in the front wheel wells, they dry up and let dirt/moisture in.
If it's never been done these are all part of the fuel system/fuel lines that require replacement over time.
Best of luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Here's a quick solution.

Download the revised edition of the Pro Training Manual.
Reading it will take you longer, but follow the diagnostics and you will probably solve your problems!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725680

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

How do you know when you just need to clean your injectors vs when you need to replace them altogether with brand new ones?
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Here's a quick solution.

Download the revised edition of the Pro Training Manual.
Reading it will take you longer, but follow the diagnostics and you will probably solve your problems!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725680

Cool, this looks like a great step. Thank you. This is my first time dealing with a fuel delivery issue so I'm really getting interested in how the whole system works.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Crud from the bottom of the tank can clog the filter.
Particles floating around in the tank can aggregate in the last gallons clogging the pickup.
I would change the filter, and blow the pipe back through with compressed air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Kapish wrote:
How do you know when you just need to clean your injectors vs when you need to replace them altogether with brand new ones?

As you educate yourself you will find that injectors aren't so much a wear item as they are a soil item.

It has been seen by many that a simple cleaning process restores the original functionality to these injectors.
Can you buy new ones?
Yes but shop wisely for few are really any good.

When you do find good ones, such as Mansi, prepare to pay handsomely for them.

The best value is in having them serviced and cleaned.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Thumbs up for the Mansi injectors if you got the extra $$$. I'm sure my old injectors just needed a good cleaning, but I like the Mansi upgrade.

https://mansispeed.com/products/
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

If you do install new ones, keep the originals.

Send them to be serviced and cleaned.
Someday you can use them when you new ones get soiled.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Also, your in the PNE.... Install a kill switch on the Vanagon as an anti-theft device and develop the habit of using it! Smile

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
I recently ran my van bone dry while idling a long time while diagnosing ac compressor issues. Next time I came back van wouldn't start. My fuel pump was completely locked. Realize this isn't your issue but perhaps it may be worth a look? Mine failed catastrophically, maybe yours is intermittently failing? Prior to running mine empty my van always started easily.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I assumed the pump was something that either worked or didn't work. But I have had the same thought- that maybe it is like slightly damaged... who knows that the sediment sucked up could have done to it..?!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

Fuel is what cools the fuel pump.

If a fuel pump runs dry it is no cooled or lubricated.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

The little square filter pre-pump gave me regular trouble after filling up at a station that was being refilled by a tank truck. I believe that old wive's tale now. No problems since eliminating that filter and going to a big filter post-pump. The 84 fuel tank has a small orifice that Van Cafe offers an adaptor for.
I am considering a mansispeed pre-pump filter, looks like you can clear it on the side of the road,
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
The little square filter pre-pump gave me regular trouble after filling up at a station that was being refilled by a tank truck. I believe that old wive's tale now. No problems since eliminating that filter and going to a big filter post-pump. The 84 fuel tank has a small orifice that Van Cafe offers an adaptor for.
I am considering a mansispeed pre-pump filter, looks like you can clear it on the side of the road,

I believe it too! Definitely going to be filling only with premium at good gas stations now.. https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=93 Tell me why you're considering going back to a pre-pump filter?
Kapish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of Gas- now experiencing stuttering/hiccups Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Fuel is what cools the fuel pump.

If a fuel pump runs dry it is no cooled or lubricated.

Dave

So Dave, do you think it's possible to only slightly damage a fuel pump? And if so, would my symptoms point to that being the case?

I just sent off my injectors to Mr Injector today, so thank you for that reference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: