Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newmanthetiedyebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

I will try to add pic. Having trouble. It looks like a vacuum line that goes into the bottom right air duct. I don’t see anywhere to attach it. Any help would be appreciated.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

There's a few air ducts located on the RH side of a bus, maybe a little more description?, or better yet here's how to post pictures: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Did you ever solve your coil problem?, it's polite to post a resolution (or update) to the problem in the thread it was discussed in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

here is a photo of a typical 1971. From the gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Could be a nonstock vacuum operated hot air door. I’m guessing it’s not a vacuum line.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Newmanthetiedyebus wrote:
1971 1700 bay window

72 model built in late 71?, could be the fuel pump drain hose. Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Part of the tank vent/evap system?
Newmanthetiedyebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

I uploaded a pic. Its a line of some sort that goes into the tin under the valve cover on the passenger side. The manual calls it the bottom right air duct. That might be causing some confusion. It has a finished hole in the forward part of the tin where the line fits nicely. It was in there when I took the tin off. But I don’t think it connects to anything. At least I couldn’t find anything to connect it to??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Fuel pump drain/vent, it just sticks into the hole in the sled tin.

Слава Україні!
Newmanthetiedyebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the comments. Nothing is leaking out of it and performance isn’t affected at all so going to go with vent/drain. And busdaddy yes I fixed the coil issue. Sorry I didn’t give an update. I replaced the coil, points, and condenser and he runs great. Still haven’t got
lights converted to led. It’s a long term project I will continue to play around with.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Man, am I senile. I would have sworn my last carbed By ,a 1972, had the fuel pump in the left side near Number 3
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

Oh my a thermostat! Quick someone take a picture and record it, those things are going extinct!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:
Oh my a thermostat! Quick someone take a picture and record it, those things are going extinct!

...I mean, the picture is right there... Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 1700 bay window. What is line under bottom right air duct? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
P24p1 wrote:

...I mean, the picture is right there... Very Happy

That's a very good point

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: