Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on removing dry rotted window seals?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips on removing old dry rotted window seals without breaking the window? My utility knife seems to struggle to cut that old rubber.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

new blade maybe. Try cutting the inside as it will usually be softer. Make sure someone is there to catch it when you push Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

Last AZ bus I did the outer sides of the seals were absolutely petrified, but the inner lip was still soft enough to cut. Try to cut along the top of the pinchweld, putting the knife down between the glass and seal risks scratching the paint in the window openings, although I'll bet there's a surprise lurking under there anyways.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Last AZ bus I did the outer sides of the seals were absolutely petrified, but the inner lip was still soft enough to cut. Try to cut along the top of the pinchweld, putting the knife down between the glass and seal risks scratching the paint in the window openings, although I'll bet there's a surprise lurking under there anyways.

petrified Is a very accurate description for both the inside and out. What surprise could be lurking in there?

Do you know if any chemicals I can put on it to soften it up?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

I can't think of anything that will soften it without removing paint too, unless you want to wait weeks or months, maybe a heat gun on a smallish area and attack with the knife before it cools?. The inner lip is your best option, expect the paint to be lifted along the bottom horizontal edges of the window opening, if it's a desert bus it may not be too rusty, but count on more work than just cleaning and waxing before putting the windows back in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

I've had good luck with "Contractors Solvent", its citrus based and 4-5 applications with a rag over 2 days softens it up. It won't hurt OG paint, not sure what it does to other paint types. Irwin utility blades are the best.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

Try using a linoleum knife...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-3-4-in-1-Blade-Utility-Knife/1003172494

It has a much stiffer blade and a curve. It's worked well for me.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on removing dry rotted window seals? Reply with quote

I have used a putty knife on the outside to lever the seal away from the glass by slipping the broad blade of the knife between glass and rubber, then leaning it downward. It allowed me to grab the rubber with needle nose pliers and start pulling it outward, breaking it off in chunks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: