Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clogged Jets???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Pretty sure I have clogged idle jets. Bug is misfiring and popping. Checked all plugs and they’re good.

When I spray a short blast of carb cleaner down the throats, the 1-2 side stumbles, but I can give the 3-4 side a longer spray without stumbling at all.

Never had dual 40’s, so does this sound like the jets, or something else? Since it just started.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Those are tell-tale symptoms. Super common. And super easy fix. Just pull the idle jets and blast them with carb cleaner. Reinstall...
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Quote:
When I spray a short blast of carb cleaner down the throats, the 1-2 side stumbles, but I can give the 3-4 side a longer spray without stumbling at all.

If you are getting no reaction from your engine at all with the carb cleaner straight into the engine that tells me you have something other than a carb problem. Sounds like a potential ignition issue. You are basically bypassing the carb when you shoot carb cleaner straight into it so regardless of a clogged jet you should have heard a change in firing.
It looks like you are running a vacuum advance dizzy with no vacuum line attached. That could be your problem right there.
Is this a new problem? Was it running fine and now its misfiring and popping? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

[/quote]It looks like you are running a vacuum advance dizzy with no vacuum line attached. That could be your problem right there.
Is this a new problem? Was it running fine and now its misfiring and popping? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?[/quote]

This is an old picture, everything is hooked up now

It is a new problem, symptom seemed like a fouled plug, so I checked those first, then I messed with the carbs and noticed my problem
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Where in ventura County are you located, I might be close to you, if so I know a little bit about the dual carbs, but does sound like you have another issue on 3 and 4 side other than a carb issue.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Eashc,

you live close to Mcdragracer, cool .

I live in NY 3000 miles away and when I thought was a carb problem after he rebuilt my carbs, he told me to put my phone next to my running engine.

He said I crossed my ignition wires, he was right.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

I did do a double check on my wires, I've crossed them before too.

As is said earlier, all was good then it started misfiring, acting like a fouled plug. Will look at the jets later this week, time permitting.

I sent Mcdragracer a PM looks like we live in the same city
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Great had the same backfiring use through my exhausts. My wife followed me and flames would come out.

His work is amazing, like new carbs. The cars were on my 914 in the 80's then I put them on my bug in 89.

I sent both carbs to Rich and when I got them back the car are great.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

If you take it out for drive does the engine run good at high RPMs? If an idle jet is clogged it will stumble and skip at lower RPMs and then smooth out once it transitions to the main jets…
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
If you take it out for drive does the engine run good at high RPMs? If an idle jet is clogged it will stumble and skip at lower RPMs and then smooth out once it transitions to the main jets…

Yes that is exactly what is happening

Hope to get to it tomorrow
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Has the clogged jet been found?

What I have done in the past is pull the spark plug wires off the distributor
cap while the engine is idling and when there is no drop in RPM, or sound change, that is your culprit jet.

Gotten real easy and quick at it finding the clogged idle jet this way for me. RB
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. Had to go out of town, will be messing with the bug on Monday.

Went for a quick spin today, but nothing magical happen to fix it, still the same
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
Went for a quick spin today, but nothing magical happen to fix it, still the same

Those carb elves are slacking again? Rolling Eyes Fire the lot of them! Evil or Very Mad
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
eashc wrote:

Those carb elves are slacking again? Rolling Eyes Fire the lot of them! Evil or Very Mad

True, I was hoping they would bail me out, No Luck.

So I had to do the work myself. Took a little time. Not sure how others do it but I removed the carb, pulled the jets, sprayed with cleaner, blasted with air, put it all back and it fired right up.

Thanks for all you gave advice.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

What you need now in my view is proper air filtering to prevent this happening over and over. I spotted this shortcoming on my first trip out with my Webers and got the Missus busy sewing up some outers for my air cleaners out of flannelette diaper material. Worked like a charm for 3 seasons now, no plugged jets yet, although the outers need changing often. I have 2 sets and just throw the dirty ones in the wash.

All that fine dust that the air filters let through is not good for the engine either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to all.

Car did great for about 30 miles, then all the popping and misfiring started back up.

Followed "Railboys" advice and found the problem quickly, it was the other carb this time.

Was able to fix that one very fast and its up and running again.

Blessings to all
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

With dual carbs or Weber, I'd use an all-metal fuel filter.

At least you know where to check from now on.

On my 1988 Mazda truck with Weber carb, I had the primary and secondary idle jets clog up occasionally, so I added an all-metal fuel filter after the factory filter, has helped. Maybe that was due to ethanol-containing gasoline being the norm after the truck was made.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged Jets??? Reply with quote

On the up and up I was getting clogged jets all the time.

There is a reason for this, for I went from Stock Carb, to Kadrons, to Dells.

Every step up in performance carb, the jets get smaller. Thus easier to clog for the particulate can not get through, thus causing clogged jet.

So, started with Filters and new rubber fuel lines, then continued so did cleaning of metal tunnel internal fuel line, then since that all did not work out, pulled the tank to see what's up. Yep, did a tank.

What is said is that the Ethonal may be playing a role now in the break down of fuel line. So, what has been recommended is Fuel injection fuel line, and is said to not be as effected by the Ethonal.

See, I did like 3,500 miles with out any issues, then one day got a clogged Idle jet, so that is why the fuel line now is in question. Maybe it is past its life span already?

So, if it happens again, since the fuel line is after the filters hooking up stuff, replace with Fuel Injection Fuel line and to see what's up.

And yes, this was just as of short lately, but since cleaning, things have been fine. And yes if you don't know DRLA's, they have there own filter after the fuel inlet fitting, and there fuel filter is housed behind that. So the question is, was the piece of trash that caused my issue already past the air filter then got into the jet, or did it get even past the Inlet Fuel Filter of the carb, after the last piece of rubber fuel line that attaches to the car letting fuel in?????? RB

p.s. eashc, by the way, I run R2C's for Air Filters. There lets say this, Bad-Ass
and worth there weight in gold. There rewashable for there synthetic and
micron wise, super good. Best part since there not a "paper" element,
water or mists while driving in the rain does not get to them nor
deterioration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: