Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door internal Latch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

83 vanagon. I’ve replaced the handle, delrin bushing but still have play / wiggle in the outside handle. I’m pretty sure it’s the internal latch mechanism the handle bolts through. Any suggestions/ rebuilds/ replacement ideas?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:
83 vanagon. I’ve replaced the handle, delrin bushing but still have play / wiggle in the outside handle. I’m pretty sure it’s the internal latch mechanism the handle bolts through. Any suggestions/ rebuilds/ replacement ideas?

how much wiggle, they all wiggle to some degree. the tolerance on the square shaft insert into the internal latch might be wallowed from a loose handle. do you have both the inner foam gasket and the exterior door seal?

have you read this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228788

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

If it is of any comfort, my 84 has had play (axial, not crosswise) for the past 30 years.

The Delrin bush does help it sit horizontal if that is where I leave it.

IMO, annoying but 'mostly harmless'.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:

You sure you guys the correct delrin bushing?

Not much more left to move/wiggle...

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

theres a seller on ebay, they fit is good. i'm sure the play is in the mechanisim itself. I can see it.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:
theres a seller on ebay, they fit is good. i'm sure the play is in the mechanisim itself. I can see it.

Ok, he does have two versions for early and late doors

Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

Says my year.
81 82 83 1981 1982 1983 gasket lever

You are buying a black Delrin door handle bushing. It fits Volkswagen Vanagon from 1980 to 1984 with the long handle. No longer available from Volkswagen
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

that should be that (unless they shipped the wrong one)

do you have video of movement? Maybe its a expectations issue? Us Sambtistas can chime in on a video.

Also, have you checked with Delrin seller. Likely he's had others buy and did not solve to satisfaction and he may be privy to other problems/solutions that may cause your issue.

Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

I tied to get a video but it says too large or corrupt.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door internal Latch Reply with quote

you will need to upload it to youtube and link us back here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: