Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Anyone use their Chinese diesel heater while actually driving to provide the heat in their Vanagon? Just wondering about the logistics and practicality of this. Especially seeing as I already have the Diesel engine (TDI) and access to the fuel. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

yes if its really cold out until the cabin warms up. Or because its already running and I drive off.
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Yep all the time, until cabin warms up and then I shut it off w/ the remote.
Works great.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I do if its very cold. My diesel doesn’t make much waste heat so the additional heater really helps. I have the intake mounted perpendicular to the airflow so air doesn’t get rammed in. Also my combustion air comes in perpendicular for the same reason. I also have an intake filter because New Mexico winter dust.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Thanks, I live in N. Texas where it doesn't get too cold too often (last February not withstanding) and was thinking about disconnecting the front heater in my Westy and just using a diesel heater. This would eliminate the long heater hoses from the TDI engine and potentially allow it to maintain operating temperature better in Cold weather. obviously there is a problem with defrost to deal with so.... just thinking out loud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
. I have the intake mounted perpendicular to the airflow so air doesn’t get rammed in. Also my combustion air comes in perpendicular for the same reason.

Fwiw, my espar instructions indicate in/out combustion hoses face the rear of the vehicle. Mine so and I drive with it. No issues.

I could see perpendicular across could vacuum the intake.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
. I have the intake mounted perpendicular to the airflow so air doesn’t get rammed in. Also my combustion air comes in perpendicular for the same reason.

Fwiw, my espar instructions indicate in/out combustion hoses face the rear of the vehicle. Mine so and I drive with it. No issues.

I could see perpendicular across could vacuum the intake.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I would keep the front heater to defrost the windshield. Could be very unsafe in certain conditions otherwise. If you do not have the front heater valve open then it has no impact on engine temps.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

just food for thought that the vanagons that came with a factory under floor heater.
it was plumbed into the front heater box.

it would be a bit of work to DIY something similar but it was a factory configuration.

but really in Texas winter, you shouldn't have any real temperature operating issues with the front heater core.
the way the system is (should be) plumbed is that the heater loop has a constant flow.. so it gets all available heated water. and that the T-stat will only open for the radiator chilled coolant if the heater cores return water is too warm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I use mine all the time while driving. It gets hot quick with 3 heaters going /flex
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I had mine plumbed right into my diesel engine tank. No muss, no fuss!
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Thanks, I live in N. Texas where it doesn't get too cold too often (last February not withstanding) and was thinking about disconnecting the front heater in my Westy and just using a diesel heater. This would eliminate the long heater hoses from the TDI engine and potentially allow it to maintain operating temperature better in Cold weather. obviously there is a problem with defrost to deal with so.... just thinking out loud.

your tdi should have no problem maintaining temperature even with the heater core wide open if everything is plumbed properly.
with an egr delete and colder weather, that may have it taking a bit longer to warm up but thats going to happen whether or not youve got a heater core... but once up to temperature itll stay there fine. if its cooling off while youre going down the road thats a different problem

chrismsnt wrote:
I had mine plumbed right into my diesel engine tank. No muss, no fuss!

same

i just used it the other morning to preheat the van for the first time, hadnt tried driving with it before either so thought id give that a whirl.
ive got a webasto so it doesnt have the fancy remote i think you can get with some of the CDH setups.
but i ran out a bit before i was planning to leave, cranked the heater, and came out to a warm van. left it on driving in to work and the rear heater had the back of the van defrosted while the dash heater did the windshield.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I have the Afterburner controller where I can turn on and control temperature from my smart phone Razz
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I have the Afterburner controller where I can turn on and control temperature from my smart phone Razz

jealous! the ideal remote start setup

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

Yes...it has the capability of connecting to your home wifi. It supports MQTT - so you could essentially start it from your phone or any computer in your house. Also if you commuted in the van for work - you can schedule it to automatically pre heat the van on weekday.

"Hey Alexa, start the heater in the van" - is definitely achievable.

This is the only reason I am still with a diesel heater instead of a petrol unit.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

your tdi should have no problem maintaining temperature even with the heater core wide open if everything is plumbed properly.
with an egr delete and colder weather, that may have it taking a bit longer to warm up but thats going to happen whether or not youve got a heater core... but once up to temperature itll stay there fine. if its cooling off while youre going down the road thats a different problem

My TDI does. It's not an issue on the highway where there is a decent load on it but slow driving around town it will not keep up to temp. If the heater is off the temp needle goes to 12' but as soon as the heater valve is opened the temp gauge will drop and not come back. All stock plumbing and went through a few different thermostats. TDIs and winter I tell ya......
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
All stock plumbing and went through a few different thermostats. TDIs and winter I tell ya......

fair enough, i guess where youre at its properly cold during winter!
his winter temps in TX are likely a good bit warmer than even the relatively mild pnw winter here

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
old_man wrote:
All stock plumbing and went through a few different thermostats. TDIs and winter I tell ya......

fair enough, i guess where youre at its properly cold during winter!
his winter temps in TX are likely a good bit warmer than even the relatively mild pnw winter here

Ya, my sinka is my winter wheels. Honestly, I think it's a combination of the following
1) light load in slow driving
2) very efficient TDI
3) heater core acts like a small rad
4) about 20+ feet of heater hose pumping coolant into cold air flow
5) no belly pan to keep some engine heat in.

I did install a chinese heater though. It sort of helps but that thing takes time as well to warm up. The other thing that will help is blocking off fresh airflow through the nose vent.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I concur with posters above who discourage removing or disabling the front heater box. Defrosting is necessary and you can't install the CDH under the dash where the factory heater box is, if that was contemplated.

Since the TDi engines are quite cold-hearted, a radiator block might be a good idea for winter driving, especially in low-load/low speed driving. An electric coolant circulation pump can really help get the hot coolant to the heater core:

VAG # 034-965-561-C
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese diesel heater for on the road driving? Reply with quote

I wasnt sure if you could either, but now run it often on the road, I have no issues running with it at highway speeds, as far as im concerned its a game changer for my air cooled Westi. I still cant get my factory heater booster to work, so this is awesome, not to mention when Im camping here in the North East I have a reliable and clean seat source.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: