Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash wire issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

So I've done some work and replaced the wiper motor, heater core.

Now my turn signals are not working. Hazards work fine, the green dot on the cluster lights with the turn signal but nothing else. Perhaps someone can assist with the trouble shooting.

On my Syncro Doka from Germany the fuse positions seem different so I am not even sure which to check. Another thread indicated the hazard switch has something to do with it. Should the spade connection in the photo have power all of the time? I have nothing, no matter if the hazards are on or the ignition.

Everything was good until I removed the dash, so it would seem I did something. Any other obvious places, other than the fuse? The yellow connector looks beat up, but it did before as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, what di these connectors attach to? They were buried in the wiring.

Finally, maybe, I have these 2 mini connectors. One appears a ground, the other? Anything on the cluster have such small male spades? I cannot seem to find any.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

The turn signal relays sometimes act up after the hazard switch is pulled off. Usually it "self repairs" when the engine ran for a while.

EDIT: UK forum thread about it: https://club8090.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=175662

The two small spades are for the trailer turn signal indicator (small green bulb on the top left side of the cluster) for vans with factory trailer wiring.

Gray/white, Gray/yellow and White/yellow wires are used on the fog light wiring, so the 3 way connector is for the 251941535 fog light switch

Last edited by ZsZ on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
The turn signal relays sometimes act up after the hazard switch is pulled off. Usually it "self repairs" when the engine ran for a while.

The two small spades are for the trailer turn signal indicator (small green bulb on the top left side of the cluster) for vans with factory trailer wiring.

Gray/white, Gray/yellow and White/yellow wires are used on the fog light wiring, so the 3 way connector is for the 251941535 fog light switch

Many thanks, I will clean, reconnect and see if it resolves.

So where would those 2 small terminal connect? It had factory trailer hitch but I just wired a GW trailer kit since I only needed the 4 wires. Safe just to tape these off you think?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

circled the trailer turn signal indicator:

If you don't have the bulb, then just tape them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

Oh, okay. I do not have that, but the brown dash was replaced with black by a PO when a Tristar interior was installed. The cluster must have been replaced as well.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

Resolved this by trying yet another new fuse and they then worked. Will see if the fuse lasts or blows to indicate something else wrong.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dash wire issues Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

....Should the spade connection in the photo have power all of the time? I have nothing, no matter if the hazards are on or the ignition.

Everything was good until I removed the dash, so it would seem I did something. Any other obvious places, other than the fuse?

Finally, maybe, I have these 2 mini connectors. One appears a ground...

'88 -'89 main wiring diagram P 97.131 shows 15 positive to fuse S19 then to black/blue wire to flasher switch 15. Ignition on, you should see voltage at that wire.

Yes. The brown wire with small exposed female connector is from frame ground. Is there a brown ground wire connected to flasher switch?

Check the ground stars at LH end of dash for any wires that might've pulled loose.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: